Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Delta Storm - T8 at NW Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyranitar7

Delta Storm – Tyranitar ex δ

Delta Storm is the deck that I have been playing since Cities this year, and before I stop playing it at Battle Roads I want to share it with the Gym. I have not seen anyone else play this deck, so I would like to know what people think of it, and if anyone else plays Tyranitar ex δ.

Below is the deck list (give or take a card) I used to get top 8 in the Oregon State Championship and North West Regionals. It uses Pinsir δ and Fearow δ to Swarm Tyranitar ex δ.

Version 1 – Pinsir Swarm:
Pokemon: (22)

4 Tyranitar ex δ (DF 99/101)
2 Pupitar δ (DF 59/101)
4 Larvitar δ (DF 52/101)
2 Rayquaza ex δ (DF 97/101)
2 Pinsir δ (DF 9/101)
2 Fearow δ (CG 18/100)
2 Spearow (CG 61/100)
1 Xatu δ (DF 25/101)
1 Natu δ (DF 55/101)
1 Tyranitar δ (DS 16/112)
1 Mantine δ (DF 20/101)

Energy: (14)
10 Lightning Energy
4 d Rainbow Energy

Trainers: (24)
3 TV Reporter
1 Steven’s Advice
3 Professor Elm’s Training Method
2 Lanette’s Net Search
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Holon Lass
1 Copycat
2 Scott
3 Rare Candy
3 Warp Point
3 Crystal Beach
1 Windstorm

Below is the second version of the deck. Although I have not had as much success with this in tournaments, I think it is the better list, and it will be the one I focus on in this article.

Version 2 – Castform Setup:
Pokemon: (24)

4 Tyranitar ex δ (DF 99/101)
2 Pupitar δ (DF 59/101)
4 Larvitar δ (DF 52/101)
2 Rayquaza ex δ (DF 97/101)
4 Holon’s Castform (HF 44/110
2 Fearow δ (CG 18/100)
2 Spearow (CG 61/100)
1 Xatu δ (DF 25/101)
1 Natu δ (DF 55/101)
1 Tyranitar δ (DS 16/112)
1 Mantine δ (DF 20/101)

Energy: (12)
12 Lightning Energy

Trainers: (24)
4 Holon Transceiver
2 Holon Mentor
2 Holon Researcher
1 Holon Adventurer
1 Holon Scientist
1 Holon Lass
1 Holon Farmer
3 Rare Candy
3 Warp Point
1 Giant Stump
1 Power Tree
1 Copycat
1 Scott
2 Windstorm

Okay, now for the list card by card.

Tyranitar ex δ
Tyranitar can 2HKO any pokemon anywhere, even on the bench. That’s really the basis for this deck. Using your Electromark attack you can put a Shock-wave marker on any of your opponents Pokemon for LC, then for LLC you can use Shock-wave to KO any pokemon with a marker on it. What makes the deck really work, though, is Tyranitar’s third attack, which can do 70 damage or 90 to a stage 2 pokemon for LCC. Tyranitar also has a whopping 150 HP, which makes him quite hard to KO.

displayimage.php

Pupitar δ
The stage 1 card of any stage 2 pokemon is usually overlooked, put Pupitars have a history of being pretty good. Hyper Beam does 20 damage, and can discard your opponent’s energy.

Larvitar δ
For 1 lightning energy and a good dice roll you can paralyze the defending pokemon. That can really slow down your opponent’s Castform, or other starter.

Rayquaza ex δRayquaza ex δ is another key card in this deck. He has a lot of HP for a basic (don’t forget he can’t be mentored for) and can hit the bench for as much as 50 damage with Special Circuit. Also, if you are down on prizes his Special Circuit attack only costs L and his Sky-high Claws attack, which does 70 damage, only costs LL. I can’t tell you how many times he has saved me.

displayimage.php

Holon’s Castform/Pinsir δI think we all know what Castform does, and for good reason. This is arguably the best starter in the format. Not only does he set you up by drawing 3 or 4 cards for you per turn, but he also acts as energy and can be mentored for. So why use Pinsir? Well, Tyranitar ex δ works best when you swarm him, and Pinsir δ actually swarms Tyranitar ex δ faster than Castform. Delta Call for Fearow δ, then search for 2 Pokemon per turn. The problem is that he only gets you the Pokemon you need, and not the energy or trainers.

displayimage.php

Fearow δ
His Pokepower lets you search your deck for any pokemon with δ on its card. This is crucial for swarming Tyranitar ex δ.

Spearow
He evolves into Fearow. He can also Spearhead for a card.

