Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dpl/ Pl??

TOYBOX

Before anyone criticizes me for being a complete idiot and most likely a bad player, I'd just like a simple answer.

I'm aware of what DPL is in terms of the main pokemon in the deck, so plainly stated in the initials. I'm currently testing for worlds and I just wanted a quick answer to this question:

What is the strategy behind the deck? Does it function as a way to 'choose' who you want to Cyclone by bringing up Uxies or Azelf, etc. while their forced to remove important cards? Is it focused more on Palkia with the occasional Luxray?

I'm not asking for lists or w/e, just a simple strat to a deck that has me stumped at the moment.

I feel DPL is one of the decks with most options at the moment, so there are just basics:

Palkia = main attraction. 50+spread is the main attack. Lv.X has a power to remove Mesprits/Uxies on the bench (which are necessary in large quantities to be used for powerlocking and draw).
Luxray = Used mainly for it's power and Lv.X cheap attack. Gust in Claydol/something charging up. Great secondary attacker against Kingdras and Mirrors.
Dialga = Mainly tech for it's Lv.X. Can prove useful in some matchups though, but used for it's Lv.X. Deafen start is good too, but as DPL is supposed to be one of the faster decks (as it burns resources pretty quickly), stalling with Deafen isn't usually the best option.

You basically aim for a complete field control (power/bodylock + killing your opponent's bench) with this deck using powers, backed up by the cheap attack power provided by the trio.

Luxray adds another dimension to the disruption. Palkia G and Mesprit, plus Power Spray, keep the opponent from using Powers to set up, and Luxray can be used to pick off their weak, underdeveloped bench while they are stuck in the lock, preventing any threat from being shielded and built. Hydro Shot is another way to target benched threats before they materialize, and it is also great to KO Claydol so the opponent never gets to use it at all even after you've depleted your supply of Mesprits/Sprays.

Luxray is also great late game-- if the opponent gets that far-- since it can be used to grab easy prizes on Pokemon that Pearl Breath has softened up/things already in natural OHKO range like Uxies and Azelfs. One of the issues any Palkia G variant has is the ability to deal with an opponent who actually does endure the lock, gets set up, and makes a strong comeback. The deck can run out of steam in this type of scenario with a few prizes to go, and Luxray helps get them.

The combo with Lost Cyclone that you mentioned is a possibility; it's just not the reason Luxray is run.

Last edited:
Back