Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Don't you think card sets are coming too fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crobat58

As we all know in a couple of weeks, HGSS unleashed is coming out. But in japan... lost link and additionally, clash at the summit! Not to mention, I also heard of a pikachu mini set!?:eek: Like seriously, they are 2 sets ahead of us. (kind of...) We just got into legend and now all these "mini sets" are coming out! Don't forget about the other continents over on the other side of the world!

^ Psst they really had 4. HeartGold Collection and SoulSilver Collection were both individual sets that just happened to be released on the same block.

Lost Link is only a sub(stitution)-set, there to fill the gap which would normally be filled with exclusive decks otherwise in Japan. The Pikachu World 2009 'set' isn't a set, but a promo folder with 9 exclusive cards just happening to be released on the same day as Clash at the Summit.

The sets are coming out at their normal rate, there are usually 3-4 full sets a year in Japan, give or take the size of deck runs or sub-sets between them.

We've already had 1 with Reviving Legend in February (remember, HeartGold Collection and SoulSilver Collection were both full-size sets released LAST YEAR in Japan) with the 2nd coming out in July, meaning a 3rd around Oct/Nov as there is a 3-4 month gap between each main set which is then filled with decks, promo campaigns, or like L2-L3 gap: Lost Link.

Japan practically pays no heed to the other continents, to be frank. They're the ones who govern the entire TCG, as Pokemon Card Laboratory is, after all, Japanese. It's up to the localisation teams of other countries to catch up so that there is a fair run between countries at Worlds.

No, sets are not coming out to fast. For almost 5 years or so, TPCi has released 4 sets, usually in the same 4 months - February, May, August, and November. I don't really see a reason to change what they are doing, as it works perfectly fine. The only thing I have an issue with is our promos, but that's a completely different topic.

Drew

@darktwins what`s wrong with our promos besides japan having like a 1000 japan exclusive promos

That's one aspect, the other is the fact that we keep getting all these reprints as promos. I can't stand getting some of these cards because frankly, they are AWFUL. I LOVE black star promos that are new and exclusive, but we don't really get too many anymore. other than tin reprints. It is a little bit frustrating. I mean in Japan they use all different types of ways to release things. Toys R Us, Domino's, 7-11, Fast Food, and more. We have most of those stores in the USA and granted I understand that some countries don't have those types of stores which make it a bigger issue, but it would be nice to get some of those cool promo cards here.

Drew

i just found out that japan has 5 new 'shining' pokemon promo's. i agree promo's are getting out of hand

Promos and Decks (they're exclusive over there, remember, not hodge-podge decks recycling cards in a set already out) in Japan are what fill the gap. They have a lot of things TO offer promos of: each set gets 3-4 release celebration promos given out at Gym Challenge, topped off with a medal promo. Fast food outlets get promos, Pokemon Centre gets promos, 7/11 gets promos, Toys'r'Us gets promos, magazines, movie theatres, lottery draws, point system prizes that have to be earned et al.

The Promos are mainly there to satiate the collectors, which is why most of them aren't playable in any decent strategy, though there are a good handful which are. They are rewards for hard work with decks and league 50% of the time, with the other 50% usually commemorating something. Not really getting out of hand, they've been doing the same thing since 1996. The latest promo campaign, Shining Pokemon Present, is commemorating the fact that there are shiny beasts being given away for the 13th movie and are in extremely limited numbers. A fine example of how Japan ties in promotional cards into what is going on.

In the english side of things there are very little outlets for these promos, as the rest of the world isn't so Poke-Influenced as Japan. That is why many of them remain exclusive to Japan. What ones to get moved into the english rotations are usually shoved in pricey blister packs, poster boxes, or occasionally into a set. The US only gets a quarter, if that, of the promos that Japan does and yet they have the audacity to then push english exclusive promos down players and collectors throats instead of possibly bringing in more of the Japanese ones for ease of collectability/accessibility for collectors who only have access to the english cards; or prefer the english cards.

Not that it's really a bad thing, there is usually nice artwork on them or make a card of strategy that is rare or ultra rare much easier to play, but given the other canon fodder they could release you'd think they'd take a stab at some of those. Especially since the rinse-lather-repeat method of reprinting 3 ex/lv.x/prime cards in tins with alt art is getting incredibly old.

tl;dr if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen- promos are here to stay.

No, sets are not coming out to fast. For almost 5 years or so, TPCi has released 4 sets, usually in the same 4 months - February, May, August, and November. I don't really see a reason to change what they are doing, as it works perfectly fine. The only thing I have an issue with is our promos, but that's a completely different topic.

Drew

This is how it is.

Drew knows what's up

I mean in Japan they use all different types of ways to release things. Toys R Us, Domino's, 7-11, Fast Food, and more. We have most of those stores in the USA and granted I understand that some countries don't have those types of stores which make it a bigger issue, but it would be nice to get some of those cool promo cards here.

Pokemon is not NEARLY as popular here per capita as it is there. There wouldn't be enough incentive or any monetary gain from ads, etc if they did that here.

maybe the could finally bring over the points system japan has for league promos like espeon umbreon prime etc.

I kinda understand what drew`s saying but there`s not that many promos that actually would change the game besides mystery pearl miracle diamond and wonder platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back