Xatu δThis is a critical card in the Raieggs match-up, and a few other red face paint match-ups that I have come across as well. His Extra Feather Pokebody lets Tyranitar do 100 to a stage 2 Pokemon, or 80 to a basic or stage 1.

Natu δ
He evolves into Xatu. That’s pretty much it.

Tyranitar δThis is another key card in the deck. His fire type is great against Metanite and most grass Pokemon, which helps with your weakness. But the best part of this Tyranitar is his Crush Draw Pokepower, it lets you reveal the top card of your deck and if it is a basic energy you can attach it to one of your Pokemon.

displayimage.php

Mantine δBy itself Mantine is not that great, but when combined with Tyranitar δ it is. Its Power Circulation Pokepower lets you move an energy from your discard to the top of you deck. Then attach that to one of your pokemon with Tyranitar δ. I call it PowerDraw.

displayimage.php

Lightning Energy
Okay, this one’s pretty self explanatory.

Holon Transceiver
Worshiped by many, feared by those without delta decks… This card is the backbone of the Holon Engine. It can act as any of 6 different supporters, even if you have already discarded the one you want to use. How can you not play 4?

displayimage.php

Holon Mentor
This card is why Holon’s Castform works. It lets you fill your bench so you get the Pokemon you need, and can take advantage of Delta Draw. The Holon Engine just wouldn’t work without Mentor; it’d be like Pokemon without Pikachu!

Holon Researcher
This card is good because it lets you search for any δ Pokemon. With this you can grab Fearow δ, Tyranitar δ, Rayquaza ex δ, or almost anyone else who you need.

Holon Adventurer
Didn’t get what you needed with Castform? Never fear, Adventurer is here!

Holon Scientist
Is it just me or does he look evil? Seriously though, “Scientist for 12! Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!”.

Holon Lass
I know what you’re thinking: ‘take out Lass for another Adventurer’, but I really like this card and have had a lot of luck with it. It can even be combined with Mantine δ so that you never Lass for 0.

Holon Farmer
You can get back Mantine δ, Tyranitar δ, or other things that you need with this card. It can also put energy back into your deck, but you probably want to keep the energy in your discard pile because of Mantine δ.

Rare Candy
This is one of my favorite cards ever. It has saved me so many times: Mentor for Natu δ, Fearow δ for Xatu δ, Rare Candy and (POOF!) now Tyranitar ex δ can OHKO you. I actually won a game that I would have lost in Oregon States doing something like that. You think a Strength Charm would be easier…

Warp Point
This is my Favorite trainer of all time, and it rocks in this deck. You can completely disrupt them, and still be able to attack any of their Pokemon, not just the one they brought up.

Giant Stump
It may seem counterintuitive to play this card in a deck that commonly has a full bench, but this is actually one of the best trainers here. It can save your damaged Mantine δ, or Pokemon ex, and be wonderfully detrimental to something like Metanite.

displayimage.php

Power Tree
This is another Stadium that can be counter productive, because you need energy in your discard pile to use Mantine’s effect, but this has saved me quite a few times early game.

Copycat
This is another card that has saved me countless times. It can be used to copy your opponents huge hand mid-game, and get whatever you need, or late game to replenish your deck if you are running low.

Scott
This pretty much acts as a second Giant Stump or Power Tree, and can also get supporters like Copycat or Adventurer.

Windstorm
Last but not least, it’s Windstorm. Blow away those pesky Cessation Crystals and the competition!

And now…
The Matchups:

Raieggs: 70/30
This is the matchup that I have had the most experience with. If you get a Castform start and a Transceiver or something, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. You can OHKO anything they throw at you, IF you have a Xatu on the bench and they don’t have a Cessation Crystal active. The problem is they probably do. Also, it can be slower to setup without Fearow’s power. But the game shouldn’t be too hard to win with a few well placed Windstorms and Warp Points. 70/30, 40/60 with Pinsir, 75/35 or better if you play Eggs

R-Gon: 60/40 (I vote for calling it Flytech)
If you outplay your opponent this should be pretty easy to win. Even with all of their types, and their main attacker being grass, they can’t hit your weakness. Flygon δ takes 3 turns to knock you out if they have not already hit your bench, and if they bring out Exeggutor δ to snipe your benched Pokemon you can just hit them back for a OHKO (with a Xatu on the field). They are going to have to bring out Flygon ex δ to 2HKO you (or try something crazy with a pair of Mews) and you can 2HKO them back, even if they retreat. You can also 2HKO Rayquaza ex δ, while it can only do 140 in 2 hits. Watch out for your benched Fearow δ, Mantine δ, and especially Xatu δ, and have a Giant Stump ready if you need it. 60/40

