Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Does this always happen to you?

Dro~

Do you sometimes forget to count the number of cards in your hand before playing steven's advice? That often happens to me and to my opponents. What should the penalty be?

Dro~ said:
Do you sometimes forget to count the number of cards in your hand before playing steven's advice? That often happens to me and to my opponents. What should the penalty be?

DEATH BY ITALIAN FIRING SQUAD
1)a warnimg
2) i think that they shud have to shuffle their hand into their deck and draws and many cards as they had before playing Stephen's advice
3) a game loss

One of my opponents tried to do this in either the T8 or T16, I forget which...I reminded him before he was able to draw any cards...it was (really) late afterall. XD Sometimes people forget (especially at 2:00 AM :p) it is rather irreversable... hand loss seems a little harsh, but at the same time prize swap seems a bit lenient for such an advantage on their part. And a warning? Pfft. If I knew I'd get away with just a warning for such a huge advantage....well... -I- still wouldn't do it, but I'm sure some people would.
So, the most viable choices for punishment (IMHO) are:
1) Hand loss
2) Prize Swap
3) (if playing 2of3) Game Loss

I think steven's advice should mention the requirement of playing this card first before mentioning the number of cards you can draw.

I'd say second time isn't too harsh. If you don't learn from it the first time, then you're not really paying attention to the game. Not putting down your prizes, not counting your hand before Steven's Advice-ing, forgetting to remove damage counters from opponent when using Milotic's Wonderhit...

They are all absolutely unacceptable, and are all irreversible if play goes on long enough so that pokemon get KO'd and whatnot. Prizes not being put out should be an automatic game loss. The other two should be prize swap first, then a game loss. Prize swap is a good rule to enforce in these types of situations, as is game loss, as they are all huge, and can't be proved to be accidental, as the player could have done it on purpose. Not putting down prizes then Oracling is something a few players did at Nationals, and judges didn't have the guts to even prize swap. Judges need to step up to the plate and lay down the rules, and HARD.

On second thought, don't. My deck could really benefit from that no-prize/Oracle combo, especially when I'm only given a warning. =/

~w00per

Bear in mind that Pokemon keeps track of Warnings and getting the same Warning time and time again could lead to being banned from POP!

I would look at the age of the players 1st. 10-, if especially new to game, may be excused. All others, I probably wouldnt excuse the act. Penalty 1st time, loss of card (discarded), no benefit to player (ie no draws) and a caution. 2nd time, loss of card and prize swap. (Obviously, the player wanted different cards in his hand, therefore, shuffling hand in and drawing a X number of cards may be VERY usueful to player. 3rd time, game loss.

Keith

You can always ask your opponent to call loud out the number of cards in hand.
Put them 1 by 1 on the table, the last one is turned face up (stevens advice) and placed next to the active.
I learned my kids to count their cards one by one if they attend to play Stevens Advice. (first check for yourself and than count on the table). The only mistakes made are if they don't put them one by one on the table. So it works with 10- why not for others.

Playing Stevens Advice with to many cards in your hand. Not a warning, just shuffle all your cards in your deck and go on with no hand. You will see how fast this card is played correct.

Back