Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Effects of attacks: When?

Mr. Grass

I know I've been told that some of my old questions are still being asked, and most of them I think are pretty much settled or relatively minor, but I think this one is important. I shortened my referrences a bit since you can just check the next page ofr all the rulings I quote. Anyways, here it is.

Q. Considering the wording of Pelipper's "Swallow" attack, does the damage on Pelipper get removed BEFORE or AFTER Claw Fossil's "Jagged Stone" Poke-Body damages Pelipper? Jagged Stone places 1 damage counter on Pelipper as a result of Pelipper's attack, then the text of Swallow says to remove damage counters AFTER the attack (implying that the attack has been completely resolved).
A. The language used for Swallow is over-specific. The process at the end of the attack: Do damage; next, do the rest of the Attacking Pokemon's effects; lastly, do any of the Defending Pokemon's effects. So in this case, Pelipper's Swallow removes damage counters FIRST (if any), and then Claw Fossil's "Jagged Stone" kicks in afterward. (Oct 30, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

And here is one of the old rulings that seems to contradict the above.

Q. If an Alakazam uses Teleport Blast and goes to the bench, while Knocking Out the opponent's Active Dark Gyarados, do you use Dark Gyarados' Pokémon Power on Dark Alakazam or your new Active Pokémon?
A. Damage is done BEFORE you switch Dark Alakazam back to the bench. So you would resolve the Knock Out effects BEFORE you Bench the Dark Alakazam. (May 4, 2000 WotC Chat, Q15)

So are all the old rulings completely reversed now? You do all the attacking effects and then the defending effects?

Back