Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Deoxys EX and Eeveelutions Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deoxys EX and Eeveelutions (so far only Eevee) have been revealed!

http://pokebeach.com/2012/11/deoxys-ex-eeveelutions-from-bw8-spiral-force-thunder-knuckle

IF Deoxys' Ability can stack...

than what? I'm by no means saying its bad, but having 4 deoxys ex in play for +40 damage is hardly worth giving your opponent access to all their prizes through Mewtwo. And since it doesn't apply to itself, what is the intended target? There really aren't a lot of good Plasma Pokemon revealed. I could see it being good if we get that Plasma Medal, but again, what Pokemon do you think is so absolute in power that it will justify the support?

The only one i can think of is Mewtwo, who alongside Plasma Frigate, Medal and Colress machine would certainly be annoying. But its as easy as Enhanced Hammer or even Tool Scrapper to wreck that. It will definately be something to keep in mind with the release of more Plasma pokes, but just +10 isn't all that great, and the attack relies entirely on your opponent, after you attach 1/4th of your available Plasma energy to this guy.

Lugia is the other obvious combo here, stacking it to eaily take 2 prizes, but i feel Lugia with energy support is going to be all DCE/Plasma energy, easy for Hammers to strip down and leave you with nothing. Though i wouldn't want to be starring down a T1 Lugia + 2 Deoxys ex for anything :eek:

As I read the card, it appears that the +10 is not limited to the Active Pokemon, like Aerodactyl and Pluspower. If that's the case, and it's stackable, the ability is pretty good -- Kyurem for 70 spread anyone.

I already have about 4 theorymons for Deoxys EX.

Pair with Magnezone Plasma. Gyro Ball for 80+ stackable damage, switch to a new Pokemon per the attacks effect. Play disruptive Supporters in the process.

Play with Giratina and Poison Hypnotic Beam along with Colress Machine. Giratina does 50 +50 with a status condition on the defending. 100 + would be pretty sweet.

Landorus EX with Plasma Badge and Plasma Frigate. One or two Deoxys and a plus power means 60 first turn. Unlike Tornadus EX Landorus wouldn't require a Stadium. Plasma Frigate is here for no Water weakness.

Then there is always Thundurus EX. Not only can Thundurus do decent damage for 1 Energy, but can pull an Energy outta the discard. Since it doesn't say "a Basic Energy", you could pull a Special Energy (i.e. Plasma Energy) out and directly onto one your Plasma Pokemon. That being said you could make an Eels deck with Thundurus EX and Lugia EX. Given that Lugia discards Plasma Energy to attack, Thundurus could be a valuable card to recycle Special Energy in any deck.

Last edited:
Then there is always Thundurus EX. Not only can Thundurus do decent damage for 1 Energy, but can pull an Energy outta the discard. Since it doesn't say "a Basic Energy", you could pull a Special Energy (i.e. Plasma Energy) out and directly onto one your Plasma Pokemon.

That's exactly what I thought when I read those scans. I don't understand why people are so hyped on the +10 damage from Deoxys EX. At best, Deoxys EX will probably be a 1-of tech as a Plasma Ball searchable Pluspower. At worst, it won't see play. That's not saying that it's impossible make Deoxys EX part of an integral strategy of a deck, but I just don't think that's very likely.

Thundurus EX's ability to grab special energy cards out of the discard pile seems to be pretty good although we have yet to see whether that's better than just straight-up playing 4 Recycle.

I

Then there is always Thundurus EX. Not only can Thundurus do decent damage for 1 Energy, but can pull an Energy outta the discard. Since it doesn't say "a Basic Energy", you could pull a Special Energy (i.e. Plasma Energy) out and directly onto one your Plasma Pokemon. That being said you could make an Eels deck with Thundurus EX and Lugia EX. Given that Lugia discards Plasma Energy to attack, Thundurus could be a valuable card to recycle Special Energy in any deck.

Thundurus ex + Lugia ex?

On Deoxys itself, I would have to agree with its use being best as a searchable pluspower. Such a use for it makes the card adaptable, so you can play it down only when you absolutely need to and it wouldn't put you in Mewtwo trouble. The only problem it has is if you start with it. At least in SPs you could Poke Turn your tech out of the active position and to the safety of your hand, but not with Plasma.

I already have about 4 theorymons for Deoxys EX.

Pair with Magnezone Plasma. Gyro Ball for 90+ stackable damage, switch to a new Pokemon per the attacks effect. Play disruptive Supporters in the process.

Play with Giratina and Poison Hypnotic Beam along with Colress Machine. Giratina does 50 +50 with a status condition on the defending. 100 + would be pretty sweet.

Landorus EX with Plasma Badge and Plasma Frigate. One or two Deoxys and a plus power means 60 first turn. Unlike Tornadus EX Landorus wouldn't require a Stadium. Plasma Frigate is here for no Water weakness.

The bold sentence doesn't make much sense. You are relying on 6 cards for Landorus as opposed to 3 for Tornadus. You would need Landorus EX, an energy, the medal, 2 Deoxys and a pluspower. Where Tornadus relies on itself, stadium, and DCE. The only pro about Landorus would be hitting a lot of things for weakness but that is going to be a hard thing to do on the first turn where this combo would really make a huge difference.

All I can ask myself is why? Deoxys is obviously not going to be used for attacking. The +10 to a PLASMA poke is not worth the fact that you are basically screaming: "Hey Mewtwo, come kill me." And I know that would incite a Mewtwo war if the deck is running it, but your opponent is already in the lead as it is an EX. The plasma medal/frigate combo is not working for me. To use the Mewtwo combo you would need the plasma energy, frigate, and medal to work. And this is under the assumption your opponent does not have: Tool Scrapper, a stadium, or a hammer. Any of those would make Mewtwo a Target, and then subsequently Deoxys the next turn. The Lugia EX combo is interesting but still has the same pitfalls. Basically what everyone has already said.

