Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

DonChamp Deck Discussion

mikeg542

Donphan Prime and Machamp Prime/SF are both cards that can give a luxchomp player trouble and a non-donk for the luxchomp player will usually end in a loss for them. I just thought a thread devoted to the specific strategy could help come up with an optimal list and possible techs for a specific metagame.

My first List looks like so:

4-2-4 Machamp (2 prime/2 SF)
4-3 Donphan Prime
2 Uxie
2-1-2 Nidoqueen

3 Bebe's Search
3 Pokemon Communication
1 Luxury Ball
3 PONT
3 Pokemon Collectors
3 Rare candy
2 BTS
3 Expert Belt

4 DCE
8 :fighting:
3 Warp

Strategy: Try to get a Donphan prime quick and start earthquaking. As your opponent builds up bigger pokemon, put a double colourless on a machamp prime and fighting Tag it to active hitting for 140 as early as turn 3. Setting up a few donphans quick with a machamp should usually give luxchomp enough trouble, saving warp energies to switch out hurt and/or poisoned pokemon. If you get a nidoqueen set up, it should be smooth sailing.

As far as I can tell, this list has good matchups against the XChomp decks, the tyranitar type decks and will usually have an easy time with any non main metagame decks. Against sablelock or donk decks it comes down to whether you set up before they lock you (if you do, you win, if not, they win). And against vilegar it comes down to the fainting spell flips and how trainer heavy your hand is. Lostgar has proven itself to be a hard matchup and usually pulls off the win with only 1-2 prizes left.

Possible thoughts based on metagame. If in a heavy Luxchomp metagame, I feel this is a quite solid list to deal with that. If you are expecting more lostgar, switching out the nidoqueens for a tech or for more basics can move the matchup in your favour (having too many extra stage 1s and 2s in hand is what makes this such a hard matchup).

Thoughts?

Here's my Donchamp Deck. I run Regice to help against LostGar. I just have to be careful not to discard too much.

I don't run Spiritomb. Sableye is a better starter for me, especially with the number of trainers I run.

You can see the matchups on my list, Gyardos is your worst enemy.

Ok here is the deal. In my Donchamp I use Donphan as more of a tech to add damage to the bench so I suggest only running 2-2. The nidoqueen slows the deck down greatly and is not needed because you can heal via fighting tag and seeker. I feel the deck needs a starter, either sableye or smeargle(I prefer sableye). Regice or Regirock are needed for the vilegar match-up (Regice gives you more consistent discard while regirock can help greatly to recover energy). Also I have toyed with stark mountain and found it helps alot especially when paired with regirock. Warp energy I cant find the use for becasue you can use either warp point or fighting tag to move an active donphan to the bench. Those are my thoughts. Hope I helped

Here's my Donchamp Deck. I run Regice to help against LostGar. I just have to be careful not to discard too much.

I don't run Spiritomb. Sableye is a better starter for me, especially with the number of trainers I run.

You can see the matchups on my list, Gyardos is your worst enemy.

I think spirit tomb is the better call especially if your running multiple lines. spirit tomb screws any deck that isn't prepared for trainer lock and makes your SP match almost impossible to lose even if you have to go first.

Back