Flygod: 60/40
You can disrupt them and take a few prizes by knocking out Fearow δ /Nidoqueen δ, Altaria ex δ, Eevolutions, or whatever else they are setting up. Just don’t try doing this when you’re staring down an angry Flygon. Getting the jump on them really helps in this match, but just out play them and you should do fine. 60/40

Absolutions: 60/40
I have only played one game against this deck, so I’m pretty much just guessing at this one. You can 2HKO their benched Pokemon ex, and they really can’t 2HKO you. Just take them out on the bench and you should be good to go. That said, don’t underestimate them this deck. I lost the one game I have played to this deck. Levi took 4 prizes in 1 turn to win the game! I even saw it coming 2 turns in advance and couldn’t do anything about it. It might come down to good flips with Super Scoop Up and how well you play Giant Stump. One thing’s for sure though, this is a fun match up! 60/40

Mewtric: 30/70
I’ve also only played 1 game against Mewtrick in a tournament, but I think I have a pretty good idea of how it plays out. If they can Disconnect turn 2 and lock in a Holon Legacy, which they usually can, you’ve got to get pretty lucky to win. You 2HKO them and they 2HKO you, but you can’t Rare Candy, Warp Point, PowerDraw, Delta Sign, or even play a stupid Bill for that matter, so good use of Rayquaza ex δ is essential. You can KO 2 Mew ex with both of your Rayquaza ex δ, (yes, they will probably be KOed in the process) then go after a Manectric ex or something with you fully supportered Tyranitar δ or Tyranitar ex δ. It is not easy, but it is winnable. 30/70, it’s about 50/50 with Pinsir, Eggs can really help in this one.

Flariados: 30/70
I haven’t worried much about Flariados (except at Oregon States!) but if you ever do run into one it will probably be a tight game. You OHKO Ariados which is good, but if they drop a Flareon ex they can do 140 damage to you! Plus you are burned and confused. It can really come down flips. Rayquaza ex δ might be your best bet a lot of the time. Play well, get lucky, and you can win it. 30/70

BOOM: 75/25
Usually you delta draw once for a few cards, and then they KO Castform. Just send in Rayquaza ex δ and hit them for 50 with 1 energy. By the time they can do 90 and force an even prize exchange, you’ve practically won the game. They stop you from playing trainers if you have a big bench, but this is one match that you really don’t need your techs. A good setup is a Rayquaza ex δ active, another one benched, and a Tyranitar δ on the bench. If you get in trouble just use Giant Stump. Safeguard doesn’t hurt much; you can OHKO the Banette with Safeguard with Tyranitar δ. The one thing that can really hurt is Safeguard if they lock in Crystal Beach. But if you play this match well it is really a synch. 75/25

Machamp: 20/80
Any deck that doesn’t rely on Pokemon ex and can do 80+ damage a turn is going to do pretty well against you. Especially if they don’t use Pokepowers. Machamp is defiantly one of your worst matchups. Luckily I have only gone against 1 Machamp in a tournament and I actually won that one. 20/80, a little better if you play Eggs

Metanite: 70/30
This one’s pretty good for you. They need Dragonite δ to work and if you KO it pretty quickly this match can be won fairly easily. You can also OHKO Metagross δ with Tyranitar δ, which is great. This may come down to how they tech it out, so be careful for Lugia ex and those other big hitters. 70/30, if you play Eggs it gets even better, Split Bomb then OHKO then with Tyranitar ex δ

Infernape: 50/50
Get lucky and you can win this. Once you are setup with a Xatu δ you can OHKO there Infernapes, so it is an even prize exchange, plus they’ve got to scramble to send something else at you. You can also disrupt them pretty nicely with Rayquaza ex δ by hitting their Delcattys. They are usually faster than you though, which can be hard to deal with. You can win this by hitting them harder and faster than they hit you. Be careful about the lv. X, which can often decide this Match. Outplay them and get lucky. 50/50

Empoleon: 80/20
They’re weak to you so once you get setup this is pretty much an auto-win. If they use Seaking they can KO Castform T2, but if you send out Rayquaza ex δ you should be fine. Be fast, get the cards you need when you need them, and this should be no problem. 80/20, 95/5 with Pinsir

Torterra: 25/75
Going against your weakness is tough, but I really didn’t have a problem with the last grass deck (Venasaur, Magainium ex and some grassy techs), partly because everything could be OHKOed with Tyranitar δ, and mostly because no one very good was playing it. Now this grass deck is a viable strategy, and we might start seeing it all over the place at Battle Roads. Play the game well, and you can still win. Use Tyranitar δ to OHKO them, then bring out Rayquaza ex δ when they KO Tyranitar δ, and use Farmer/Delta Sign and repeat the process.

