Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ew, who even dares to play Garchomp in Nationals? It's so bad (Nats report)

ShadowTogetic

So Wednesday morning, I got up, and waited for my bro to drive me to the airport. After missing the sign like 9001 times, I finally made it, though our flight wasn't till the afternoon. Bolt arrived, and we waited till our flight arrived. Plane comes, we board, and off to Ohio. Arrived to the airport, a friend drove us to the convention center. Got our badges, walked around, ate dinner with Mystery Thing in Max and Erma's (re-peach haha) then just loafed around in the hotel.

Thursday, instead of playing in side events, I spent the day in the exhibition hall buying random stuff. Had dinner at Buca's with people, and quickly headed back to the hotel due to the sky looking gloomy.

Friday, didn't play in side events again.

Saturday, Nats with Garchomp

Round 1
A mom - Empoleon
I drew the most horrid start ever. A Baltoy with 6 trainers in hand. Didn't draw into Gible until turn 6 or something like that. She had her Claydol but it was active so it was stuck there while she couldn't spread damage. Miraculously, I somehow got my Garchomp out. When she got the X, I was hoping she'd forget to use the power. With my Garchomp dealing a lot of damage each turn, she couldn't win.
1-0

Round 2
Nick K. - Empoleon
Both Baltoys were prized, and he kept hitting me with Wager, though I kept winning the wager. I couldn't draw into 3 PlusPowers for me to kill the X.
1-1

Round 3
Clay C. - Empoleon
Close game, I had no trouble killing the Empoleons, and Glaceon flips weren't going his way for the beginning of the game. However, due to getting 3 Tails on Dragon Pulse, and him getting the heads on Agility, I couldn't take the last prize.
1-2

Round 4
Some Naruto weeaboo - GardyGallade
I got setup quickly using Rotom, AND using it to kill both his Baltoys (I'm so bad). He couldn't come back from my Garchomp one shotting whatever he has.
2-2

Round 5
Some guy - Sausage
He opened with way too many Cess Crystals, and I had Pachi out (Who plays Pachi?!) so I had no problem picking his Cess Crystals out. After getting 1 Heads on Dragon Pulse, I had a regular Chomp to kill a Banette. Despite the fact I attached a Fighting to Claydol, he for some reason plays a Lake to kill my Chomp with Bliss. Next turn, attach Lightning, PlusPower twice, Spinning Attack. He had no way to come back right after.
3-2

Round 6
Cory Goff - Electivire/Gardy
I misplayed by playing the Beach, forgetting what the X did. Without a turn to attack, I couldn't come back.
3-3

Round 7
Some guy - Garchomp/Togekiss
Ugh Togekiss. Who plays that? That card is so horrible. I got my setup quickly, and he kept whiffing on the Garchomp so I had my X do all the work while building up a second Garchomp. Using my second Chomp to attack, he managed to do damage with Togekiss. After one shotting it, he finally managed to pull out a full HP Chomp, but after I attached 2 PlusPowers and a Strength Charm to my X, he just scooped.
4-3

Round 8
A mom - Ralts deck
I just saw Ralts while I had 2 fully loaded Garchomps out.
5-3

Round 9
Some guy - Sausage
Like the Round 5 guy, he opened with too many Cess Crystals. He managed to attach 2 but I got my Pachi to look into his hand and outplayed him. Again, without the Cess, my Chomp did way too much damage to whatever he sent out.
6-3

Standings posted, I come 61st with a 47.99% resistance. Ugh, I'm so bad.

Props
Garchomp for doing so much damage
Everybody at Nats
The people who gave Bolt and I rides
Mongolian Barbecue
Buca's
Max and Erma's
Matt Chin

Slops
Not making the cut AGAIN
Getting 3 tails with Dragon Pulse in 4 games

Last edited by a moderator:
It was nice chatting with you at Nationals. Too bad you didn't make top cut once again. I hope you can make it to Worlds and we can hang out again. It was fun having dinner at Mongolian Barbecue.

6-3 is still inpressive. u won twice as many u lost. thats good. its too bad u got 61st. cya at worlds if u go!

In the Masters' division, you've had the best record at nationals (combined, last two years), that being 13-5, to miss the cut BOTH times. Better luck next year? lol sorry for pointing that out, though you probably already knew it.

Paul: I know, I'm so bad at it. I'm going to need your Piplup in Florida.
Alex: Thanks, but I'm horrible at this game
Aaron: Thanks, I could've probably went 7-2 if I didn't get constant triple tails.
Char: Thanks, I checked the standings, and was surprised to see all my opponents I lost to went 5-4 =/
Michael: I'll be in Florida =D
Chris: ILU too. Time to take down worlds
Apache: Thanks. Who are you, by the way?
Brian: You really do, I'm such a horrible hero
Nick: I know, I'm just that terrible
Aziz: Garchomp was so the play. Could've gone better if not for horrible (mis?)plays

Matt: Is Garchomp even a Pokemon?
edwarpy: NO. Togekiss is a horrible card. Garchomp is better without it
Dan: Thanks. No one expected me to use Chompy

Back