Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Discarding Multi Energy

Scizor

I have a question regarding multi energy. Here is the situation: i have a Raquaza EX active with 1 Fire Energy, 1 Lightning Energy and 1 Multi Energy attached to it. If i use its attack, can i discard the multi energy for added damage? Basically that would do 80 damage and leave the Fire still attached or Lightning right?

Actually, in your example, you don't have a choice. You MUST discard Multi Energy, irregardless of which basic energy you choose to discard. Multi provides ALL types, but only one unit. You CAN'T force Multi Energy to NOT provide a particular energy type, thereby preventing it from being discarded. Same goes for Rainbow Energy.

So, in your example, no matter what, the attack does 80 damage, and you discard the Multi and either the Fire or Lightning.

Last edited:
Re

So what if i had 2 fire and multi attached? Would i discard ALL of the energy? And if so how much would it do? Or can i choose to discard multi?

I think that Chrisbo ruled on something similar to this earlier this week. Multi MUST be discarded no matter what the situation because it is acting as all energy types at one time, but only provides one "unit" of energy.

Scizor said:
So what if i had 2 fire and multi attached? Would i discard ALL of the energy? And if so how much would it do? Or can i choose to discard multi?
You could choose to discard Lightning, in which case you would just discard the Multi.
If you chose to discard Fire, you'd have to discard all 4 cards.

Re

OK so to clear this up:
1) If i have Raquaza with 1 MULTI and 1 FIRE i can discard the multi to do 40 damage, but i can't discard both to do 80.
2) If i have 2 Fire and 1 Multi i can discard ALL THREE cards to do 120?

I am still pretty confused.....

Nope Scizor, in both examples, you discard ALL energy and do maximum damage (80 and 120 respectively).

Re

So basically what you are saying is that NO MATTER WHAT Multi Energy gets discarded, but since it provides both types of energy, it gets added to the damage? So once again, if i have A fire, A lightning and A multi attached, i can CHOOSE to discard either a fire or lightning and the MULTI ALWAYS gets discarded, therefore it would do 80 damage.

Anyway i think i finally get it, that is cool enough i suppose. I have some ideas with the card, so yeah, thanks everybody.

Thats right. Since multi provides all energy colours simultaneously it matters not if you choose lightning or fire for Rayquaza'a attack. Multi will be discarded either because it provides fire or because it provides lightning.

Rayquazza EX the new BBP? turn two 40 damage or possible 80 damage with a rainbow or multi.

Last edited:
Back