Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Drrty's 23rd Place Tom Bean, TX CC Report

drrty byl

Getting up at 6:30 and driving 180 miles on Saturday morning is always exciting! I hop in my go kart shortly after 7 and head out to meet Cyrus. There's a communication breakdown as it turns out our Albertson's meeting point has shut down -- must be Recession Claus. We eventually rendezvous and book it to TOM BEAN, TX just in time for a festive parade. There are tractors, fire trucks, and even gaited horses in true Tejas fashion. Luckily we aren't the very latest to show up and actually get deck-checked before start-time. The kindness of not-so-unfamiliar strangers allows me to play cards we don't yet own, such as luxury ball.

Deck List
"Le Suck"

21 Pokemon
3-3 Wailord
3-2-2 Gliscor 9/146, 5/146, Lv.X
2-2 Claydol
1 Uxie LA
2 Unown G
1 Azelf LA

4 Bebe's Search
1 Luxury Ball
4 Roseanne's Research
3 Professor Oak's Visit
3 Team Galactic's Wager
4 Warp Point
4 Super Scoop Up
2 Switch
1 Night Maintenance

13 Energy
9 Fighting Energy
4 Call Energy

The strategy for this deck, at least in theory, is just like hit and run fossil/politoed ex stuff. The only problem was that it wasn't tested, and its performance lived up to the name given to it. Also, the "theory" proved itself completely ineffective in the current format. This deck is not good. Don't play it unless you want to lose or have great difficulty winning. This list encourages excessive fits of fancy play syndrome, which results in excessive fits of losing.

Round 1: Dana L./Mobb2099
It turns out that Scizor/Cherrim eats this deck alive. Like most people, I misplay against the bodies and attack effects multiple times. On top of that, I'm not hitting any draw. Poison and paralysis are a joke vs. his Dawn Stadiums. Dale (to Mobb): "did you win?" Me (cutting in): "he didn't just win, he MASSACRED ME!" 0-1
Round 2: Aspiring Pokekid
Cherrim/Torterra is even slower than my deck. Nonetheless this is a very close game that goes to time, with FPS earning a decisive victory, having drawn 2 prizes vs. 1. 1-1
Round 3: Nancy L.
FPS in full effect. I think I played 2 warp points, 2 SSUs and a switch all in one turn at some point. This happens to be one of those lucky starts where you set up fast even though you're playing a terrible list. Time is called at 4-4, Fainting spell: "heads". 1-2
Round 4: George C.
The deck never sets up. I play a bunch of SSUs and warp points, which is totally sweet, making fun of the deck all the way to the bank. He's ahead by at least a couple of prizes at time. 1-3
Round 5: Out-of-age-group Aspiring Pokekid #2
I don't remember much, except for playing a bunch of super scoop ups and warp points. This game also goes to time. I try to lose early by going for SSU with 1 Pokemon out, but hit tails. 1-4
Round 6: "Pawpaw"
This Grandpa is a new player with a Torterra/Lucario/Luxray deck. This is a close game that runs to time, but not before a grandson makes his way over to the table, remarking "Pawpaw, he's weird-looking! (referring to me)" Pawpaw: "I know, go over and see your sister". SSU+warp point FTW!

Cyrus goes on to the top cut -- Mobb wins.

Props
SSU, Warp Point, and Switch -- all in the same deck
Papiano's of Tom Bean, TX for rapidly serving up delicious cheese pizza during the lunch break
23rd place (there are like 28 players that finish the tournament: top 80%!)
Grandkid: "Pawpaw, he's weird-looking!"
Tom Bean City Hall
Judges & Staff
Judges making fun of my deck during the tournament
Multiple birthdays

Slops
Recession Claus: for shutting down Albertson's
FPS
DJ wrongly accused of theft at the mega-mart
The above-listed deck

Back