Here are a few techs you may want to consider:

Mew * δ
If water weakness is big in your area Mew might be the way to go. Mew * δ can OHKO an Infernape, and he can also really help with T2 RK9. Also he is pretty good against low ex decks, and could help to even out the prize exchange.

Mew δ
If Metanite and Torterra are giving your a problem your can tech in a Mew δ. He can be quite helpful in some situations, but I think your fire Tyranitar is usually enough. If there are a lot of Torterras around you though, Mew δ could be invaluable.

Exeggutor δ
This is something that I have been seriously considering for a while. He can do 70 for CC if you have a full bench, which you often do, and can Split Bomb for 30 to 2 benched Pokemon. This is really great if your follow up with Rayquaza ex δ, or if you are 30 away from a OHKO with Tyranitar ex δ. Even a really thin line of Eggs can turn a seemingly hopeless matchup like Lucario/Machamp in your favor if used well. Exeggutor δ wasn't necessary in my pre-DP metagame, but it has become an ESSENTIAL part of the deck now that my metagame has changed.

Tropius δ
Tropius?!?! Yep, it seems crazy, but this is the one deck where it just might work. Tropical heal can be game winning against Flariados and Mewtric. Burned and confused? Don't worry, just play Tropius δ and you are back in action. Are Mew ex, Mew * δ, and Mew δ giving you trouble? Just Tropical Heal and now the prize exchange is in your favor!

One really big reason why this deck works is that almost any deck that uses Pokemon ex is at a disadvantage to you. You have the ability to attack anything, while they usually can only attack your active Pokemon. I love that!

Last edited:
u are really underestimating metanite dont cha?

That match up is based mostly on my tournament experience. A good Metanite player can be hard to beat, but you can usually do it. Rayquaza ex δ can OHKO Beldum δ, so they have to wait for a rare candy before they play it. Metanite sets up really quickly, but you can still slow them down a few turns with Rayquaza ex δ. I have won a lot more games to Metanite than I have lost, so I still stand by my matchup; but thanks for your input, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

i have played t-tar for a long time i love the card i is either that or flygon for BR im not sure i will most likly play t-tar it is so good and u list matches mine a bit

Hey D-man great article

I really enjoyed your article. Keep up the good work on your deck. How are you going to handle the loss of Tranciever, Lass and Fire Tyranitar next year? Do you think this deck can still work next season?

R-Gon: 75/25 (I vote for calling it Flytech)
If you outplay your opponent this should be pretty easy to win. Even with all of their types, and their main attacker being grass, they can’t hit your weakness. Flygon δ takes 3 turns to knock you out, and if they bring out Exeggutor δ to finish off your benched Pokemon you can just hit them back for a OHKO. They are going to have to bring out Flygon ex δ to 2HKO you (or try something crazy with a pair of Mews) and you can 2HKO them back, even if they retreat. You can also 2HKO Rayquaza ex δ, while it can only do 140 in 2 hits. Watch out for your benched Fearow δ and Mantine δ, and have a Giant Stump ready if you need it. 75/25

I don't think this is the case at all. Here is what'll happen:

Exeggutor comes out and splits two ttars. You're at 120hp now. I send up flygon and swing for 60. You're at 60. You can either electromark or do 60 to me (if I have a metal you're in for a rough world. You'll do 50, leaving me at a 3hko). If you electromark I can briney or retreat and stump and you've just lost a turn. Now I have a turn advantage on you and I can use another flygon and KO you. Now you're down two prizes and we can trade back and forth where you will lose.

Also, r-gon can easily electromark you. If you don't have a ttar active they can mew* and mark a benched ttar ex so that if it comes up a mew d or mew* can KO it.

The r-gon player won't use exs unless they have to, and if they do they'll just be prize swapping.

R-Gon has too many options and too much consistency to have that much of a disadvantage. With a good exeggutor bomb (you HAVE to 2hko this guy) and timing my evolving/stump/briney, I can outmaneuver you. You make the claim that you 2hko anything... but fail to recognize the use of briney or stump. All I need is to use either one once to get a HUGE advantage.

What about during setup where if they shockwave mark anything over than a castform you'll evolve? You could easily draw 20 cards that way and just easily KO the Tyrans with allthe anti-Flygon ex techs that work.

Or just Rayquaza* it.

ryanvergel,

Good point, I have had a good deal of success against R-Gon, but that's just been in testing. I haven't played any R-Gons in a high level tournament, so my knowledge of this matchup isn't the greatest. I'll revise my matchup taking what you said into consideration.

