Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars
I noticed we had a "Favorite Manga" thread, but I'm more partial for Anime... so I'm starting this thread! No spoilers, please!

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha- MGLN is composed of three (soon to be four) series anime: MGLN, MGLN A's (A's=Aces), and MGLN StrikerS. MGLN and A's are both 13 respectively while StrikerS is 26. The genre is Magical Girl, but I have heard it is more of a shonen anime than a shojo. Either way, I enjoyed it throughly. If you are planning on watching the anime, I suggest watching at least the first four episodes of the first series before you write the anime off. The plot is great and character development is also great.

Black Cat- BC is a really interesting anime... It has a grand total of 23 episodes and one special (If you buy the DVD Series, it will say 24 episodes. However, the special is incorperated into those episodes and it flows perfectly). I will say it is different from the manga in certain respects, but it is still really good. Genre would most likely be Adventure.

Beyblade- BB is composed of 5 series, but it is split into two different areas. The first three (the originals) are Beyblade, Beyblade VForce, and Beyblade GRevolution (Bakuten Shoot Beyblade, Bakuten Shoot Beyblade 2002, and Bakuten Shoot Beyblade G Revolution in Japanese). And the final two are Metal Fight Beyblade and Metal Fight Beyblade Explosion (MFBE is currently being aired in Japan; both series have yet to be released to America/dubbed). The Original Beyblade Series has the same main characters, but each series has its own plotline in one way or another. Character development is interesting as well as the plot. The Newer Two Beyblade Series I cannot comment on because I haven't been seen them yet.

Cardcaptor Sakura- CCS was dubbed many years ago. However, only the first season of CCS ever aired in America (which I would assume approx. 30 episodes). It has a grand total of 70 episodes as well as two movies. Plot line is really good and character development is decent. Genre is Magical Girl.

These are just a few to name off.

A really good website for keeping track of anime is MyAnimeList.net; it keeps track of anime in your own list and you can search for other anime to watch as well. It includes when the anime began and ended as well as how many episodes there are (unless the anime is airing). MAL is also good for keeping track of Manga as it also has a Manga List available.

What other Anime woudl you recommend/are your favorites?

Bleach -- This is the only one that I'm current on. The animation brings the manga to life, the filler is at worst reasonable and at best equal to the main, and the characters are engaging at worst. Watch in Japanese.

Code Geass -- Yes. This is the perfect mech anime. Brilliant from start to finish. R2 has some plot holes, but the Zero Re:quiem is interesting, and Lulu is just an amazing character.

Haruhi Suzumiya -- Yes. Watch this in Release Order (not necessarily timeline order) for the biggest mindblow of all time. And make sure you watch it with friends. It can get really silly, but even the silliness is perfect at times.

Yakitate!!! Japan -- Pun-y in the best possible way. Anything that can spoof LOTR and DBZ in the same episode is seriously worth watching. And that's one of the *NORMAL* episodes!

My list might get a little lengthy so here goes.

Bullados already mentioned Code Geass. I don't think its perfect from start to finish, but it definitely has its moments and stands out among many kinds of anime not just mecha.

Gurren Lagann: This show is just made of so much win. The characters, the insane designs, the plot, and just about everything come together to make an awesome story that's so incredibly ridiculous that it all culminates in one of the most spectacular and large scale final episodes in any anime show ever. This is one of those anime shows you need to see.

Gundam: I am a huge Gundam fan. I know Gundam can get a little confusing since it has about 6 different time lines that all have no connections to each other and then separate shows within each timeline with sequels, prequels and everything inbetween. You have a wide variety from ultra gritty like Zeta Gundam and Victory Gundam to Super Robot with G Gundam. Its done a lot and the franchise has held its longevity like Star Wars has here in the states. I'd recommend Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, and maybe the 08th MS Team for anyone who wants to see what Gundam is like. The problem is though that so much of it is different that its hard to find a connecting line sometimes.

Macross Frontier: Most people will recognize Macross from Robotech, but that show was originally brought over here to the States and used in a crazyness called Robotech. Macross in Japan is pretty big and with its transformable mecha its just awesome. Seeing fighter jets transform and fire dizzying arrays of missiles all while a Pop Idol songstress sings a rocking melody is the staple for just about every battle in this show. Anyone can watch this and love it for its humor, romance, action, or music. Another definite anime must watch.

