Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dusknoir - what happened?

nnaann

During the CC's Dusknoir was one of the most played decks winning the most/ second most tournaments.

However since the release of Platinum, it's not seeing any play - whats the reason?

Slow play? It had a good Kingdra and Machamp matchup during CC's and has a decent 2 energy attack. Duskull has the ability Reaper Cloth which hurts Machamp and Kingdra.

More people tend to be playing more Stadium - 3/4 - is this the case?

Dialga G although I haven't tested with Deafen and shutting off all bodies looks like a perfect partner for Dusknoir.

Decks increased ways to get around Dusknoir Lv X's power, like Gengar's Fainting Spell?

Last edited:
Basically, yes. Dialga G and anything with Skunktank G destroyed it during States. Maybe Nidoqueen RR could stop pokemon from bypassing Ectoplasm like how it worked for Gengar, maybe?

I won 2 Cities with Dusknoir/Lumineon, but it got sussed out a bit towards the end of Cities and people started playing 2-3 Unown G.

There are a lot more things to hurt it now: Nidoqueen, more Stadiums being played, Dialga G, Shadow Command getting Sprayed . . .

I still think Dusknoir can do ok, especially if lists include the DP one as a tech, but it's not top tier like it was.

i played duskgar at the nats it went well until the super speed decks came out if sp pokemon did not exist i amigne that the deck would be very popular especials wit super speedy gengar

I think with the addition of Damage Porter and Upper Energy we might still have viable Dusknoir decks. Since Damage Porter works in the same way as Damage Even, though it bypasses Unown G, and Upper Energy helps fuel Night Spin. But I think making a strong and solid Dusknoir deck would be too difficult and time consuming for competitive play, which is why people have started to stop playing it.

I think with the addition of Damage Porter and Upper Energy we might still have viable Dusknoir decks. Since Damage Porter works in the same way as Damage Even, though it bypasses Unown G, and Upper Energy helps fuel Night Spin. But I think making a strong and solid Dusknoir deck would be too difficult and time consuming for competitive play, which is why people have started to stop playing it.

except for the fact that you cant attach the new TM to a dusknoir

Also Dusknoir need's two Psychic and one Coulorless to attack so Upper energy is pointless.

I play speed Dusknoir w/ Energy Pickup and it works great. If there is no Dusknoir player, then I'm the only one who plays it.

It's still an awesome deck, but most people don't know how to play the deck in this format now.

Dialga G, and I use Ditto in my Dusknoir so I can kill my own Ditto against Gengar. Dialga G, I use that. Nobody here thinks about running Dusknoir, all about the new stuff. So it's not dead AT ALL, it's just forgotten.

There are ways to getting to Night Spin by T1.

Last edited:
I intend to play Dusknoir at my countries nationals....I think it still is one of the best cards out there and that the coming and rise of SP decks isn't neccesarily a bad thing. The general low-ish HP of SP's makes it alot easier to score KO's by spreading and damage evening. Dialga G is also a beautiful play with Dusky and deafen starts (I play Energy gain) helps making Dusknoir relatively fast....

It still as potential, but it's not the deck it used to be....

Its decrease in play is just because the staple use of Unown G,you can just play 2 pokemon,attach unown G to them and its pretty much over alot of the time,just like Gengar. Plus its high attack cost is another reason. Why put 3 energy on a pokemon with 120HP that damages itself,when you can just attach one and do 60/20 and has 130 hp.

Speed.

well, DuskZong still is a good deck. T2 snipe, opponent KOs DusknoirlvX starts spreading, you bring up MD Zong, its a force to be reckoned with if Dusknoir lvX comes in as stadium, but it probably wont last longer than 2 turns because of all the stadiums being played.

I was fifth in nationals with dusknoir/dialga g deck... Lost topcut T1 against Kingra :p.
So dusknoir is still working.

There's absolutely nothing bad about Dusknoir SF + DP Dusk tech.
I certainly do NOT want to run into it.

Unown Gs are far and few nowadays (maybe ONE in each deck), so damage even would SMASH things in this format.
The LvXs spead wouldn't be as effective because everyone is running so many stadiums in decks now.

BUt... long story short, BTS + Rare Candy = A very playable Dusky deck.

i played duskgar at the nats it went well until the super speed decks came out if sp pokemon did not exist i amigne that the deck would be very popular especials wit super speedy gengar

wait, nats happened???? *checks calendar*?????

The LvXs spead wouldn't be as effective because everyone is running so many stadiums in decks now.

The thing about that is (and always has been) that unless you are immediately ready to drop that Stadium, you're looking at a probable 4 counter spread on everything you have. And even if you do have the Stadium ready, it's 2 counters on everything you have before you can drop the Stadium. And, if they're ready with a Bronzong, it can be devastating to anyone's set-up. That kind of spread-power can out-spread most healing techs (except maybe Nidoqueen RR.) The major question is, is it really powerful enough? Most American metagames seem to think not...

Look, Dusknoir just couldn't deal with Skunktank G. Ectoplasm NEVER activates. I don't know how long it's gonna take for you people to realise this. Gengar has real troubles with Dialga G. So does Dusknoir, in the same way.

The thing about that is (and always has been) that unless you are immediately ready to drop that Stadium, you're looking at a probable 4 counter spread on everything you have. And even if you do have the Stadium ready, it's 2 counters on everything you have before you can drop the Stadium. And, if they're ready with a Bronzong, it can be devastating to anyone's set-up. That kind of spread-power can out-spread most healing techs (except maybe Nidoqueen RR.) The major question is, is it really powerful enough? Most American metagames seem to think not...

Anyone with solid play skills will have that answer. Dusknoir fails in many aspects in the format, it can easily be guarded, it is slow to attack, and has bad damage output.

Spread fails. Alakazam 4 LvX, Nidoqueen, Palkia G LvX, Super Scoop Up, and Poketurn are EASY solutions to it. Spread is dead.

Back