Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dutch Champion 9-1 Report :D

Treecko

As i promised here's my report:

Well, after italy's nationals i saw andceo got 2nd with his grumpigstall. I kinda liked the deck, but i never played it. One week before nats, i decided to give it a try. I tested agains Lia, Jasper, Arnoud, and some others. They all got mad at me for playing such a stupid deck xD
I lost only 2 times out of like 30-40, 2 times to absolutions, and i know there was little chance that anyone would play that, and i also won about 6 matches to absolutions. So saturday evening i decide to play it.

Next day we arrive at the venue and we get our decks ready and register etc.
After a while we start, and i get my first round bye:

Round 1: BYE for winning STP

1-0

Round 2: Frank B (scipio on here i think)- sally ex/altaria ex
He is a nice guy, and i beat him a lot of times, and last time he beat me.
This time, he thinks im playing flygon or banette as i always did. But he sees my fossils, and he's not happy :p. He gets castform setup, but he isn't going to delta draw as he is too scared to deck out, and he got some good cards already. After a while he gets altaria and i get my grumpig, and cursed stones. He slowly dies to grumpig and after a while he scoops, saying that it wont work to do 150 to a fossil and discard 5 cards xD

2-0

Round 3: Jeroen L. (Plaf-the master on here) - Flygon ex d
I thought flygon ex d was a fairly good match up, i tested it a few times and i never lost to it.
I got a normal setup, and he gets set up after a while too. I get dugtrio and grumpig and some fossils, along with some cursed stones. I also got latias* after a while and i took 2 prizes. He just couldn't keep up. Good match anyways :)

3-0

Round 4: Anna S. (Fireborn) - Flygon ex d
Yay another flygon i think. But when i start, i'm almost going to cry. Farmer, 3 energy, 2 fossils and someting useless. Well after 3 or 4 turns i draw into a steven's advice, and draw 4. then i can get set up with a scott and some other things. Luckily for me she did start with spearow, thats why i could get a few turns to get set up. I do have a problem, because she starts attacking with ray ex d, and my diglett was prized. And also i didnt have a full loaded grumpig, as it just would die when i took 3 turns to attach energy. So i decided to try a psyshock with my grumpig, so i could take one turn for my latias * to charge up. I did flip heads, so that was good. Then the turn after, i flipped heads again, and then i KO-ed her ray ex d. Then i could do some fossil stall as normally, and cursed stone helped. She farmered her ray ex d and i farmered latias *. In the end she couldnt do anything with 3 exes left, and i had a full latias * and 2 prizes left. Really exciting game :)

4-0

Round 5: Kevin de M. (Kevin98) - Raieggs
Well, nothing to say about this, i start with 2 claw fossil, farmer and 4 energy. 3 turns later i'm done

4-1

Round 6: Marcel O. (Bolle_Aap?? xD) - Raieggs
I get normal setup, and i think he also did. But i koed his casty kinda fast. He got stuck with not much and doesn't draw into anything good. I keep on switching for fossils and he cant do anything.
Too bad, but well, it happened to me too :(

5-1

So top standings get announced and i get in 2nd with a freaking high resistance. And then, i check who's 15th...
Lia :nonono:

Top 16: Lia van B. (Rainbowgym) - Absolutions
I get the win, thanks a lot Lia. I hope you do good at the grinder.

6-1

Top 8: Marcel O. (again) - Raieggs
So, we start, and when i draw my hand, im like YAYAYAY im lucksack: 2 fossils, and energys
a few turns later im dead again...
0-1 for Marcel
Well, we start a new game, and he's like, i hope you get such a start again xD.
I get scott or something in my hand, and a spoink and 2 fossils and some nrg, so im glad :).
I don't remember much of it, but i won in the end.
1-1
I get about the same start as game 2, so i set up again, and so does he. We both take some prizes because i dont have lots of fossils, and i can win in the end again.

