Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

drrty byl's drrty Woodlands, TX SW Regionals

drrty byl

was considering a less run-o-the-mill deck at the last minute, but decided to go with magsol for reliable results and because it's still fun to play!

Round 1. chas from LA (magphlokitty)
he starts fast, I start out slowly: turn 3 Lv.X is plowing through my basics. he unintentionally plays flame body illegally with DRE for minus 4 counters and we call a judge to confirm it -- 2min time extension. i have some amazing burn and tsd flips to draw the last two prizes as time is called from being down 6-2. GG!
1-0

Round 2. chris (blissey absol)
slow start and at first it looks like straight blissey and i'm terrified! turn 2 cess lock. eventually get moving and bench em'
2-0

Round 3. cyrus (furrygardygatr)
playing my bro this early is not good, especially since i'm certain to lose! all of his attackers end up being prized and i have an amazing turn 2 setup. we agree that i now have to win out. sorry dawg
3-0

Round 4. will b. (crocodile)
nice to face another non-GG deck with so many out there. too bad he's got my weakness. he has a magnemite start and i'm lucky to get another rapid setup. despite continuing crap draws he manages to start coming back when time is called at prizes 4-2
4-0

Round 5. chris s. (dwd)
haven't seen this one in a while! he only draws into 1 windstorm, which cripples his early-game attacking. this is offset somewhat by flipping 3 SSU heads to pick up damaged krows each time! the firebreather eventually gets em'
5-0

Round 6. dana l. (bancar)
his setup is sluggish while mine is relatively quick and he gets some really bad burn flips. i make an attachment misplay vs. stance
6-0

Round 7. robbie (furry gardy)
turn 2 gardevoir followed by turn 3-4ish gallade vs. my absols. i struggle along slowly and push him to flip all the prizes, but make a hairbrained play attaching to a benched mortar which is then brought down next turn. luck and stamina are fading

6-1

-POP needs to consider having a nap break at this point during larger tournaments, especially for the little kids

-i'm delirious from driving a few hundred miles, playing cards all day and overloading on caffeine, but isn't that what the game is all about?!

top 16 looks like:

robbie - furgalgatr
drrty byl - magsol
cyrus - furgalgatr
chris - blissey absol
will b. - gatr
roy r. - gard
adam g. - plox
matt l. - furgard
dylan - furgard
tina - furgard
dana - bancar
taylor - furgard
cathy - gard
LAguy - gard
adrian - absolade
+1 more gardy player whose name i can't remember

something weird is going on when 75% of a top cut is comprised of nearly the same deck.. kind of sad really. hopefully the next set will stir things up a bit.

Top 16. dylan from LA (furrygardygatr)
game 1: I start out way, way ahead, pushing it 6-2 prizes in about 10-15 minutes of play. He makes an incredible comeback pushing the prize count to 1-1, but I swipe my last card first. game 2: we have like 10 minutes left for the second game, which he's a prize ahead in when time is called.

Top 8. matt l. from LA (furrygardynoir)
game 1: I have a T1 win in my opening hand; unfortunately the rules were changed with the release of DP1 such that the player going first cannot play any trainers on his or her first turn. i'm going first. he proceeds to set up T1 claydol and then T1 gardevoir; i gamble on a 7-card copycat for a fire energy and a magmortar to one-shot the gardevoir: I get the fire but not the mortar and merely do 80. this game drags on for a while as we trade blows, but he eventually locks in his setup and we move to game 2.
game 2: we both have speedy starts and i discard some key stuff. i bench em
game 3: i flail around with crappy basics while he zooms ahead to an ideal setup. at the end of the game i manage to pull a few prizes. i think flame blast was doing 160, but it was too late. good games man. matt goes on to defeat adam and then roy to win the tournament.

props:
staff for slaving over and running an awesome event!
106 players in masters
luck for finally turning in my favor a bit
dukkyo59 for giving in and going to the tournament

slops:
cops
driving 320 miles into the night nonstop after playing pokemon all day
cyrus' awful luck
$3.35/gallon unleaded gasoline
gallade

Good Job Billy!!
We rock!

it was a good game we had =D
See yah at some Battle Roads!

Magsol 3.0-coming to a Battle Road near you.

Good work on the T8, Byl. You made the PMP of Pokemon proud.

Back