Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Effective Magnezone Prime Counter?

jjkkl

Front Page Article Editor
I'm looking for an effective counter to Magnezone prime at this stage. As you can likely infer from how much I reference it, I run KGL (Kyogre-Groudon Legend), and without Exploud SV to protect me I'm looking for a counter to that pesky 2 Energy Lost Burn that Magnezone can hit me with. I've always been playing it with a Blastoise to snipe Magnemites / Magnetons / Magnezones before they become a threat, but recently it's been a race against time that I have been slowly losing against as my friends continually become more aggressive in their play styles against me.

So, aside from Donphan (since my buddy uses all our Donphans for his deck), does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have around 5 slots and I use Feraligatr support. Any suggestions are appreciated, but please keep them serious.

As a note, I'm willing to change some parts of my deck if need be if it requires more than 5 spots, so feel free to let me know.

Do you run Fighting energy at all? (probably not, but I've seen some lists with it)

I don't run fighting energy at all. I prefer not to discard my own deck.

Krookadile :v TORMENT TO DEATH

omg KROOKADIEL TORMENT >:C

Maybe. I can give it a shot. I'm kinda uneasy about that water weakness staring at me in the face, but I'll see how it goes.

I don't run fighting energy at all. I prefer not to discard my own deck.

omg KROOKADIEL TORMENT >:C

Maybe. I can give it a shot. I'm kinda uneasy about that water weakness staring at me in the face, but I'll see how it goes.

I wouldn't do it either. Self discard is bad imo, (Unless you have Research Record..)
Possibly +Rainbow/fighting
Counters-Sawk (Though Flippy), Terrakion, Excadrill 57/58. Thats just EP though.

I'll check out Terrakion and Excradrill and see how it works. Sawk seems way too flippy for me to have him go up against them. Any thoughts on Weavile disruption as a discard counter?

You might want to try out Gliscor from UD. It's Ninja Fang can paralyze a Pokemon for 1 fighting if it does not have any damage counters on it. All you have to do is gust of a magnezone hit it for 60 plus paralyze. Then it can't use any power so hope they don't have switch and use it next attack, hit the zone for 120 plus poison. It would be a 3 energy KO for lost burn because of its lightning resistance. It had 90 HP and weakness to water and that sucks but its a solid Magnezone counter. You might want to look into it.

Hmmm, I'll give Gliscor a shot. I'm a bit iffy about that 1 Fighting Energy, since I'll have to think of a way on how to work with getting it in a pinch. I guess theoretically Twins can get it out for me, but I'll give it a shot to see how it works.

I was going to use it until I got Donphans. Don't get me wrong. Its my no means a sub for donphan but it can be just as effective. Plus it's attack cost are cheaper.

You've ruled out one of the best cards if not the best in the format because 'your buddy uses them'.

Close this thread now please we don't need things like this cluttering up the place.

Not having the cards at his disposal? Wanting to try something different/experiment?

Oh my, those are such terribad reasons

You've ruled out one of the best cards if not the best in the format because 'your buddy uses them'.

Close this thread now please we don't need things like this cluttering up the place.

So, its wrong to want to try something other than card normally used for this????

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post

Last edited:
might want to consider the durant coming in the next set, like KGL it mills the deck.

since your running water theres also the sheer cold beartic for attack denial and the upcoming kyurem for spread.

Unfortunately there champ, some of us have to play TCG on a budget. I mean, I wish I could buy more Donphans, but eating and living expenses sort of takes a priority here. So instead of dooming myself to 'man, I might as well roll over every time I face up against a Magnezone', I thought maybe I could ask the community to see if they have any interesting ideas that I might not see.

Thanks for the empathy.

---------- Post added 09/02/2011 at 03:29 AM ----------

might want to consider the durant coming in the next set, like KGL it mills the deck.

since your running water theres also the sheer cold beartic for attack denial and the upcoming kyurem for spread.

I'm sort of running / hoping on Kyurem at this state. I'm interested in trying out Beartic to see how it runs - I've tried it out a bit, but it seems switch just puts me at square one all over again, so Beartic's lethality is sort of shot down without Vileplume, and I'm a bit apprehensive about cramming in 2 Stage 2s, 1 Stage 1 and a LEGEND and expect it to function.

Maybe SEL over Blastoise? You won't have to worry about any Squirtle starts, or getting Catchered before you get it ready to attack. Plus it has a better HP, attack cost, and retreat cost. I know it's a Legend and all, but it may be even easier to get out as all you will need is the two pieces and 3 waters versus Squirtle (preferably 2), candy, Blastoise, and 4 waters..... Still, being a Legend means two prizes instead of one, which doesn't help much with your orginal problem.....

There's always Zoroark to revenge it.

Last edited:
Tried out Krookodile in a 2-1-2 line, with no fighting energies. Tested 6 matches, faced against Magnezone twice - both times faced a Switch, but burned 3 energy the first game and 2 energy the second game. Maybe I'll add in Defender to see how it works.

---

I'll try out Beartic and Kyurem when I get the time.
Posted with Mobile style...

Wow... Well R.I.P. creative deckbuilding, thinking outside the box, etc. Believe it or not, there are actually some good cards outside the ones in the meta. Reuniclus wasn't meta before worlds, but then Ross got a little creative and look where he ended up.

@OP: I do think Gliscor is a good counter, but I fail to see how Blastoise is a counter. It takes less effort for them to get ou a Magnezone then for you to get out a Blastoise and Magnezone ohkos whereas Blastoise 2hkos. Outside of Gliscor there isn't really that much though... The Gliscor is much more effective with Judge of course, but that might be a hefty investment.

Zoroark is the king of revenge. He'll rev kill magnezone, reshirams, zekroms, rdl,+ many others. If budget is the deciding factor, zoroark is probably the best call. The gliscor might be good, but zoroark doesn't require a change to ur nrg base.

Wow... Well R.I.P. creative deckbuilding, thinking outside the box, etc. Believe it or not, there are actually some good cards outside the ones in the meta. Reuniclus wasn't meta before worlds, but then Ross got a little creative and look where he ended up.

@OP: I do think Gliscor is a good counter, but I fail to see how Blastoise is a counter. It takes less effort for them to get ou a Magnezone then for you to get out a Blastoise and Magnezone ohkos whereas Blastoise 2hkos. Outside of Gliscor there isn't really that much though... The Gliscor is much more effective with Judge of course, but that might be a hefty investment.

It wasn't a good counter. That's why I'm looking for another one :|

Blast generally gave me a flexible board control, so as long as I dropped one Hydro Launcher (which gave me back two of my energies anyhow), then 1-2 Mega Tidal Waves usually netted me around 4-5 prize cards. Most people think I play BlastGatr until I drop down KGL. So, yeah Blastoise wasn't a Magnezone counter, but Wash Out + KGL usually netted me enough energy control to kill everything else.

---------- Post added 09/02/2011 at 10:00 AM ----------

Zoroark is the king of revenge. He'll rev kill magnezone, reshirams, zekroms, rdl,+ many others. If budget is the deciding factor, zoroark is probably the best call. The gliscor might be good, but zoroark doesn't require a change to ur nrg base.

Hmm, I didn't think of Zoroark, actually. I'll give him a shot.

Back