Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dragon cards that will have the most impact

SteveP

While judging our Dragon Pre-release today, and after getting a few boosters myself, here's the Dragon cards I think will have the most impact in Modified play (not in any particular order):

- Muk EX - Toxic Gas is back, but only works in the active position this time.

- Mr Briney's Compassion (Supporter) - Super Scoop Up of non-EX Pokemon without the coin flip.

- Shedinja - a Lily Pad Mew AND Wobuffet in one Pokemon, but it's a stage 1 (unless you use Ninjask to play it).

- Magneton - a lesser version of Gardevoir EX.

- Absol - Bad News attack - the BEST disruption attack against those who draw and keep lots of cards in their hand.

- Kingdra EX - Genetic Memory is back (but it now requires a single water energy).

- Rayquaza EX - will most likely replace Eggy cards in Blaziken decks.

That's all I've seen that are major impacters. Anyone see any more?

Last edited:
CHARIZARD!!! I think that'll replace Chicken/Kitty! Check the deck I made with it in the decks section. It's called Discarded Flames!;)
-Swampert

charizard wont replace blaziken, its not that powerful, 60 a turn isnt that big, yeah the art of those 3 is awesome, but they arent that playable.

also, IMO, i think flygon will see quite alot of play since it is quite a fun deck, and maybe salamence a bit, although it doesnt have outstanding attack, it does have that its own gust of wind power :).

Last edited:
I would say Dragonite ex might have some fighting spirit after all. Here are the stats:

Dragonite ex
150 HP
(C)

Poke-Power: Call for Power- As often as you like during your turn, you may move an energy card attached to 1 of your pokemon to Dragonite ex. This power cant be used if Dragonite ex is affected by a special condition.

(W)(L) Dragon Wave- Discard a (W) Energy card and a (L) Energy card attached to Dragonite ex. 70

(C)(C)(C)(C) Giant Tail- Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing. 120

Weakness: (C)
Resistance -30: (G)(F)
Retreat: (C)(C)

Last edited:
Yeah, but Charizard does 60 and 20 to the bench. He also recycles the discarded energy and does 30 damage at the same time!!! Blaziken only drops it on the bench!

[CHRISBO EDIT - There's no need to quote the ENTIRE first post of the topic. Thanks.]

Magcargo EX. Especially with Entei EX coming out soon(most likely)although only in the Magma theme deck, I think we could see the return of Big Fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ampharos EX is pretty good. It only has 1 weakness, unlike other stage 2 pokemon ex, and it's got a resistance. Pretty playable with it's awesome pokebody and attack.

I think charizard is playable. It can make a good rogue deck. Most popular decks, except gardivoir ex, rely on pokebody/power and muk EX stops them all, so that can give charizard a comeback. Not to mention you can also use the memory berry and rage (holo charmander) combo on charizard.

I wrote about what I found, so I guess I can again.

Magneton 17/97: Okay the power is awesome. Discard any one card and get two basic energy out of your discard pile and put them into your hand. Hey, you could discard a energy to get two. Or discard a lame pokemon you don’t need. There are so many possibilities. Magneton’s attack is just awesome. For EC, it does 10 damage for every energy on ALL your pokemon. Can anyone say gardevior EX? No, it’s not that good but I think it rivals the regular gardevior. Both have high points the other is worse at. Gardevior can help lay an extra energy. Magneton can help get back energy. Both have their costs. Then Gardevior does 10 for every energy on itself and the defending pokemon. Magneton’s attack is way better IMO.

Salamence 10/97: I might not be correct with the number, but I am referring to the gust power one. When Salamence is active, you have a free gust of wind. Awesome! Attacks are alright as well, but I don’t have one on hand to see.

Crawdaunt 13/97: Okay I love this card. Not only is it a fast stage one, but it abuses boost energy to the max. Think of this. First turn, lay a water on the basic, attackand do 10 damage. Second turn, evolve, attach a boost and do 60. Not much can survive that one the first turn. And if you go first, they don’t even get to evolve. OHKO unless they have a big basic up there. Then after the boost goes away, you still have a water to attack for 10 and maybe poison them. What if they play potion, eh, they get poisoned. Can’t keep stopping that. 80 HP and the whole card is great.

