Dragon DNA +30?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Dark_Mewtwo, Aug 25, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Dark_Mewtwo

Dark_Mewtwo New Member

Hi folks,

Here is a puzzle regarding the new Mysterious Treasures set. You have a Gyarados with Dragon DNA using the flail attack from Magikarp Lv. 13. The Gyarados has one energy and no damage.

{C} Flail 10x
    Does 10 damage times the number of damage counters on Magilarp

Dragon DNA
    Gyarados can use any attack from its basic pokemon. (You still have to pay for that attack's Energy cost.) If Gyarados uses any attack from its Basic Pokemon, that attack does 30 more damage to the Active Pokemon (Before Applying Weakness and Resistance).

Does Flail in this case (no damage) do 30 or 0?

Randy

2. Flaming_Spinach

Flaming_Spinach Feature Editor

You can not add damage to an attack that has a base damage of 0.

It's the same concept as putting a Strength Charm on a Holon Castform and using Delta Draw.

3. Ikari

Ikari New Member

You are right :thumb:

Dark_Mewtwo: Put a Rainbow on a Gyarados, 1 Damage counter = 40. And it goes up! :eek:

Cheers!

4. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

Rainbow is not in HP-on format ... here's to hoping that it's in POP6 or the next DP set.

5. Ikari

Ikari New Member

WOW! I miss that, thanks :smile: I hope they reedit it too... :cool:

Ok then... wait for someone put a damage counter... :lol:

6. charmander rox

charmander rox New Member

Jolteon *.

7. The King Of Magikarps

The King Of Magikarps Active Member

Since flail is 10x X and Gyardos has perfect health 10x 0 = 0. In other words it has to do damege to add damage.

8. Darkwalker

Darkwalker New Member

I would think the Flail would do zero damage, but the Dragon DNA would then add 30 to that attack making it do 30. I understand the concept related to Castform plus Strength Charm, but this seems to be a bit different to me for some reason. I'm curious as to the officail deceision on this.

9. charmander rox

charmander rox New Member

Alright. Gyarados tries to use Flail. However, it's got nothing to flail over, so it doesn't do anything. Then Jolteon * uses Yellow Ray, and Gyarados takes damage. Now Gyarados uses Flail on the opponent, actually doing something, and gets the DNA bonus. Hope that helps.

10. Flaming_Spinach

Flaming_Spinach Feature Editor

The official decision is exactly what I said. The attack has a base damage of 0. Therefor, it does nothing.

11. Professor Elm

Professor Elm Active Member

I do agree with this but at the same time, if an attack doesn't do any damage it's only logical that it's numerical value is 0 (technically 0 isn't a number, but w/e). Gyarados says "whenever it attack", whether it does damage or not. Flail does 0 and 30 more damage, making it's attack do 30.

BUT I understand why the ruling is like that. I just think that it should still do the 30.

12. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

*What F_S said

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

It's the "more" that does the difference...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  13. cloud9

cloud9 New Member

Dragon DNA does 30 more damage, if the base damage is 0, 0 damage will be added =)