Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Drill Point Deck: How to Play/Tweak it?

OK, I stopped by my neighborhood game store yesterday and, following FlareonMaster's advice:thumb:, I picked up the Rising Rivals Drill Point Theme Deck.

I'll probably get together with my grandson tomorrow to play Pokemon with him before he takes off for a 4th of July camping trip.

So I'd be grateful for some strategy tips on how to play this new deck, and some suggestions on ways to tweak it.

Here's what's in the deck:

Rhyperior 四 x1
Flygon x1
Vibrava x2
Trapinch x4
Hippowdon 四 x2
Hippowdon x1
HIppopotas x4
Starmie x2
Staryu x4
Aerodactyl GL x4
Potion x2
Switch x2
Aaron's Collection x1
Bebe's Search x2
Felicity's Drawing x2
Volkner's Philosophy x2
Water Energy x12
Fighting Energy x12​

Last edited:
The symbol is a japanese letter that means "4", sp probably means special (anyone knows special ed :p ?)

How to tweak this really depends on how far you want to go, I doubt you want a tournament level deck, right?
So if you want an cheap tweek I'd really go and buy a second one, 4 Bebes Search, 4 Felicitas Drawing, 4 Volkners Philosophy 2 Aaron ? Sounds really solid.

You'd also have a 442 Flygon and a 32 Hippowdon (I wouldnt use more of the basics) Line, then I'd try to get a Secret Wonders Flygon and a few Stark Mountain, if you want to spend a little money you could also get Flygon LvX and Hippowdon LvX which would really improve this deck. But since you play for fun this probably isnt nessesary (on the other hand a Flygon LvX might be a nice present for your grandson, its definitly the kind of card I'd want to get :p Its rare, it looks awesome, its a Flygon (who wants to have a Honchkrow!?) and it can do 150 Dmg)

Anyway even without the LvX you'd have a solid deck which really is on a good way to getting competetive (dont know how old your grandson is / if hes interested in organised play) and offers some nice strategys to be explored.
Unfortunatly Rhyperior isnt really useful here so I'd get rid of it, Strarmie doesnt help either so I'd just try to find something more useful you could stick in.

I know it might sound strange to buy the same deck twice but to really imrpove a deck you need multiples of most cards, which increases the game flow (instead of waiting for 1 Flygon to show up you have 2 and 4 Bebes Search to get them) and makes playing much more fun because you mostly will get your big guys out instead of desperatly hoping to draw anything that fits together.
Theres nothing more boring that fighting each other with a wurmple and a snover because neither player draws the evolutions he needs.
And this starter deck is really amazing, there are so many useful trainers and both flygon and hippowdon are good pokemon which even have some kind of synergie.

Hope this helps (english isnt my first language but I tried my best :p)

Yoshi, I love your suggestion of buying TWO theme decks so you'll have a better build.

Toss out the "fluff" pokemon and combine the main lines and good supporters.

Great idea!

I second that thought. Fantastic advice Yoshi! You should write an article explaining it in more detail. It is a lot easier to combine two Drill Point decks than two Psychic Cut decks thanks to Drill Point having better supporters.

Last edited:
Wow, I didnt expect this to be anything special, it seems just the smartest thing to do, I mean, look at that decklist xD

Prime, an article about combining 2 starter decks? Some kind of beginner article?

Wow!

I can't believe I never thought about that Yoshi! You're a genius! Next time you come to the Pokemon Center, I'll give you a free potion.

Wow, I didnt expect this to be anything special, it seems just the smartest thing to do, I mean, look at that decklist xD

Prime, an article about combining 2 starter decks? Some kind of beginner article?

Maybe more helpful would be some article with tips on what to do after buying a starter deck (IE: What other starter decks to look for to ensure easy useful cards, how to go about modifying them, etc.). I know the rulebook really just gives rather useless tips (Take out the potions and put back into the decks the LV.X pokemon we removed when we brought the starter deck overseas! :D) <_<

@OP-yeah good buy on the drill point one. pretty much everything else is like crud compared to it.
and you can look up what the other theme decks have by
1. go this site's decklist creator
2. wait for load, and click on sample decks.
3. check out the lists. it'll tell what's in the decks w/o having to go buy them.
and for reference
roseanne's research comes in the powerhouse (electivire) deck and the darkrai one. :thumb:
and bebe comes in more than just two and i won't list them. (including drillpoint, but you already know)
and sadly bebe and roseanne come in seperate theme decks.

and yeah doubles on the themes are always a good buy.

OK, I stopped by my neighborhood game store yesterday and, following FlareonMaster's advice:thumb:, I picked up the Rising Rivals Drill Point Theme Deck.

I'll probably get together with my grandson tomorrow to play Pokemon with him before he takes off for a 4th of July camping trip.

So I'd be grateful for some strategy tips on how to play this new deck, and some suggestions on ways to tweak it.

Here's what's in the deck:

Rhyperior 四 x1
Flygon x1
Vibrava x2
Trapinch x4
Hippowdon 四 x2
Hippowdon x1
HIppopotas x4
Starmie x2
Staryu x4
Aerodactyl GL x4
Potion x2
Switch x2
Aaron's Collection x1
Bebe's Search x2
Felicity's Drawing x2
Volkner's Philosophy x2
Water Energy x12
Fighting Energy x12​

I am glad you went by my suggestion. (LOL) Anyways I agree with Yoshi on saying th best build is buy 2 of them for the best build of a strategy. Just take out the cards that you don't think are needed. I am glad I was of help in the last thread.

Back