Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dialga G/Garchomp C Counters

Happiny13

I have a feeling this deck will be popular at Cities. I play Gengar/Nidoqueen. I use 2 relicanth for SP matchups. I have not played this deck since Luxape was made ,so I'm not sure on the matchup now. I own a Mewtwo lv X I could use. Dialga X makes its body useless but Gengar X can shuffle Dialga X back into the deck. The match might have to be focussed on Gengar Xs attack, power and shadow room because poltergiest is affected by resistence and spec. metals. Does anyone think Gechamp has a better matchup? I'm not sure how that does against Gyarados, though.

Last edited:
The two best options to beating Dialga G is to either - cut off their draw support ( Claydol ) and limit their access to Special Metals. If this fails, a suprise 1HKO will take out all the Special Metal at once, and little builds run Conductive Quarry. Best bet is Machamp's Take Out, or hit it's fire weakness.

If u have a way to get Dialga to the bench Dark Palm is a really nice answer. AmbipomG is also cool because u can move the metals to their Claydol or something.

Is Gechamp really that effective against Dialga? I like Ambipom G in there, but I don't like the 2 energy cost.

tomb/gardylade/expert belt/queen ATE some dialga/chomps played by our area's best players around here. I dont think champ works anymore, seeing as deafen makes things predictable and then tox g and unown g just end it from there.

DEAFEN FOR GAME AGAINST PORYGON-Z! AND YES DIALGA WILL SPRAY IT!

A good and fast Deafen Lock should shut down Gardy. And you just need to be smart against Gallade, though it does, admittedly, complicate things. Queen and Spiritomb don't matter if you get a fast-enough Level X in play.

There's not many cards that can "surprise OHKO" Dialga. Usually, they won't have much after you Deafen, Deafen, etc., Switch, drop Garchomp, and KO Claydol after Wagering/Looker's. Or just KO'ing Claydol usually works.

A good and fast Deafen Lock should shut down Gardy. And you just need to be smart against Gallade, though it does, admittedly, complicate things. Queen and Spiritomb don't matter if you get a fast-enough Level X in play.

There's not many cards that can "surprise OHKO" Dialga. Usually, they won't have much after you Deafen, Deafen, etc., Switch, drop Garchomp, and KO Claydol after Wagering/Looker's. Or just KO'ing Claydol usually works.

That's what i thought..... tomb gets around the hq lock and takes away candy requirements, and gallade + upper + belt is at least 2 ohko's if you need them. You have to see the deck.

Luxray gl also hurts deafen lock pretty bad..... Lux/Garchomp makes quick work of the deck if you play it right.

Bench Shield is a nice little safeguard for Claydol Vs. Garchomp in a similar fashion everyone tends to Unown G it Vs. Gengar. As for OHKOing Dialga in Deafen Mode, unless you are playing Fire, there are only a few attacks that can accomplish this, the most obvious being Flygon X's Extreme Attack.

Against Gallade you just have to take one huge Psychic Cut prize-flip early. Once they can only flip 1-2 prizes with P. Cut it's not as bad.

Bench Shield is a nice little safeguard for Claydol Vs. Garchomp in a similar fashion everyone tends to Unown G it Vs. Gengar. As for OHKOing Dialga in Deafen Mode, unless you are playing Fire, there are only a few attacks that can accomplish this, the most obvious being Flygon X's Extreme Attack.

You can't use Bench Shield under a Deafen Lock.

SP decks with Blaziken FB lv. X and Luxray GL lv. X have the best methods of countering Dialga G/Garchomp C at their disposal, especially if there are no Power Spray in the D/C list (because then Bright Look can be fully abused). Even with Quagsire GL or some other Water tech to deal with Blaziken FB lv. X, the Dialga G action which is so critical to the deck is going to be diminished. Bright Look also forces Quagsire GL back into the active spot after it runs away, and although Luxray GL lv. X can't OHKO it, Jet Shoot with a Crobat G drop can (unless they Expert Belt it). The ability to Power Spray any Healing Breaths is also huge.

I like how everyone forgot how a specific Empoleon build back in the day teched a 1-0-1 Infernape line. that 180 damage outta shut it up. On the other side, Extreme Attack should do the trick, though the jerk easily has 140 HP's (Belt) with 4 Special Metals. Not an easy task to accomplish.

I'd considered Porygon Z LX myself, but they'll just spray the power.

I like how everyone forgot how a specific Empoleon build back in the day teched a 1-0-1 Infernape line. that 180 damage outta shut it up.

But it ran DRE to power Infernape in one turn. It also required Rare Candy, which you couldn't use under Deafen Lock.

^ In this day and age, 2 fires aren't impossible, especially seeing the myriad of energies Flygon runs. I personally never run 1-0-1 of anything, much too risky in this format, as you mention above, and one of those attacks will take out a Dialga and all of its pesky energies, which is pretty much its lifeblood.

I'm still liking 1-0-1 (Or 1-1-1 I guess for Deafen locks) Machamp here. Playing Gengar with a tech Machamp instead of playing GeChamp makes for a much bigger surprise... they'll prolly put Unown G's on their bench before you pull Machamp out.

Less likely to work in top cut, though :/

Has everyone forgotten Dusknoir DP, though? I remember that being a popular play states-time last year to get rid of a Dialga that managed to get 4 special metals on it... Problem is getting Dialga to the bench under a Deafen lock :/ This can work in any deck, too. They can power spray it (Or you can play Spiritomb and hide behind it), but that's a power spray every turn its out until they can manage their bench space (*IF* they can manage their bench space).

Dialga seems to have a hard time coming back mid-game if it loses its grasp on the tanking strategy. But again, this loses its potential in a top cut match :/

@Shen:
me said:
If u have a way to get Dialga to the bench Dark Palm is a really nice answer.

I feel so invisible sometimes...

Honestly Luxray is the way to go. You resist Deafen and they can't Skuntank/GHQ Lux to add damage, so even a Belted Deafen does only 10. You can Bright Look for easy prizes or to burn their Sprays. Just hammer away w/ Trash Bolt to run them out of Turns and they should start to fall apart a little. 3-1 would probably be the best for some safety from Dragon Rush...which would explain why Lady GaGa (LuxChomp) does so well against it.

DARKWALKER on the Gym boards????

Wow. Howdy Stranger!

Tech for Dialga..... ? Spiritomb, Team Galactic Wager, and Drapion's 3rd attack! (LOLz)

Back