Top 4: Florens van H. - Metanite
Well, im happy, because metanite is IMO one of my best matchups.
We start normally and i sleep his beldum on T1, he flips tails.
Next turn i try it again, but it didnt work, and he retreated and delta drawed for 5.
I get grumpig, and fossils, and i get a KO with strength charm on the casty, and get behind a fossil.
He gets metagross and starts to load it with energy. I didnt think of that strategy yet, but cursed stone and claw fossil hit through metals so i dont worry too much. I just keep on going, though i only do like 10 or 20 a turn max. In the end he just cant keep up and i win.
1-0 for me
Next game, i start off normally again and build up my spoink.
I now am aware that my 4 cursed stones, celebi ex, and farmer is maybe not enough to keep the cursed stone in play, so i play my giant stump first, when he got like 5 basics benched. As i thought he played holon ruins, and he played 2 more basics. Then i played another Giant Stump and he windstormed that one. So now i can go on with my cursed stones :D. We only have like 15 minutes left, and i think we can't finish the match. Florens just took his time, each turn using supporters, and powers as usual and thinking a bit. I thought like, ok take the time, im on the lead. So in the end we didnt finish the game, but i would've won it i think, just because of the cursed stones.

Finals: Kevin de M. - Raieggs
Well, i'm like: i get 1000$ scholarship, and maybe the rankings invite, even if i lose.
So, im prepared to get a GOOD hand this time xD
I get normal start, like him. He mentors and starts discarding cess. crystals, and im like, ok..?
cess. crystal is the only way he can hit me when dugtrio is up, and he realizes that mid-game.
I just go and blast my way through some exeggutors and raichu's, i koed a 3 metal tanking raichu with my dugtrio and he couldnt do much. The match took about 30-35 minutes, so i was kinda relaxed now.
We start again, and i star with: 2 castform, 1 celebi ex, as my only basics :/
i got lanette though, so i search for spoink diglett and magnemite, and i can set up.
He does K.O. my castform with an early eggs, so i just put up my spoink with 1 energy.
I sleep him, he flips tails. I put new spoink with energy, and sleep again, he flips tails again :D.
So, i evolve next turn and just go behind fossils, this time he's prepared and didnt discard his cess. crystals. He zzzaps and split bombs through my dugtrio, so im having a hard time.
Anyways, in the beginning, i played a giant stump, and we just kept having 3 basics both.
After a while, he got to do 50 dmg to ko my dugtrio. He comes up with his exeggutor, and then realizes he does 10 dmg short to ko it. He plays a pika on bench and im like ok, and he ko-ed my dugtrio.
So, next turn i draw a card, and put a fossil down. I or the judge realized that my dugtrio couldnt be knocked out :S. So we reverse and i get my dugtrio back with 60 dmg. I get a prize penalty, because kevin got his prize for the dugtrio already. BUT... he got to keep his prize and im like omg***bbq, but i dont really care. We play along and i keep on putting fossils up front, in the end when theres like 5 min. left, he scoops, saying there's no way he could win the game anymore.
And then, im like YAY :D I WIN :D

So we get our prizes and all, and there were some pics taken.
Then i went home, and ate something, posted a little bit on the gym, and got to bed.
I had a GREAT day (who wouldn't when winning his nats xD).

Props:
-GRUMPIGSTALL :D
-Andceo, Gatsu, or anyone that worked on Grumpigstall
-Lia and co. for taking me anywhere and playing against my deck a lot of times, though they knew its almost impossible to win from grumpigstall xD.
-The prizes :)
-Fun Tournament :)
- alot more but im not gonna keep on going, because i still got a lot to do now xD

Slops:
-Bad Hands

So, that's it, its a long report xD

BTW, i played because i wanted to have fun, and not miss my Nationals.
A lot of people asked me, why do you play. And some even asked, why the **** do you play grumpigstall, isnt that risky? But i liked the deck, and as i said, i wanted to play my nats. The game is about fun right???

