Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fakes make me angry.

GameStoreGrump

I run a game store, and I've recently started taking in trades on Pokemon collections.

Yesterday, I had a kid trade in his collection and I had to tell him that literally half of his entire collection was fake. They were the convincing fakes, but fake nonetheless.

I wondered how so many fakes came into circulation in my area. Simple, one of my competitor stores was selling them like they were the actual cards. He's out of business now, so there's nothing I can do. It just breaks my heart to tell kids that either their cards are worthless, or they can't use them in league.

Just as a note, here's what I've pulled out of circulation in my area. At least 10 boxes worth of still in package fakes, and well over 10,000 fake singles. It upsets me how much one bad store selling bad cards can saturate the market.

[/rant]

People like that make me unhappy. I ran into a kid at league the other day who was really proud of his Garchomp C Lv.X. I felt really bad, but I had to tell him that it wasn't real. =/

That stinks dude.

Made me angry too... reminds me of the time I saw an 800 HP Gengar X on eBay. Ridiculous, I tell you!

A long way back when I was into yugioh, I could tell the difference between a real and a fake, this one kid comes up to me with a fake winged dragon of ra.

"Hey, dude check this out!"

"Thats fake, you know that, right?"

"It's not fake, because I made it myself!" :/

Fakes don't make me angry.

They make me sad.

One of the hardest things in the world for me is to check a newbie's deck and have to tell them that they can't play in my event because their deck is fake. The look on these kids faces... You'd think you just killed their puppy or something like that. It's one of the most awful feelings a TO or a Judge can have at a tournament...

There was a fake lucario x some kid brought into league once. It was completely convincing except for the fact that it read....

Place Lucario Level X onto your active Gengar. Lucario can use any attack, pokepower, or pokebody from it's previous stage.

Someone showed me a fake card with a picture that had a psyduck and a bulbasaur, ehm, having fun. I think someone in taiwan is rather bored lol. Anway, Id always have a box of commons around for a case like this one, the fakes are rather cheap so if you give the kid a stack of other cards it might be ok. And I someone really wonder about the parents, some of these cards are such terrible obvious fakes even someone who knows nothing about this game should be able to tell.

No matter how obvious they may seem to us, it still takes some knowledge of what a card SHOULD look and sound like to pick out that they're really fake, and at the very least you have to study it a little. But if you know nothing about the game what business do you have studying their cards?...

I know a lot of kids whose parents have bought them fake cards.

It's fine for us to say fakes are obvious and that they should get informed but honestly, most of them have no clue whatsoever and are just happy to get their kid a load of cheap cards. It's not until the kid discovers league and/or tournaments that they even find out that fakes exist.

If you are just spending £5 on something for a kid from a market stall, you aren't going to spend time researching it on the internet first are you?

But a lot of parents won't even LOOK at the cards. They give them to the kid and the kid is happy (and quiet) right up until they go to League.

They don't know that a real Uxie X doesn't have a yellow border. Hell, they don't even know that Blastoise isn't supposed to have 25,000 HP and an attack that does 17,530 damage for no Energy.

They don't know that a real Uxie X doesn't have a yellow border. Hell, they don't even know that Blastoise isn't supposed to have 25,000 HP and an attack that does 17,530 damage for no Energy.

Or that Lucario doesn't level up from Gengar :p

I enjoy funny fakes, but when you're trying to sell them and tell people they're real, then there's a problem.

People like that make me unhappy. I ran into a kid at league the other day who was really proud of his Garchomp C Lv.X. I felt really bad, but I had to tell him that it wasn't real. =/

While it's bad he got ripped off in not getting the real thing, why deprive him of his pride in the card? Tell him it's real, but to still love it lol.

I got a bunch of cards that were fake over craigslist once. The lot only cost me about $5, but almost all 50 cards were fake.
I use them as fire starters. :)
I also hate when you're looking on eBay and you come across a yellow-bordered Lv.X card or something along those lines.
Makes me sad, especially when I see that someone has bid on them.

Out of all the cards I own, my very favourite is this awesome fake

Don't even bother PMing me - it's not for sale.

I actually have that same card. :lol: A few years ago I traded someone for 20 cards from that "set". And all of them are as badly writen as yours. I have Flying Mantis (Scyther), which evolves from Bellsprout. Kekdra (Aron) that has Strike and Mysterious Talisman. Compound-Eye Moth (Dustox) that evolves from Purple Pupa and has Bubble, Harden and Poisonous Fog. And my favorite, Kerato Empress, which evolves from Kelly and has Kiss of Death and Black Eye Expression, Thin Snow. I'll post pictures of them some time.

Mine came in a 'theme deck' style pack that I got in a market in Lanzarote for something like 5 Euros. They were really cheap and worth the money just to laugh at the names.

Back