Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

did POP forget how to make good cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kekaw2

:nonono: honestly. look at the last few sets. UD -> all only had a handfull of good cards, and COL is a bunch of useless reprints. did they forget? or just run out of ideas? discuss.

There seems to be a desire to take the game back to Base set speed levels, attack power is way way down on the new Black and White cards.

Last edited:
I would say that thy just got lazy, but they put new card art on everything in the set....SOOOOO I would go with the thought that they thought that the thing they triumphed through......took a terrible turn.....

Exactly. These new cards are not good for this format but once the next rotation kicks in where all the ridiculously strong cards are gone, these not so good cards will find a way to be useful :)

I'm agreeing with JandPDS on this one, they've been seeing the affect all teh focus on speed has had on the game and they're trying to slow it down for future formats so we don't have such a speed-based game.

Allow me to say this for the first and the last time on this particular topic.

POP does not make the cards.

P!P does not make the cards.

PCI does not make the cards.

Heck, I don't even think TPC makes the cards.

The Pokemon Card Laboratories in Japan are the ones that make the cards.

If you are going to complain about the cards that are being printed, at least be sure to throw the complaint at the correct people.

Well, Pokemon Card Lab doesn't exist any more.
It's been absorbed back into Game Freak.

So, complain about Game Freak.

Well, Pokemon Card Lab doesn't exist any more.
It's been absorbed back into Game Freak.

So, complain about Game Freak.

My mistake. Didn't realize that had happened. Now I'll know better which group should be getting the card design questions. Thanks for the heads up, Pop :biggrin:

To be more precise, Call of Legends isn't a bad set because the cards in it are bad. Call of Legends is a bad set because of the poor choices in reprints. The cards involving the Lost Zone in the set are decent to great.

Honestly, I think all the HGSS sets were decent. Maybe after seeing how much of a mess Call of Legends is, it's made me reconsider my thoughts on the HGSS sets.

It's just a shame that someone in Nintendo of America (To my knowledge, TPCi doesn't have final control over what comes in a set) decided it was needed to cut a chunk out of Triumphant and create a Frankenstein of a Pokemon set out of junk shinies and very poor reprints.

Personally I would like for the game to slow down. but I do not agree with the Pokemon they make. Some of these Pokemmon just flat out SUCK. I have never seen cards so bad. Whats worse is these cards are so bad there is no Chance for a rougue deck to work, or maybe its because they made certain cards to good and now they have to fix it.
hmmm

They just wanted to make a huge deal about shinys because in the end it's a children's card game so, they decide to use shiny pokemons to make a deal about it so they can make money while they can stall some time for the BW set. No excuse I believe for the poor Trainer supporters in the set though, just upseting...

I know.. it is horrible we did not get more SP Pokemon that can do 100 damage to 1 energy and don't need to level up for it to happen. That is just horrible! And why didn't we get more cards that say ' When you draw this card, play it and you win disregarding what other cards are in play.'

No not all cards are competitive, but more packs are purchased by Collectors than competitive players. The secondary market get most competitive dollars. Hard sales (for those not in retail, that is price per unit purchased) go to collectors. Competitive players tend to pool cards and by boxes or cases which greatly reduces the price per pack. Also, don't forget that those COLLECTOR purchases helps support the OP prizes, including those trips everyone wants.

If I really wanted to, I could probably search the Gym and find a 'this set sucks' post for every set since Nintendo took over. WotC sets will be 50/50.

I know.. it is horrible we did not get more SP Pokemon that can do 100 damage to 1 energy and don't need to level up for it to happen. That is just horrible! And why didn't we get more cards that say ' When you draw this card, play it and you win disregarding what other cards are in play.'

No not all cards are competitive, but more packs are purchased by Collectors than competitive players. The secondary market get most competitive dollars. Hard sales (for those not in retail, that is price per unit purchased) go to collectors. Competitive players tend to pool cards and by boxes or cases which greatly reduces the price per pack. Also, don't forget that those COLLECTOR purchases helps support the OP prizes, including those trips everyone wants.

If I really wanted to, I could probably search the Gym and find a 'this set sucks' post for every set since Nintendo took over. WotC sets will be 50/50.

