Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

European National Championships

Please, post dates and format, expecially if BW cards are allowed or not.

Italy - 28-29 may 2011 - Format: TBA (Actually, we don't know if BW allowed)

UK: Sunday May 29th Wicksteed park Kettering. (same venue as last year)

MD-COL using September 2010 rules.

No B&W cards allowed. The changes for B&W announced in the theme decks will not be implemented.

[del](B&W allowed unless an edict from above says not, B&W rules to be observed unless there is an edict from above)[/del] changed due to new information from above.

Last edited:
UK: Sunday May 29th (B&W allowed unless an edict from above says not, B&W rules to be observed unless there is an edict from above)

Wait, so the BW rules (TSS turn one of the game) will be allowed until further notice then?

Scrap that, read the above and confirms a greater Nationals format. Thanks Ian.

Last edited:
EDITED:

Danish nats: 11-12 june. BW card NOT allowed (and neither the BW rules)

Last edited:
You wouldn't be able to play in their Nationals unless you're a French citizen.

Do you have a link to this rule? I heard that non-French citizens could enter but could not win worlds invites etc. I also spoke to someone who claims to have entered a few European nationals other than UK

Switzerland 11th June
NO B&W ALLOWED

This sound plain wrong to me, if the format includes B&W it should be allowed.
Same goes for the new rules, at the date they are into effect (which should be april 25) you have to use them, no matter if you like it or not.

This sound plain wrong to me, if the format includes B&W it should be allowed.
Same goes for the new rules, at the date they are into effect (which should be april 25) you have to use them, no matter if you like it or not.

I have to disagree with this. We have our Nats 12 days after B&W is officially released and we still don't have the set or the rules. We usually have the new set in stores 1-3 weeks after the official release date because our LD is slow. We can never guarantee if we get the set in time. So if BW would be legar in our Nats it would set the people who order boxes outside of Finland in advantage compared to players who buy boosters only from Finland and that's simply wrong.

If the situation in Switzerland is the same, I can fully understand their decision.

I have to disagree with this. We have our Nats 12 days after B&W is officially released and we still don't have the set or the rules. We usually have the new set in stores 1-3 weeks after the official release date because our LD is slow. We can never guarantee if we get the set in time. So if BW would be legar in our Nats it would set the people who order boxes outside of Finland in advantage compared to players who buy boosters only from Finland and that's simply wrong.

If the situation in Switzerland is the same, I can fully understand their decision.

Even if the LD in Switzerland are slow like in Finland and the rest of Scandinavia. The 11th of June is a long time after the official release, so B&W should be allowed, right?
Denmark has nationals the same day as Switzerland and even with our slow distributor we are gonna play with B&W. (At least thats what I know)

The rules are out there, those are released last week.
And we have been in such position (having only 2 weeks after a set was released) and playing Nationals and it wasn't a big deal.
But I agree it's very short notice.
I can understand the NO B&W cards/rules for a Nationals on may 7, it sounds like the best option.
But still were is the point/date to have the rules/cards in progress?
I never liked it giving LD's the freedom to "work around" the format, most of all during any Nationals.
Nationals earns you an invite for worlds and I still believe winning a Nationals should be in the same format as what you will use at worlds. (but I can be wrong)

Each LD knows the releasedates of upcoming sets (way before we do) so planning a Nationals so close to a releasedate should ring a bell.
Slow LD's are most times LD's who are not willing to pay a little more for shipping to get their stuff on time.

As for Switzerland, come on they have 6 weeks, time enough.

Dutch Nationals are on June 18/19 and nothing else is known/announced yet, only the date.

Last edited:
The thing is that we are not allowed to play cards if they have not been translated to the national languages aka french, german and italian. It's been this way all season long already. We've played one set late every tournament series. For example, States without Call of Legends, Cities without Triumphant.

It's really a bad and stupid protectionism policy by our LD. We're the only country in the World outside Japan that had a different format for the whole season. And now again, it will be the same for Nationals.

Even if the set comes out 1 week before Nats, the delay would be too short to allow Black and White and our LD would still not allow it.

But i can't really complain cause we had an amazing season with loads of tournaments, real prizes and shipped on time, a better communication even if not perfect and all in all, i think our LD did put some effort into the game. The only questionnable decision was this no english cards rule if the set has not been translated yet.

So what Einstein said seemed correct to me and we won't have Black and White for our Nats

We can play everything in germany. They just decide to not allow the latest set for nats if the set just got released as it would be unfair cause you wouldnt have time to get the cards.

The rules are out there, those are released last week.
And we have been in such position (having only 2 weeks after a set was released) and playing Nationals and it wasn't a big deal.
But I agree it's very short notice.
I can understand the NO B&W cards/rules for a Nationals on may 7, it sounds like the best option.
But still were is the point/date to have the rules/cards in progress?
I never liked it giving LD's the freedom to "work around" the format, most of all during any Nationals.
Nationals earns you an invite for worlds and I still believe winning a Nationals should be in the same format as what you will use at worlds. (but I can be wrong)

Each LD knows the releasedates of upcoming sets (way before we do) so planning a Nationals so close to a releasedate should ring a bell.
Slow LD's are most times LD's who are not willing to pay a little more for shipping to get their stuff on time.

As for Switzerland, come on they have 6 weeks, time enough.

Dutch Nationals are on June 18/19 and nothing else is known/announced yet, only the date.
B/W is allowed. On the section with allowed sets B/W is there :(
EDIT: Nvm, looked at the Battle Roads page.

Back