However, I don't think that they will be able to Split Bomb two Tyranitars unless you seriously misplay this match. If I first set up Crush Draw Tyranitar and maybe Rayquaza ex and then a Xatu, (not hard to do with Fearow and Castform) and after that bring out Tyranitar ex, and quickly power him up with energy acceleration, I think I'll have a much better chance of winning. You can Split Bomb 1 Tyranitar ex and something else, and then I can OHKO Exeggutor. So then you can 2HKO that Tyranitar ex, and I can 2HKO you, even with a Metal attached. The prize exchange is in your favor, but it stops there. To keep it even you would need bring out another Exeggutor and Split Bomb again, but most R-Gons only play a 1-1 line, and I can still OHKO Exeggutor and hold off on my second Tyranitar. This could be a much closer match than I thought, but I still think it is in Tyranitar's favor.

Xatu is a critical card in this matchup, and I think you may be over looking it. In most games I just end up discarding it and not needing it, but it can really be the tipping point for this match, Raieggs, and some others. Without Xatu I might put the game in R-Gon's favor, but with Xatu I OHKO your Eggs, and 2HKO your Flygons.

JandPDS,

I think this deck will survive the rotation. The Oregon State Championship was only my third tournament, so I didn't have a full Holon Engine to use, and I still did pretty well without it. I lost only to the guy who won the tournament, and he was playing Raieggs, which was a very bad matchup for me at the time because I didn't have any windstorms, or the Castform drawing power to get them. So I would be 2HKOing him and he would be 2HKOing me for twice the prizes.

I think doing that well in the second largest State Championship in the country after only doing OP for like 3 weeks PROVES how good this deck is, and that it doesn’t need the Holon Engine to run well.

One thing the Oregon State Championship did have, was a lot of EXs. Tyranitar ex δ is SO good against decks with Pokemon ex, but it can be pretty crummy if you are both 2HKOing each other and they are taking 2 prizes for your 1. A lot of people are DP crazy now, and that can be a problem for Tyranitar if they are doing 80 or more damage a turn and have more than 100 HP on their stage 2s, and 80 on their other Pokemon. I love Tyranitar, but I'll be playing something else at Battle Roads this week.

Magic_Umbreon,

A lot of people really underestimate Tyranitar ex δ for the reason that when a Pokemon with a marker on it evolves the marker is removed. The thing is, like most Tyranitars he has another attack! Don't forget: 70 damage, or 90 to a stage 2. Tyranitar will never let you draw 20 cards during setup, and sooner or later you'll have to evolve. Then Tyranitar ex δ can Electromark you.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I added some useful Techs, Including Exeggutor δ which is critical in the new DP metagame.

Last edited:
I would use the DS Pupitar with free retreat. My sister who runs T-tar ex δ, lost a game because she didn't have an energy to retreat Pupitar DF.

I would use the DS Pupitar with free retreat. My sister who runs T-tar ex δ, lost a game because she didn't have an energy to retreat Pupitar DF.

Thanks for the advice. I usually like to be able to discard my opponents Holon Pokemon, but now that there are less of them around I think free retreat is the better option. I guess what I said about the stage 1 being overlooked is more true than I thought. :lol:

I was actually playing a deck really similar to this at my states. Same basic principle T-tar ex delta and Rayquaza ex delta. It played surprisingly well the greatest part is putting shock-wave markers as much as you could and then t-tar get knocked out then you'd just send out the other on to ko all the shock waved pkmn. I called the deck the shock E.R., just for a good kick. Fly-63H or w/e you wanna call it, match up was tough. I was actually thinking about bringing this deck back to life but the biggest problem was how much Latios ex delta tore this deck into pieces, I'd have t-tar ex out they'd bring him out Ice Barrier, I'd retreat to try and kill it but I can't, so then next turn they retreat Lati for free and KO whoever I sent out. So then I teched in Wobuffet and he helped a little but I could never find myself wanting to attach NRG to him. I'm hoping to fix it a little to see what I can do. Right now it seems like Delchar is the deck to beat.

--.tend

Latios ex really can't hurt you. If you want to KO it, just hit it once with Crush Draw Tyranitar, then follow up with a Special Circuit from Rayquaza ex δ (once they attack with someone else), or tech in a thin Egg line.

But just leave Tyranitar ex δ out. Latios does 30 to you. 30! That would take 5 turns to KO Tyranitar ex δ, and in that time you can keep hitting the bench and take out whatever they are building up. Realistically they can hit you for twice for 60 to set up a KO, but I wouldn't even worry about that. Latios ex has been a very popular card, and I have encountered a lot of them in tournaments, and it has NEVER been a serious problem for me. But if you are that concerned just tech in eggs or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back