Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Effective bench snipers?

xl Aero

Hey all, I was working on my deck and was trying to think of a good bench sniper that hits for decent damage.

The general idea of my deck is to put the enemy to sleep as soon as possible, then use Shiftry RR for a forced always tails, hence removing any chance of waking or switching (with the exception of Switch and Warp Point, or any sort of Special Condition remover). Afterwards, I would snipe the bench in the safety of at least a few turns of safe sniping. In case Shiftry is removed, the sleep is caused by Parasect SV, so even then they would only have a 25% chance to awaken.

As for bench sniping, my first thought was Garchomp C Lv. X. However, his attack Dragon Rush is strong but a bit too costly for my standards.

I was wondering if, possibly, you might have any sort of idea what cards, in this format, might be a good sniper. For instance, something that can snipe more than one pokemon, or snipe with relatively strong damage. Spiritomb C would not be an option, as an example, because his 10 damage Sharpshooting is quite weak. Crobat Prime's Skill Dive is nice but may be hard to get onto the field early on. I am also looking for a low Energy cost and a relatively easy card to get onto the field.

My deck plans to run a generally monotype Grass, or a generally Fire/Grass dualtype.

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like Shiftry RR idea won't work, but still I'm going to work on that sleep and snipe tactic, so I'd still like to know if you have any good snipers. Thanks!

Last edited:
Look at Shiftry again.

He affets coin flips during your opponent's turn

The Sleep coin flip takes place in between turns.

So this idea doesn't work.

Oh. OH. Baww.

Well, either way I'm looking for bench snipers, so if you happen to have any good ones in mind it'd be great to list them for me. Thanks. ^^;

Personally, I am a fan of Heatran LvX and Rapidash (AR). For 2 Fire you can snipe anything for 60 without any discard (Due to Heatran's Power), and if Rapidash is damaged, the defending Pokemon is burned. With Heatran's PokeBody, all Burn flips are tails, and burn isn't removed by evolving. Might not be exactly what you had in mind though...

Ah, well that Rapidash is SF (I just TnT'd it. xD) It seems to be a good combo.

I was actually planning to run a Blaziken FB Lv. X and Heatran Lv. X in my deck, I just couldn't find a good use for them. XD Now I have one. :D Thanks!

Although with burn working it's magic to kill, my deck won't really serve much as a lock anymore, but oh well. :3

@Laura: Yes but it seems a little weak for me. :[ And it's only when you play Crobat G from the hand to bench. I don't have SSU's to use and keep doing that. XD

You use Poke Turns for Crobats.

Heatran LV X is a real pain to set up and can be a liability. I've never seen it work very well.

You won't find a better sniper in the format than Garchomp. Most people think he's overpowered as it is.

Gengar SF can snipe Pokemon with Powers for 60 (30 if they don't have a Power)

Starmie LA can snipe anything with a Power or Body for 50 damage . . . only costs 1 Psychic to use and no discard.

Drifblim FB can snipe FOR WEAKNESS (nice vs Pixies)

Blastoise UL snipes for 100 but discards 2 and the attack is expensive (try Gatr Prime or Floatzel UL with it)

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Garchomp, too costly?
b..b..b..b..bwhaaaaaaaat!
Costly, pfft, for a egain and a dce he can do 80. Costly, i dont think so.

@baby mario: Blastoise snipes doesnt discard 2 energy, it sends it back to his hand.

@pkmn202: I'm guessing he means costly by the fact that u have to discard 2 energy to use it.

Relicanth I support. Also Honchkrow G and Crobat could be an option if you can fit a few Turns and Energy gains. It can effectively snipe for 50 a turn or forty on a Pokemon already damaged.

There arn't many good fire snipers that i can think of..

Honchkrow G and Crobat G are probably the easiest combo,
Honchkrow G in T-Tar can win games easily..

Garchomp is still the king of sniping though.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Yes, I still keep on coming back to Garchomp C Lv. X and I probably will end up running it.

But his attack's drawback is just..bad for me. Discarding two energies means I will probably be ridding myself of one of my four DCE's, without any way to get it back easily. Also, the forced attacking every other turn slows him down as well.

Only thing I can think of to avoid this discard drawback is to have Pokemon on the bench to pick it right back up through Powers or Bodies. But of course, there isn't going to be too much to take back Special Energies, I don't think.

Drapion if U can get it set up lol
Bring up a pokemon from the bench and u can snipe any pokemon on their bench, while keeping their active active, while under trainer lock :D

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Yes, I still keep on coming back to Garchomp C Lv. X and I probably will end up running it.

But his attack's drawback is just..bad for me. Discarding two energies means I will probably be ridding myself of one of my four DCE's, without any way to get it back easily. Also, the forced attacking every other turn slows him down as well.

It is well worth a snipe on an 80 hp SP basic/basic in stage two deck, other chomps, etc. plus the healing ability is simply amazing! There is a reason it is the most widely played LV X.

It is well worth a snipe on an 80 hp SP basic/basic in stage two deck, other chomps, etc. plus the healing ability is simply amazing! There is a reason it is the most widely played LV X.

Although that is true, I don't see how I can continue to keep getting back its discarded energy. Running it in my Tangrowth deck, the only thing I can think of is to have it discard 2 Grass Energy, retreat to Tangrowth X and have Tangrowth retrieve the energy, then (with possibly a Flygon RR on the bench) retreat Tangrowth and let Garchomp continue its rampage.

Other than that, I don't see how I can continue to recycle and flow my energies together while not dedicating too many to Garchomp C Lv. X.

Blastoise PL is my favorite.. my buddy uses him its a real pain in the butt. 2 bench guys take a 60 damage snipe.

A card that hasn't been listed yet: Palkia G.

But yeah, as others have said, Gengar SF and Garchomp C Lv. X are definitely the best snipers in the format.

If you're using Garchomp C's Dragon Rush to snipe the bench, you are usually picking targets with 80HP or less. Burn the DCE and move on, because it netted you a prize. That's how Luxchomp decks do it.

But if you really want to try to retrieve those special energies, Manectric G can do it, and then use Bronzong G to move them to someone else.

If you're looking for something that can hit multiple Pokemon, Infernape 4 Split Bomb is a decent attack. Or maybe you want true spread like Abomasnow Snow Play.

Back