Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Do world championship decks actually sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signofzeta

So do world championship decks actually sell? They aren't tournament legal, and most of the cards are therefore useless, so why buy them?

Would it be a better idea if they ditched this product in favor of a $25 theme deck that is tournament worthy, as a "I forgot to bring my own deck, therefore I would buy one", type of deck, just like the magic event decks, which does not dominate any games, just gets newer players playing against decent decks without getting destroyed?

In many ways, the product lineup for magic and pokemon are roughly similar, if not the same, well magci from 2001 to 2007 anyway. They both have booster packs. They both have theme decks (magic calls them intro packs since 2008), they both have world championship decks, Magic had them between 1999 and 2004, and both have a trainer kit, or core game starter set. Both having a step by step tutorial and 2 30 card decks.

I personally think that Magic should bring back the starter core game, but Pokemon should, depending on if the world champ decks sell, change them into Pokemon event decks, or "I forgoto to bring my own deck" precon.

Yes the decks sell.... When I first started I bought one, it helped me figure out how strategy works. It can help a new player figure out why decks are good and what makes them tick. I would disagree with the cards being useless, they are not worth anything, but they have a use.

Yes the decks sell.... When I first started I bought one, it helped me figure out how strategy works. It can help a new player figure out why decks are good and what makes them tick. I would disagree with the cards being useless, they are not worth anything, but they have a use.

So what do you do with the cards if they aren't tournament legal?

If these decks discontinued in favor of precons that have a decent chances at tournaments, just like how Magic made their event decks, would you rather have that instead?

Each year I buy all 4 world championship decks for two reasons

1) As a collector I really do try to catch them all. And as there are offical Pokemon-trcg (not tourney legal but offical just the same) I do try to collect one of each uniuqe Pokemon card. So I put one of each uniqe card (if the deck has 4 Pokemon Catcher I just keep one of them) in my binder.

2) As a player theese cards let me build twice as many competitive decks for league play as I could otherwise. Inthe example above I now have 3 more catchers that i can put in decks for practice. Yes you can just write Pokemon Catcher on a Potion card and practice like that, But i just hate to do that ,and thanks to the World Championship decks I have not has to do that for the past 5 years. Pretty much anythig you will need will be in at least one of the decks.

But would you actually want to pay for proxies?

Quality ones? Like the ones that are in the WC decks? Ones that aren't particularly expensive? (the WC decks sell for $10, generally). Yes, Yes, and YES!

i buy them as a souvenir of that year's world championships, and for the enclosed booklet...

'mom

Well put it this way, if they didn't sell, they wouldn't be making them likely...

I mean I myself personally have never bought one and think they're pointless since I don't collect, but I know a lot of people like them as well, and if someone I knew won Worlds, I'd probably splurge and buy one of them to commemorate their victory. Otherwise it's not bugging me much if someone else likes to get em (except when people on ebay try scamming others into buying WC cards for tournament use, then that's wrong).

So what do you do with the cards if they aren't tournament legal?

If these decks discontinued in favor of precons that have a decent chances at tournaments, just like how Magic made their event decks, would you rather have that instead?

Actually no, I would rather have these and if they stopped printing them it would be a shame. I like the fact that if I do somehow, luckily, amazingly, win worlds I would love to have my deck printed into pokemon immortality!

Its also fun, cheap and easy way to enjoy old formats, without having to track down or buy the individual cards yourself.
I've had fun at tournaments playing WC decks vs WC decks to reminisce about the old days.

I absolutely adore WC decks. They are a fantastic way to preserve past formats so that I can continue to have fun playing them far in the future (PARTICULARLY when I missed said formats, which is the case for every WC deck before 2011 for me). It's also a pretty great reward for the players who do well at Worlds, and are a very fun collector's item.

My wife and I play casually against each other (no league around here) and the "starter" decks were just getting boring and too slow. We bought 3 of the decks, tweaked them, and now we get to play competitive games against each other, for the cost of $30. Pretty cheap entertainment for us!

We're playing a lot of Unlimited my League recently, especially the 150 format (to signofzeta: it's like Pokemon Commander/EDH). The WC decks see a lot of use, especially as you essentially get 4 decks worth of Trainers in each one! Just got to make sure your sleeves are opaque. It is nicer to use the real cards but it can be hard to track down loads of older cards, whereas just one WC deck will help you build a few decks.

I'm kind of hoping they use the World Championship Decks in a new fashion this year. They have PTCGO, but you can't get the Worlds promo card in the game. It'd be nice if they included a code card to get the card they gave out in the game in the Worlds Deck. It's the perfect place for them, would help justify buying them. I just think overall they are great for new players to understand strategy and what it takes to win. They do sell, and it's quite cool that they do this, it's a great way to make people feel good about themselves, for doing well with an unique deck, not that they already don't feel good about themselves for doing so well in Worlds.

Drew

It would also be nice to have a tournament at Nationals where everybody choses a WC deck and than plays the tournament.

Some players are primarily players, not collectors; they dump most of their non-tournament-legal cards after a rotation is announced. World Championship Decks are a nice, cheap, informally-playable souvenir of the best past decks. For fun, get together with a friend, pick a year, and choose a random championship deck from that year to play against each other.

As people have been stating, it's one part souvenir, one part (often Pokemon League) legal proxy. I questioned their existence as well, but now I wish we'd have them all along! Think of history that might have been preserved (or preserved better) had we always had them (or had them for older equivalent tournaments).

I like Jaeger's idea of using them for side events.

i remember buying one of decks like 6years ago for about $10. recently i just sold some of the singles in there to trollandtoad for about $65. never thought they were actually worth anything, but i guess i was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back