Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Durant

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMeches

Wanted to try a new flavor for Durant since a lot of the support has left. Have been playing this on PTCGO and having decent success so wanted to share!!

Pokemon 7
4 Durant (Devour)
2 Sableye
1 Cobalion Ex

Trainers 42
4 N
3 Juniper
2 Ghetsis
2 Skyla
3 Crushing Hammer
3 Enhanced Hammer
4 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball
2 Revive
1 Super Rod
4 Pokemon Catcher
2 Random Receiver
1 Dowsing Machine
2 Energy Search
2 Switch
3 Eviolite
1 Tool Scrapper

Energy 11
8 Metal
3 Dark

I have played over 30 games now with this list and won 23. From Plasma to the obscure, Durant just eats their deck and does not care what is in front of them. I considered Life Dew, but the drive to needing a certain card in certain matchups makes Dowsing Machine to powerful. No Stadium also creates a Laser Nightmare, but the average I have written down is 1 Laser a game (unless it is Sableye). Eels has a hard time even though you are dumping their energy in the discard. Primarily because you can use the same method of catchering an Eel and locking forcing the manual attachment. During my play, I noticed Keldeo and Float Stone is EVERYWHERE! As it should be. That forced the lone Tool Scrapper. Most people are only playing 2 Float Stones, so a single Scrapper with Sableye (Often given up as a prize) Suffices. Cobalion is there on that off chance you need to take a few prizes and also for Kyurem Plasma. Getting rid of the Specials is critical and Enhanced Hammer only goes so far. Kyurem poses a true threat and gives you the chance to pull that 4th Durant that might be prized.

No for the Durants... I have seen several people playing 1 Pull out or 1 Lock Durant. I did not like the mixture as you need to start discarding Turn 1 if at all possible. Starting with an Ant that can't can and will lose the game for you later. In fact 4 of my loses were because of this factor. Once I changed over to all Devour, my T1 consistency of discarding went up and resulted in more overall Wins.

Good Luck Trainers and enjoy Battle Roads!!

Fish

Props to actually getting the deck to work old-school style (no Plasma Klinklang or anything)...

I'm just really surprised to see you got good results. In theory, this deck still gets utterly mauled by Darkrai, so I'm wondering how this list deals with that considering Darkrai still is a top tier deck.

Props to actually getting the deck to work old-school style (no Plasma Klinklang or anything)...

I'm just really surprised to see you got good results. In theory, this deck still gets utterly mauled by Darkrai, so I'm wondering how this list deals with that considering Darkrai still is a top tier deck.

Darkrai loses its steam once Sableye is Gone purely because of Cobalion. Since it can 2 Shot Darkrai. I tend to Mill away while building Cobalion. Revive and Super Rod is the key in that matchup. Also Catcher really forces the attachments where they do not want to go at times. That in itself makes it more difficult for Darkrai. Juniper is also the clutch item against Rai. They have to go through their decks to get their resources so they tend to dump Junipers really early on. This in itself makes it difficult.

I don't mind posting that info as the matchup is still pretty decent.

Sableye is the Key. Knowing when to bring Sableye up and waste a mill spot in order to setup the final push matters. It is all timing, so not an easy deck to play. Also, you have to remember and not panic if they take prizes early. Several matches I got behind 3 prizes. It was ok as I just played N and forced a hand reduction while Catcher stalling something. That in itself allows for a few turns of Milling.

It ain't easy and would definitely deter more Aggro players form playing it. This is a finesse deck that takes a methodical player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back