Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dream World Medicham Strategies

I recently got a meditite in the Dream world, and decided to train it into Medicham because of its ability (telepathy) to protect it from my own earthquakes, explosions, surfs, etc. However, I don't know what moves to teach it to form good strategies with other pokemon.

While leveling up, I let it learn Psych up, and used it with yanmega to try to get speed raised a few times. It worked a bit, but Yanmega kept getting knocked out. I also tried a similar strategy with other Pokemon (such as Metagross who is more durable) and acupressure, but acupressure was too random to be of any good use.

I thought about using giving medicham an absorb bulb, then letting one of my own pokemon use surf to activate it, but I have no experience with the item so I can't tell if it would work or if it would be good enough to replace a better item.

Should I bother to continue training Medicham, or is it just not good enough to worry about? Is the normal ability that Medicham has (pure power) better than telepathy? I am trying to emphasize Sp. Atk because Medicham has a modest ability, and I don't know if it is any good with special moves or not.

What moves should I teach Medicham, and what Pokemon should I pair it with (in double and triple battles)? What item should I give it? Is it worth training, or should I move on to some other Pokemon? Keep in mind that this is only for casual play (I've never put in the effort to make a good competitive team and go to a tournament), but I want Medicham to be the best it can be unless it isn't worth my time.

Last edited:
Well the main problem is, Medicham just isn't that great of a special attacker with only Base 60 SpA, not to mention its Special movepool is fairly weak as well; you would probably be far better off in most cases with Pure Power, as that kicks Medicham's Atk to insane levels. And like you were tying to do before, from there you can Psych Up Yanmega's speed boosts to give him the speed necessary to sweep stuff, or Metagross with Agility. You might even want to consider a partner with Tailwind as well, as it doubles both Pokemon's speed for several turns.

This isn't to say Telepathy isn't useful for doubles, but without Pure Power, there's simply far better choices for an attacker other than Medicham quite frankly, you'd be better off using a turn to Protect while your partner uses Surf or Earthquake or whatever.

But Telepathy makes Medicham not need Protect for Earthquakes, Surfs, or Explosions. Telepathy helps Medicham set up Bulk Ups for future sweeping. Protect decreases in chances after a while so Medicham could get knocked out by your own Pokemon. I can see a Medicham with Telepathy make a good appearance in the VGC meta sometime in the future. What about this set.

Medicham
Nature- Adamant
EVs- 252 ATK, 252 SPE (Speed), 4 HP
Ability- Telepathy (Obvious)
Moves-Bulk Up, Brick Break, Rock Slide, ThunderPunch
Strategy- Instead of helping another Pokemon, you use moves like the ones shown to keep the opposing Pokemon occupied on that Pokemon so Medicham can set up 2 or 3 Bulk Ups to boost it's physical attacks. Brick Break is for STAB (Same type attack bonus). Rock Slide hits both Pokemon and destroys Flying type Pokemon like Tornadus, Zapdos, Fearow, and all those other Flying types. ThunderPunch is used for paralyzing opponents and attacking Pokemon that resist Medicham's other attacks.
Alternatives- You can use Retaliate for Revenge Kills in Double Battles but then you would have 2 moves that don't hit Ghost-types. You could use either of the other 2 Elemental Punches to counter other types. I found ThunderPunch to be the best one.

If you don't like this set then sorry, that's the best set I could come up with for a Telepathy Medicham.

---------- Post added 01/02/2012 at 09:06 PM ----------

For Modest nature, you might want to use Calm Mind, Rock Slide, Focus Blast, and Psyshock and put those ATK EVs into SPA (Special Attack) EVs .

The main problem is, how's he going to set it up? Bulk Up requires turns you don't necessarily have, not to mention having 60/75/75 stats in HP, Def, and SpD doesn't necessarily contribute to longevity to set it up. So I mean, unless you're spamming Follow Me on a partner or something, he's gonna get hit and easily KOed before Bulk Up can offer that much protection against physical attackers (or special attackers using CM). And at any rate, Protect is still nice to have on any set to avoid big damage from opposing Pokemon, as Telepathy only prevents teammate damage from Surfs, EQs, and what have you. Not to mention you still have the problem of slow speed then, as many Pokemon will outspeed a neutral base 80 Spe Pokemon.

Well the main problem is, Medicham just isn't that great of a special attacker with only Base 60 SpA, not to mention its Special movepool is fairly weak as well;

Its base SAtk is the same as its Atk. It can still learn some good moves with the help of tms, although there are a few more psyical moves than special that it can learn.

@ PMysterious: While an adamant nature may be better, I don't really have any control of natures when it comes to the dream world. Until I find one use the modest one. Your movesets look like they might be good but I haven't tried them out yet.

Last edited:
Its base SAtk is the same as its Atk. It can still learn some good moves with the help of tms, although there are a few more psyical moves than special that it can learn.

@ PMysterious: While an adamant nature may be better, I don't really have any control of natures when it comes to the dream world, but until I find one use the modest one. Your movesets look like they might be good but I haven't tried them out yet.

This is true, but this is also why just about everyone has Pure Power instead, as it doubles its Atk score; put it this way, with Pure Power, Medicham hits almost as hard as Deoxys in its Attack form. If you look up glass cannon in the dictionary, Medicham is a good candidate to have its picture listed next to it.

Also assuming you've caught a Female Meditite/cham in the DW, you can breed it for a desired nature while passing off Telepathy if you so desire.

If only you can breed with a Ditto to pass on abilities. If only.

---------- Post added 01/03/2012 at 08:00 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that the Item I recommend for this set is, your personal preference. Try different items to see which one works for you. I also have no experience with Medicham so I never really tried any Medicham sets. I came up with the set but I never tried it on anything including Pokemon Online.

You could attempt to get an Adamant Female one, then try this set.

Medicham @ Salac Berry
Either ability works, but Pure Power is preferred

Endure
Reversal
Drain Punch
Protect/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch depending on preference

This is more of a singles user, but I've tested it in the past, and with Pure Power, it gets ridiculous. Obvious strategy, Endure when it will probably get one shotted, then salac berry activates, boosting speed. Reversal goes up to full power which is base 200 I believe, then there's STAB in there. Drain Punch will hit for STAB as well and heals damage off. Last slot is really pretty open. Ice Punch covers dragons, some flying types, Golurk, and other things I may not notice. Thunderpunch will hit Chandelure, which Medicham usually can't get at, while also taking out Skarmory and some water types pretty well. Protect is just in there because it's a good choice on almost any choice. Or to scout to see if it could get KO'd next turn.

Back