Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dragon DNA +30?

Dark_Mewtwo

Hi folks,

Here is a puzzle regarding the new Mysterious Treasures set. You have a Gyarados with Dragon DNA using the flail attack from Magikarp Lv. 13. The Gyarados has one energy and no damage.

{C} Flail 10x
Does 10 damage times the number of damage counters on Magilarp

Dragon DNA
Gyarados can use any attack from its basic pokemon. (You still have to pay for that attack's Energy cost.) If Gyarados uses any attack from its Basic Pokemon, that attack does 30 more damage to the Active Pokemon (Before Applying Weakness and Resistance).

Does Flail in this case (no damage) do 30 or 0?

Randy

You can not add damage to an attack that has a base damage of 0.

It's the same concept as putting a Strength Charm on a Holon Castform and using Delta Draw.

It's the same concept as putting a Strength Charm on a Holon Castform and using Delta Draw.

You are right :thumb:

Dark_Mewtwo: Put a Rainbow on a Gyarados, 1 Damage counter = 40. And it goes up! :eek:

Cheers!

I would think the Flail would do zero damage, but the Dragon DNA would then add 30 to that attack making it do 30. I understand the concept related to Castform plus Strength Charm, but this seems to be a bit different to me for some reason. I'm curious as to the officail deceision on this.

Alright. Gyarados tries to use Flail. However, it's got nothing to flail over, so it doesn't do anything. Then Jolteon * uses Yellow Ray, and Gyarados takes damage. Now Gyarados uses Flail on the opponent, actually doing something, and gets the DNA bonus. Hope that helps.

I would think the Flail would do zero damage, but the Dragon DNA would then add 30 to that attack making it do 30. I understand the concept related to Castform plus Strength Charm, but this seems to be a bit different to me for some reason. I'm curious as to the officail deceision on this.

The official decision is exactly what I said. The attack has a base damage of 0. Therefor, it does nothing.

I do agree with this but at the same time, if an attack doesn't do any damage it's only logical that it's numerical value is 0 (technically 0 isn't a number, but w/e). Gyarados says "whenever it attack", whether it does damage or not. Flail does 0 and 30 more damage, making it's attack do 30.

BUT I understand why the ruling is like that. I just think that it should still do the 30.

Back