Were you Paying any attention at all to Call Of Legends.... that is exactly what we did get we got a card that says excatly what you said, it states "When you draw this card and play it you win disregarding what other cards are in Playi "Its name is Lost World Stadium.

Last edited:
Were you Paying any attention at allto Call Of Legends.... that is exactly what we did get we got a card that says excatly what you said, it states "When you draw this card ad play it you win disregaridng what other cards are in Playi "Its name is Lost World Stadium.

He's being sarcastic.

Jesus, stop complaining. I guarantee half the people that will post "YEAH!!1! SCREW POP!!! 4 GiVING US BAD CARDZ!" in this thread have also whined incessantly about how incredibly broken Lost World is. Also, I'd like to point out that Triumphant was a FANTASTIC set. Hi, here's a list of good cards in the past three sets:
Lost World
Lost Remover
Mime Jr.
Gengar Prime
Mew Prime
Machamp Prime
Twins
Seeker
Junk Arm
Smeargle
Vileplume

Here are a list of Tier-1/2 decks in the format that would not exist/not be played if not for the aforementioned cards:
LostGar
VileGar
MewPerior
Machamp
Gyarados

Are we done yet?

If you look at the HGSS sets (NOT including COL) without your SP/SF goggles on, the cards are actually pretty cool. The Roserade/Leafeon combo is neat, Tyranitar Prime is just sick, Electrode Prime is one of my favorite cards, Scizor and Steelix Prime are some of the best metal Pokemon cards ever made, Jirachi UL is crazy - in fact, a whole lot of Unleashed was just amazing - TR Porygon Z is awesome, etc. etc.

The part for me that has felt like torture is watching set after set come out with cards that are intentionally slow and underpowered compared to SP cards (as well as the cards that beat SP). If they made cards that were any better or faster than SP cards, we would never have a decent game again. SP/SF cards basically push all the emphasis of a game to the first or second turn.

One thing that I do find troubling, however, is the unusual lack of decent counters for SP decks. In the past we had many cards that were rarely used, but they had a possible purpose within the metagame (Stadiums like Mt. Moon and Space Center come to mind, as well as other trainers like Mysterious Shard and Crystal Shard). I mean, with a small handful of cards from a format long ago, SP could be managed. Imagine how a Crystal Shard reprint would do against Garchomp C. Or how about a Legend Maker Girafarig? Even Cessation Crystal could work against SP (though I never liked that card). I guess what I'm saying is... it seems like the card creators (Game Freak, Creatures, whatever) got the SP mechanic out there and just let it run wild. They made a half-hearted attempt at balancing the game with AR Rapidash, but that's about it. Very little has been given to the competitive players in terms of counters to what has become the most dominating force in the game, SP. I do hope that they've learned some lessons (though seeing the Gust of Wind reprint makes me a little sick on the inside).

Who cares if a set is bad? It keeps the game predictable so all the earlier playtesting we've done doesn't become useless. Do you really get bored of a format after a few months? Shut up about this set already!

Yeah how can we be slowing the game down when we ge a GoW/ER2/Oakinabox reprint? I'd say the format will speed up, if anything.

Who cares if a set is bad? It keeps the game predictable so all the earlier playtesting we've done doesn't become useless. Do you really get bored of a format after a few months? Shut up about this set already!

Emphasis mine.

I think people are bored of SP dominating, not just for a few months, but for a few seasons now. SP dominated up to Worlds in 2009. It continued to dominate up to Worlds in 2010. Now, SP is clearly continuing to dominate into 2011.

Gengar/Lost Zone, or even just other pokemon with Lost Zone could jumble the metagame up some, but up till now, the season has been a repeat like the last 2.

I cannot blame anyone for being completely bored of the season after a few months. Lost Zone may shake things up, and I only wish there were more in the set with the same capability.

I actually usually tend to agree with you, but not on this one.

SP is boring and I cannot wait for it to get rotated away. I mean, I would love for some of the top players to even try something other than SP. I enjoy a changing metagame, and I would absolutely love for everyone to have to test in a new metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back