Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Energy Stadium

I think I get the idea of this card, but the wording is unclear.

Players already attach up to one Energy per turn. All other Energy attachment comes from abilities, attacks and trainers. I'd write it:

Neither player can use attacks, Abilities or Trainers to attach Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play.

That said, if it's designed to be played in the current format (against Eels, Blastoise and Colress Machine), I think it's too restrictive against too many cards for a Stadium.

Players already attach up to one Energy per turn. All other Energy attachment comes from abilities, attacks and trainers. I'd write it:

Neither player can use attacks, Abilities or Trainers to attach Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play.

That said, if it's designed to be played in the current format (against Eels, Blastoise and Colress Machine), I think it's too restrictive against too many cards for a Stadium.

But that significantly changes the effect of the card...

Thanks for the feedback.

The way you wrote it changes the card though, Energy Stadium doesn't stop players from using attacks/Abilities/Trainers to attach Energy, it just makes it so players can only attach 1 Energy per turn total, whether it be from the hand/attacks/Abilities/Trainers/etc.

'
But that significantly changes the effect of the card...

Well, you are the professor so you should know the interpretations of wordings inside out and I have no reason to doubt if you say that. But just for the sake of my learning, what is this 'etc.' wolf was referring to? What exactly would change?

The only things I can think of, other than abilities, trainers and attacks that attack energy from discard pile, deck or hand are:
- Pokémon Power, Poké-Power, Poké-Body (not in format)
- Attaching Energy from one Pokémon to another (assumed not to be the intended use, and the current wording makes it
- Attaching Energy from your prizes or lost zone? (no such effects in the format)
- An Ability that has a constant effect like: "You may attach two Energy each turn instead of one" (again, none in the format)

So, none of those count.

And other thing is, between energy acceleration and the stadium, how do you know which one has priority with the current wording? You could say it's common sense considering the intended rules, but there's no material that tells the intended use, it's all assumption. The point of the wording I chose is to state its interactions with other cards consistently.

Edit: Yeah, I overlooked the obvious thing that if you don't have any Energy to attach or if you prefer to use other methods to attach it because of effects like Electromagnetic Wall or Frozen City.

New wording:

If either player attaches an Energy from their hand to one of their Pokémon or uses an Ability or Trainer to attach an Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play, he or she can no longer use attacks, Abilities or Trainers to attach Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play until the end of that turn. If player uses an Ability or Trainer to attach an Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play, he or she can no longer attach an Energy from his or her hand to any Pokémon in play until the end of that turn. All attacks, Abilities and Trainers that attach more than one Energy from a player's discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play may only attach up to one Energy per turn.

Last edited:
Or, more simply:

Each time an Energy card is attached to a pokémon from any source except another pokémon, return that Energy card whence it came. Ignore this effect the first time it would be triggered during each turn.

Returning the Energy card rather than prohibiting its attachment is technically not the same effect, but the end result is the same, and you don't need a big list of things you're no longer allowed to do. Also note the wording "Energy card" (rather than just Energy); it doesn't make a difference in my wording, but the original wording would also prohibit DCE (and psychic Energy with Gardevoir present), which I doubt was the intention. It can help to be aware of this distinction :)

You figured it out - If you want to forgo your manual attach and say, Dynamotor, your wording would prevent that.

The only thing that needs to change is 'Energy Card' instead of 'Energy'. You're still attaching energy, regardless of where it comes from or how it gets there. Look at the wording of cards that attach energy - Check Colress Machine, Elecktrik, and Blastoise.

If either player attaches an Energy from their hand to one of their Pokémon or uses an Ability or Trainer to attach an Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play, he or she can no longer use attacks, Abilities or Trainers to attach Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play until the end of that turn. If player uses an Ability or Trainer to attach an Energy from their discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play, he or she can no longer attach an Energy from his or her hand to any Pokémon in play until the end of that turn. All attacks, Abilities and Trainers that attach more than one Energy from a player's discard pile, hand or deck to any Pokémon in play may only attach up to one Energy per turn.

If indeed I am reading this right, that's one way of wording Energy Stadium.

Or, more simply:

Each time an Energy card is attached to a pokémon from any source except another pokémon, return that Energy card whence it came. Ignore this effect the first time it would be triggered during each turn.

This works too, with this wording you could also, say, waste some Dark Patches to empty your hand for Bianca as well.

Also note the wording "Energy card" (rather than just Energy); it doesn't make a difference in my wording, but the original wording would also prohibit DCE (and psychic Energy with Gardevoir present), which I doubt was the intention. It can help to be aware of this distinction :)

"Energy card" was in fact my original intention, thanks. :)

Back