Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Discarding Energy

Ditto

In response to this thread.

Back from a ruling with retreating and DCE, I was pretty sure that the discarding of the energy for the retreat happens instantaneously, so that if you tried to discard a :grass: and DCE for a retreat cost of :colorless:colorless you couldn't do it, since that would be discarding 3 energy.

There was no "order" to which you chose the individual energy cards to be discarded, you just discarded the right amount of energy all at once when you retreat.

I never heard of this ruling getting changed. I understand the question above deals with returning energy to the hand but I would assume both actions (discarding and returning) would be similar enough to have the same ruling.

So is the answer in the above post correct (and if so when was this change made), and if I have a Pokémon with a retreat cost of :colorless:colorless and I have a :lightning and DRE attached, can I discard both the :lightning and DRE?

Check the rule book section on retreating.
It uses the exact example you give above, with the result that you get to choose to discard the single and then the double.

Back