Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Edited with even more questions and clarifications so as to not start a new thread

redthirst

Hi there. I'm an old player (back around the days of Fossil and Jungle) just getting back into the game. Been playing some, and I have a few questions that have come up recently. First, I was wondering whether Double Rainbow and Scramble Energy count as various energy types for abilities. I played against a player who told me that these energies count as all types of energy for various purposes, and I just wanted to get a confirmation on this. Specifically, these were all things that I saw or was told: Double Rainbow counts as Fire for purposes of Magmortar's Flame Body healing, for Typholosion's Firestarter ability, it counts as 2 fire energy for Magmortar's Flare attack, and it counts as a water energy for purposes of being discarded by Typhlosion's Evaporating Heat attack. The wording on Double Rainbow didn't particularly lead me to believe it actually counts as all types of energy, so I just wanted to get a confirmation on this.

Also, a quick question about leveling up a Lv. X. Does this count as evolving for purposes of removing special conditions? Can a pokemon be leveled up on the first turn by the first player? Also, can a pokemon be leveled up to Lv. X on the same turn that it is played or evolved? Could a pokemon be leveled up on the same turn that it is evolved due to Rare Candy? And speaking of Rare Candy, can this be used on the first turn by the first player to evolve a pokemon? (Mostly, I'm just not sure what the difference is between a Lv. X and an Evolution card.)

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for the help!

+EDIT+ Since I can't respond , I have to edit here. Thanks for the answers, my confusion at DRE stems from the wording: "DRE provides every type of energy" not "DRE becomes every type of energy". In Magic, a game I'm much more familiar with, there is a huge difference between the two... for example: a forest is a land that provides green mana, but not every land that provides green mana is a forest.

Also, I've read many rules many places for this game and was wondering if there was anywhere I could get an "official" rules set... I've read at least 3 that had different rules for restrictions on the first player (the rules on pokebeach state that the first player can't play support cards; not trainers, support, and stadiums and here I'm told they can't play any of those, so that's two reliable places for information telling me two different things).

And just so I have it straight, level uping to a Lv. X has all the restrictions of evolving + having to be on the active pokemon, and it provides all the benefits of evolving + being able to use attacks and powers/bodies from the leveled up pokemon, correct?

Last edited:
Double Rainbow counts as Fire for purposes of Magmortar's Flame Body healing
yes, it is in play the moment it is attached and the Power sees it as fire.
for Typholosion's Firestarter ability
No. It only provides fire while in play, not in the discard
it counts as 2 fire energy for Magmortar's Flare attack
Magmortar doesn't have a Flare attack, Magmar does. If you meant Flame Blast, then yes.
, and it counts as a water energy for purposes of being discarded by Typhlosion's Evaporating Heat attack.
Yes, it is in play, so it provides all colors at that time.

The wording on Double Rainbow didn't particularly lead me to believe it actually counts as all types of energy, so I just wanted to get a confirmation on this.
It says "While in play, Double Rainbow Energy provides every type of Energy", and that's what it does.

Also, a quick question about leveling up a Lv. X. Does this count as evolving for purposes of removing special conditions?
It removes Special Conditions, but I don't want to say "it counts as evolving". It has a lot in common with evolving, but it is not an evolution.
Can a pokemon be leveled up on the first turn by the first player? Also, can a pokemon be leveled up to Lv. X on the same turn that it is played or evolved? Could a pokemon be leveled up on the same turn that it is evolved due to Rare Candy?
Hey! You said A quick question!! :lol:
No to all of these.
And speaking of Rare Candy, can this be used on the first turn by the first player to evolve a pokemon? (Mostly, I'm just not sure what the difference is between a Lv. X and an Evolution card.)
Correction, no Trainers, Supporters, or Stadiums can be played by the first player on their first turn. Only the person going second can play Rare Candy on THEIR first turn. The difference between the two cards is that one is a Level Up card that keeps the Pokemon the same and the other is an Evolution card which brings a new Pokemon (new name) into play.

Last edited:
Back