Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Eight extra invites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus_Ex_Machina

On Sunday, I was told that the Masters age group was awarded with eight extra invitations to worlds; the top 16 specifically. why was this done? what about the other age groups

discuss.

Here is why I understand they gave out invites to the T16 for Masters.

Masters had 2 seperate flights and they were no suppose to cross until the finals. However due to a computer mishap they got paired to players they were not suppose to play. Therefore it was determined because they may have done differently if they played against the correct opponents to just give all of the T16 invites. Imagine if you have a favorable matchup in T16 and then the pairings get messed up for some reason and you play a deck that your have a horrible matchup to. I can promise you would be upset and want to alteast get an invite.

That maybe wrong but that is my understanding of why it happened.

Drew

They made a mistake, they owned up to it and made up for it in the right way. Give them some credit and I don't really want to see anything about it being "unfair".

It was the RIGHT thing to do! Nobody can claim that PUI doesnt listen to its players. A T64 (when the cap of 512 is broken) and the 2 flights were a good move too. Saved the players and the judge team at least 1 to 1 1/2 hrs saturday night!

PUI FTW!!

Pete, Dave and Mike rocked it out HARD this week and it showed in a fantastic tourney. Thx for letting me be a part of the team!

Keith

Amen. I'm curious though- was there no glitch at all with the t32 pairings? Not that I'm complaining at all if there was one.

It is fair, maybe a little fortunate but still fair. Someone missing out because of an incorrect pairing, now that would have been unfair under any circumstances but especially so given the distance some of these people may have had to travel and the extent of what was at stake. Something similar happened at Worlds where an extra place was given out after an error in assigning age groups or something alone those lines, I don't remember exactly what happened.

From what i was told there was no glitch in the top 64, top 32, but when the top 16 pairing were made TOM paired very randomly, is possibly the best way to explain it lol. Well i'm not upset becasue i got the invite, but it was probaly the best solution instead of trying to fix the pairings and make us play again, and then slow down the other groups to have us all at the same top cut at the same time.

There was nothing "unfair" about it. It was a great decision.

I heard that what they did was took 1-16 from Blue and 1-16 from Yellow and just made them 1-32 (where #1 was #1
from Blue and #17 was #1 from Yellow,) resulting in #1Blue playing #16Yellow and #16Blue playing #1 Yellow.

Seems like a good plan until the 2nd round where, if the rankings hold, you have #1 Blue playing #1 Yellow.

If that's really what happened, I'm not sure how you don't see that coming.

But what they did was fantastic and really the only fair thing.

Wont this make there be a different number of players in worlds in masters than there are in seniors and juniors? While the circumstance for giving everyone in top 16 may have been fair, I don't see how they can find a fair solution to remedy the 8 extra players in the tournament.

it isn't unusual for the number of players in the three age groups to be different at worlds. True it is usually only one or two difference, but there is no rule that the age groups have to be exactly the same size.

It was true class. And I'm sure it was a real learning experience running flights and then combining them. Hats off to all for trying to do the best for the players and admitting to an error when one happened.

what had happened is the T32 was the combination of the 2 T16's, being manually paired so the bracket would be correct. Then the T16 happened and the computer decided to divide by 0.

The rest of the tournament was good from a software pov.

to give the extra 8 invites seems the only fair thing to do.

The masters division will NOT lose the guaranteed LCQ slots, but the first 8 slots that would of come from people not coming, would go to those 8 first. So in theory if everybody comes, Masters will have 8 extra players in worlds.

I also enjoyed working with the staff this year, and i hope i get chosen to help next year!!!

~Duke

There was nothing "unfair" about it. It was a great decision.

I heard that what they did was took 1-16 from Blue and 1-16 from Yellow and just made them 1-32 (where #1 was #1
from Blue and #17 was #1 from Yellow,) resulting in #1Blue playing #16Yellow and #16Blue playing #1 Yellow.

Seems like a good plan until the 2nd round where, if the rankings hold, you have #1 Blue playing #1 Yellow.

If that's really what happened, I'm not sure how you don't see that coming.

But what they did was fantastic and really the only fair thing.

Not quite right.

We lined up the two T16s, and Blue #1 played Yellow #16, Yellow #1 played Blue #16, and so on. What the heck happened with round two is beyond me, but delaying the tournament an unknown amount of time was not possible, and, we believed that our solution was best for all involved.

Blue #1 and Yellow #1 would not be able to be paired in that scenario until the finals.

Thanks,
Prof Dav

Not quite right.

We lined up the two T16s, and Blue #1 played Yellow #16, Yellow #1 played Blue #16, and so on. What the heck happened with round two is beyond me, but delaying the tournament an unknown amount of time was not possible, and, we believed that our solution was best for all involved.

Blue #1 and Yellow #1 would not be able to be paired in that scenario until the finals.

Thanks,
Prof Dav

Hats of to you and everyone at Nationals. From what I heard the biggest tournament in the History of pokemon-TCG went of extremely smoothly. Congratulations to everyone involved you all did an awesome job. The computer glitch was unfortunate, but once it was discovered, the remedy for the situation was 1000% correct. Giving the entire Masters Top 16 invites was an outstanding idea. They were all well deserving player who all belong in this years World Championships. The Top 64 cut (Two flights of T32) was also another fantastic idea, as it allowed players who may have had a tough loss or two, but still had a fantastic day, (6-3 is a good performance) the chance to continue in the event. And the fact that both #32 seeds at 6-3 beat both #1 seeds at 9-0 shows just how tough a field was around at this years Nationals.
The idea to give prizes to everyone who top cut was also extremely Generous.

Thank you POP/PUI and all the Judges and staff for doing such an outstanding job this year. It looks like you will have a very, very difficult time topping yourself in Next years National Championship. Bravo!!

Hats of to you and everyone at Nationals. From what I heard the biggest tournament in the History of pokemon-TCG went of extremely smoothly. Congratulations to everyone involved you all did an awesome job. The computer glitch was unfortunate, but once it was discovered, the remedy for the situation was 1000% correct. Giving the entire Masters Top 16 invites was an outstanding idea. They were all well deserving player who all belong in this years World Championships. The Top 64 cut (Two flights of T32) was also another fantastic idea, as it allowed players who may have had a tough loss or two, but still had a fantastic day, (6-3 is a good performance) the chance to continue in the event. And the fact that both #32 seeds at 6-3 beat both #1 seeds at 9-0 shows just how tough a field was around at this years Nationals.

Thank you POP/PUI and all the Judges and staff for doing such an outstanding job this year. It looks like you will have a very, very difficult time topping yourself in Next years National Championship. Bravo!!

I would have to agree with this statement. WTG POP/PUI on this event. :thumb:

Drew

I agree with this too. An excellent decision made by POP/PUI. :thumb::biggrin::smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back