Thundurus EX however, is a perfect card for Lugia EX.

^ Yeah, I didn't think too much about Landorus EX. But Plasma Badge is so that Hammerhead would be plus'd by Deo's Ability. Plasma Frigate was just kind of a toss up. Since you need Plasma Energy for it to work, I guess it would be a waste of deck space.

It may be six cards for Landorus, but it spreads. If Deoxys isn't limited to the active, then you could be hitting MULTIPLE Pokémon for 60 T1. That's actually really threatening.

EDIT: Deoxys is limited to Active. Ah, well.

Last edited:
So, I'm just going to say I am excited that there is another Glaceon coming out, and that it has an ability, and its attack does a lot of damage, and that 60 is a good number when there are evolving basics in the format, and I am really excited.

If Deoxys has a Plasma Energy attached to it, can't it OHKO a Mewtwo EX that just attacked? It says 30 points plus another 30 per Energy attached to the Defending Pokémon. X-Ball requires at least two Energy to use, so that means 90 points of damage, then Weakness kicks in so that Mewtwo EX is OHKOed (10 HP left if it had PlusPower or Giant Cape equipped).

For that matter, Mewtwo EX needs extra Energy or Energy on Deoxys EX or a PlusPower to OHKO Deoxys EX. While those requirements are not hard to meet, if you do attach a third Energy now all someone has to do is drop Blend Energy GRPD, Prism Energy, or an actual Psychic Energy then use Colress Machine to attach a Plasma Energy from your deck so that another Deoxys EX can OHKO Mewtwo EX, even if it was completely healthy and had Eviolite attached.

Forgive me if I am being blind, but why are people looking down on the attack of Deoxys EX? I realize it doesn't get a boost from its own Ability (or from any other copies of itself), but if your deck can meet that (P) requirement (I assume most Plasma decks will run Colress Machine/Plasma Energy - I could be wrong) you've got an anti-Mewtwo EX attacker that also provides a +10 damage to your other Plasma Pokémon.

In fact, with a lot of the more Energy hungry cards, 30 + 30 per Energy (yes, I know it eats up a Plasma Energy) isn't exactly terrible. I wouldn't build a deck around this attack, but for what would otherwise be a Bench-sitting Basic Pokémon EX with 170 HP? Doesn't seem bad to me.

Yeah! I'm really hype for another eevee deck. I can't wait to see what they all do.

I see what you all mean with Deoxys buuuuut, I still think giving lugia the ability to take down an EX is strong. I know at least initially Deoxys will see play but I think the real story here is Thundurus.

If Deoxys has a Plasma Energy attached to it, can't it OHKO a Mewtwo EX that just attacked? It says 30 points plus another 30 per Energy attached to the Defending Pokémon. X-Ball requires at least two Energy to use, so that means 90 points of damage, then Weakness kicks in so that Mewtwo EX is OHKOed (10 HP left if it had PlusPower or Giant Cape equipped).

For that matter, Mewtwo EX needs extra Energy or Energy on Deoxys EX or a PlusPower to OHKO Deoxys EX. While those requirements are not hard to meet, if you do attach a third Energy now all someone has to do is drop Blend Energy GRPD, Prism Energy, or an actual Psychic Energy then use Colress Machine to attach a Plasma Energy from your deck so that another Deoxys EX can OHKO Mewtwo EX, even if it was completely healthy and had Eviolite attached.

Forgive me if I am being blind, but why are people looking down on the attack of Deoxys EX? I realize it doesn't get a boost from its own Ability (or from any other copies of itself), but if your deck can meet that (P) requirement (I assume most Plasma decks will run Colress Machine/Plasma Energy - I could be wrong) you've got an anti-Mewtwo EX attacker that also provides a +10 damage to your other Plasma Pokémon.

In fact, with a lot of the more Energy hungry cards, 30 + 30 per Energy (yes, I know it eats up a Plasma Energy) isn't exactly terrible. I wouldn't build a deck around this attack, but for what would otherwise be a Bench-sitting Basic Pokémon EX with 170 HP? Doesn't seem bad to me.

I personally like Deoxys' attack. It's too bad its ability won't effect it... but I think the good part about its attack is that (like you said) it can always revenge OHKO a Mewtwo. If it attacked, it definitely had 2 or more energy on it. So long as there is no Eviolite or Giant Cape (even then... 3 energy on a Mewtwo and it doesn't matter) it will always get the KO.

But the best part is that Deoxys is a 2 energy attacker. So Mewtwo can't just drop a double to make the KO back. It needs one more energy. Some decks with acceleration can do it, but others will not. I think you covered the rest of the benefits. Basically I think Deoxys can take out Mewtwos better than Mewtwo itself can take out other Mewtwos.

Well, here's what I think about the 2 EXs.

Deoxys- A pretty good Plasma Pokemon. It allows damage to stack on and can 1 shot Mewtwo with ease. In other words, there's no way you can't deny this Pokemon as a good Mewtwo counter for Plasma decks.

Thudurus- This is one of the best Plasma EXs in the game I would believe. Getting Plasma energy out of the Discard Pile is necessary for many Pokemon. Lugia EX preferred since it discards them. Really good Lightning-type EX that everyone will want. Trust me.

That Umbreon is HAWT, it better be good. The fact that it has an ability will hopefully make it viable. Can't wait for translations!

When Deoxys EX says that all Team Plasma Pokemon (except Deoxys EX) do 10 more damage, it's only referencing itself and not other Deoxys EXs right? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to say "All of your other Team Plasma Pokemon do 10 more damage"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back