Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Decking - 2 parter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idling_Crisis

Hello,

This is a two parter question. I have asked multiple professors and PTOs these questions and I have been told multiple answers and would like some final real answers. Here goes:

1.) The rule books read that a player loses when he/she cannot draw a card at the beginning of their turn. I have been told by a PTO that a player loses at anytime during their turn that they cannot draw/discard when a card states for them to draw/discard more than they have cards left in their deck, even if it were in the middle of the turn. I then asked other professors and they said that the player draws what he/she can during the middle of his/her turn, and play continues. They lose if a card cannot be drawn at the beginning of the turn only. So my question is, when does decking a player actually occur?

2.) This came up at the prerelease but could be used with any pokemon who discard top cards of the deck. The example I will use is with the new Salamence Ex, but you can also rule it with T-tar Ex (UF), Camerupt Ex, etc... Salamence's first attack reads, 150 damage. Discard the top 5 cards of your deck. I was told by a PTO that if a player does this with 5 or less cards left in his deck, he/she loses with the announce of the attack. After asking some professors, they told me that the player does the damage and discards what he/she can up to the 5 and the play continues. So my question with this is, when an attack calls for discarding cards from a deck, and the said player has that amount or less cards than he/she is required for the attack does: a) player decks and loses at announce of attack. b) Player can not complete requirements for the attack so attack can not be used. c) Player discards all remaining cards, and the attack and play continue as normal with player losing at the beginning of their next turn if they did not win this turn.

X.) And with these questions a professor mentioned another rule I wanted to know if it were true or not. If an attack copies another attack from another pokemon (For example the new Shiftry Ex, or Alakazam*), yet the attack (for example Lugia Ex) requires to discard a L, R, W energy and said pokemon does not have any or only some of those energies. So my question is, does the pokemon not use the attack, or does it use the attack and discard whatever energy required for the attack that it does have, discarding none if there isn't any.

Thanks for these clear ups, LMK!

1) Decking ONLY occurs when a player cannot draw a card at the start of their turn.

2) When an attack requires you to discard as an affect of the attack, as in Salamance ex, and there are not that many cards left in the player's deck, that player discards all their remaining cards and play continues. At the beginning of their next turn they would lose if they cannot draw a card.

X) If you copy an attack that has an affect requiring you to discard a certain type of energy, but you do not have it, or if you only have part of what it requires you to discard then you do what you can.

However, in some cases the attack states that if you do not discard a certain type of energy the attack does nothing. There are other cases when the discarding of a certain type of energy is required in order to do the attack. In those cases, you would have to discard the correct energy or the attack fails.

BDS

In the example you gave (Lugia ex), if Shiftry ex had no Water, Electric, or Fire energy, or anything that provided those colors, it can do the damage without the discard.
Along the lines that BDS warns about, if you were trying to copy Neo Genesis Lugia's similar attack, then it would fail! That's because NG Lugia's attack has the wording "...in order to use this attack".

Regarding that PTO.... hopefully he/she doesn't judge their events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back