Altaria 2/97: Okay this is like Pellipper on drugs. First turn attach water, attack for 10, second turn, evolve, you can either hit for 30 and sleep(no flip!) or dragon dance. If you dragon dance, next turn hit for 70 and sleep(no flip!). And all this for one electric and water energy. It’s just a great card.

Absol 1/97: Love the first attack. Only works great for a while. But still very nice hand destruction. Great to use for the first opening turns.

The problem with the holo Salamance is that the opponent chooses which card to get. I also have an issue with the colorless weakness as long as Crystal Shard is in the format (I think this will doom Reyquaza EX as well, Latias and Latios would be unplayable even without this problem).

My favorite cards are

Absol - A 70hp basic with a very interesting first attack and a second attack that is great when you are behind (and OK when you are not). This is a good card to have when Mewtwo EX is treatening to blow you away.

Crawdaunt - Both versions are good, but the holo is the best. The power means that he will do 60 for WCC, that is too much for a 80HP Stage 1 who only has a double retreat as a drawback. The basics - 3 to choose from - are even decent.

Magneton - The rare Magneton has a great attack. The worst outcome with be doing 20 for LC, but you add 10 for each energy you have on other Pokemon. How about playing this with Blaziken, you cover the water weakness and the attack gets better when you power up the bench! The power can be quite useful too, even in a Blaziken deck because it can help you get an Electric energy back from the discard pile.

TV Reporter. It is great in all decks, but Blaziken is again the biggest benefactor.

Mr. Briney's compassion. This card is just too good, the main problem I see is that it will move us further towards using only very large attacks.

Ampharos EX - A very significant HP upgrade combined with the best of the Neo3 version (better attack for one less energy) and Dark Ampharos (the power). All this with no weakness added and Metal resistance)! The lack of double weakness makes me like Magcargo EX too, but I think he will suffer from the Ditto that many people will play against the Dragons.

Charizard - I will probably trade the one I got, but it is a good card. OK retreat, the first attack is decent even if you don't get the two energies and I like the fact that you can choose to discard for the bench damage. It is even quite splashable too.

I am using Absol and the trainers already and plan to build decks around Crawdaunt and Ampharos.

Yeah, Crystal Shard will come in handy in almost every deck now, because of Rayquaza and stuff. Ditto could actually work too, though it has low HP. But since the cards aren't released over where I am, i'm going by the Japanese Translations and I like;

Flygon/Might work well if you get the right NRG especially since Vibrava has that attack

Magneton/I like the Blaziken idea ;)

Amphy/I've always loved Conduction,only thing is you cant have out more than one

Charizard/IMO,this is a great card! Some people dont like it but like Dro~ said, it could be a good card for a rogue deck.

Cards I hate; Magcargo ex, Magcargo ex, Magcargo ex, etc. You get the point. Even though it's not as fast without Entei, it's still a very cheap card.

Counters for some of these cards; Wobbuffet/This card must be in every deck if you want to counter these big ex guys. Rayquaza,Magcargo,Muk, and all the rest of'em.

Conclusion; All in all, Gardy should still be a big deck.along with Blaziken/the usual cards and stuff. But me, I'll stick with my Tops/Xatu deck. It lost its first game yeserday to a Sceptile ;/ Though it as beaten Sceptile 2 other times ;)

~Eevee

With a little support a latias EX/dragons magneton/lady outing/lanettes web search/expadition venusaur dech could do 100 a turn.

Also, high/low pressure systems are ok

energy recycle: choose 1 basic energy from discard and show the opponent then put it in hand, or show three energy and shuffle into deck.

High pressure: (stadium) All :fire: and water pokemon have - :colorless retreat

Low pressure: (stadium) All :lightning and :grass: ave +10 hp (I think)

Latias EX: 90 hp, colorless type, weak: :colorless ,resist: :psychic: :fighting: , retreat: (c)(c)

(c)Hypnoblast (10):flip a coin, if heads opponent's pokemon asleep.

(r)(w)(c) Mist ball (100): discard a (r) and a (w) to use this attack.

Last edited:
that would be buffer piece, and it only blocks attacks from opponent's pokemon. You don't get to choose when it's activated either, it activates as soon at the pokemon with buffer attached is attacked by the opponent. :mad: ( I would have won a match if you could choose when)

But buffer piece stays attached to the pokemon as long as it's not damaged, right? That's definitely better than defender. It can prevent OHKO.

Back