Arco :)

rofl you were never having any hard time during the finals. neither did I though because the match is basically an autoloss when you set up... I knew what I was going into. (fyi the strength charms really killed it).

GJ, but now you better win worlds buddy

Arco, i don't know you but you sound like the best player Europe ever had.

your playing at Nationals even with 2070+ is a show of real class and sportmanship.

i'll be your #1 fan at Worlds!!!!!!!

Amazing job!

P.S. great deck's choice!

thanks all :)
but kevin, you may feel like it wasnt hard for me, but it kinda was.
i know it wasnt easy for you, but that second match was REALLY harder than the first for me. You played a lot better, so i think you did learn from the first match how to play better. But as you said, when i get set up, its almost impossible to get beaten.

as for worlds, this time im NOT gonna play a fun deck xD
im gonna try to win this time, and i hope i can do a good job there with a good deck like grumpigstall :p
too bad it dies, stupid DP rules

Yeah after you had set up I had no chance to win, lol for that time that I didn't attack your fossil and you just ended your turn and I did do my stuff, draw cards, attach energies, evolve and didn't attack and then you just ended your turn and well I really saw no chance to do anything so I just tried to have fun the last minutes of the match.
I'm glad you didn't have more crappy starts and yeah you now have nr.1 rating in the world, Good Luck at Worlds :thumb:

yeah that was really funny, i was up in prizes so i just draw a card, and then say your turn xD
anyways, thanks, and ill try to do good at worlds

Is your version of Grumpig-stall Grumpig with fossils?

Or do the rule changes not effect Europe yet?:confused:

grumpig isn't as good as politoad ex. Its the other stuff that makes grumpig stall work.

FWIW poli-stall and grumpig-stall were the only two near autolosses that our R-gon-alike had:eek:nce set up r-gon-alike cant win. Absolutions should beat the stall deck but its not easy. I always thought that delta had the advantage against the stall decks. I'll have to check that match up again, its obviously closer than I thought.

Grumpig was really THE DECK.
It's not doing as much damage as Politoed EX, but it's only a stage 1 and that makes a 6 cards difference in the deck, and you can use Mary's request.

I was the victim of almost all the playtesting and I tried with several decks to win, but not a single change when Grumpig player has normal set up.
The only 2 decks who might have a chance to win were RaiEggss and Absolutions.
We didn't test the RaiEggs matches because I don't like RaiEggs and I am not willing to play it.

If you never played against this deck you cannot imagine how difficult it is to beat.
I really had to demand myself to playtest so many games against it, because it starts to irritate after a few games of loosing.
Most decks simply don't have a sollution for it.

This was Arco's season and he ended it with a big bang (and this was his first year in Masters)
I am looking forward to next season.

And yes Arco, this year NO FUN DECK at Worlds.

Something to remember: PigStall doesn't do bench damage. A tech Absol ex helps a lot for resistance, otherwise random bench damage and retreat. Or do Pigstall decks play reversal?

delta can only beat it with really nice hands. I had 2 main strategies going into the finals, but the strength charm prevented the 1st one from working. I scoop so we actually had 37 minutes to play, going for my second strategy; split bombs. you force your opponent to keep up and thats what arco did (the 2 sleep checks early were a big part in this too) =(
let me put it this way: metanite's chances at winning to grumpig are bigger than delta's.

believe the hype

Metanite will simply loose because of the cursed stones.
We tried with 3 different Metanite builds and they didn't work (mine had the best option, but my luck not)

Delta vs Grumpigstall is even more of an autoloss than Delta vs Flygon/R-Gon. I can think of only 2 ways for Delta to win. 1 is split bombing really fast and keeping those up, which is really hard because Grumpig OHKO's Eggs. The second is just pure luck with the starting hands. As Kevin says, believe the hype. A mentor T2 for Grumpigstall is 99% of Delta's doom.

Back