Here is my list, I don't have the time to post full descriptions but CHECK THEM OUT AND GIVE THEM A CHANCE :D

Love Hina- First Anime a watched and i have watched it like 3 times

Gurren Lagann- Mentioned before but hands down like my 1st or 2nd favorite anime of all time :D

Chobits- What can i say? It has a good mix or Romance/Comedy/Drama and is one of the best done animes that i've watched.

Golden Boy- Very perverted so i can't say much but it is VERY funny and i would recommend it to anyone who is allowed to watch it.

Eureka 7- Amazing Amazing Amazing, i loved from start to finish :3

Many more but these are some of my top favorites...Oh and Pokemon Animu, Lulz i koolz nao? :D

Mai Otome: Fighting to it's best and great music, love the story line too.

Haibane Renmei: one of the most story line anime there is, there is little action, however there is a lot of story line and a lot to think about. And leaves the question what are the Haibane?

Serial Experiment Lain: gotta love this anime, overly confuzing and somewhat repetitive but I gotta love the episode "Kids", Lain is one insane girl when it comes to ruling the cyber world.

Pocket Monsters: I haven't watched the English version since Season 9 or so because I just don't have the will to get up Saturdays anymore.

My list might get a little lengthy so here goes.

Bullados already mentioned Code Geass. I don't think its perfect from start to finish, but it definitely has its moments and stands out among many kinds of anime not just mecha.

Gurren Lagann: This show is just made of so much win. The characters, the insane designs, the plot, and just about everything come together to make an awesome story that's so incredibly ridiculous that it all culminates in one of the most spectacular and large scale final episodes in any anime show ever. This is one of those anime shows you need to see.

Gundam: I am a huge Gundam fan. I know Gundam can get a little confusing since it has about 6 different time lines that all have no connections to each other and then separate shows within each timeline with sequels, prequels and everything inbetween. You have a wide variety from ultra gritty like Zeta Gundam and Victory Gundam to Super Robot with G Gundam. Its done a lot and the franchise has held its longevity like Star Wars has here in the states. I'd recommend Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, and maybe the 08th MS Team for anyone who wants to see what Gundam is like. The problem is though that so much of it is different that its hard to find a connecting line sometimes.

Macross Frontier: Most people will recognize Macross from Robotech, but that show was originally brought over here to the States and used in a crazyness called Robotech. Macross in Japan is pretty big and with its transformable mecha its just awesome. Seeing fighter jets transform and fire dizzying arrays of missiles all while a Pop Idol songstress sings a rocking melody is the staple for just about every battle in this show. Anyone can watch this and love it for its humor, romance, action, or music. Another definite anime must watch.

all that giant robot anime and you didn't mention full metal panic?

I'm still planning on watching it... I just been watching other anime... such as Yu-Gi-Oh! and Soul Eater... both of which are really good.

Read the manga afterward. As good as the anime is, the manga just blows it out of the water.

all that giant robot anime and you didn't mention full metal panic?
As good as Full Metal Panic! is its not as good as any of the ones I mentioned. In my opinion all the ones I mentioned are Tier 1 mecha anime shows. Full Metal Panic! is like tier 1.5. Its good and I love the show, but its not omg amazing. xD

Evangelion, Gundam Seed, Gundam 00. Need to finish off Cowboy Bebop still, and do want to check out Death Note.

Apparently I like the mecha ones. Although I'm biased towards Seed/Destiny because I know one of the VAs. Funimation needs to hurry up and localize Evangelion 2.0...

How cool! What V/A from SEED/Destiny do you know?

Oh and whoever read my post I forgot to mention to avoid Gundam SEED Destiny, but go for SEED just avoid its awful sequel!

Code geass is by far the best anime I have ever seen followed by gundam oo and death note
I also like bleach but there way to many bagillion episode filler archs

Gurren Lagann: This was just *drool*, I loved the story, characters and really just everything about it. Definately my favorite

Code Geass: Very entertaining for all of R1, and most of R2.

One Piece: It's pretty common, but I love the way everything is set up, right now the manga is at a bit of a stall with these flashbacks, but it'll lead to something very very nice in the end, so ima let it pass.

Last edited:
Naruto: great amimation, great story, almost everyone love this anime.

One piece: Awesome animstion, even better voice acting, and a great story.

Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood: good animation, Awesome voice acting, awesome story.

I reccomend all of these very highly.

I'm going to recycle some of my posts from MY "favorite anime" thread that died a while back:

Code Geass (and R2) ~ This show just exudes awesomeness. The mecha fights were unique, and the sheer tactical decisions were on par with the greatest minds in our world. I'm always a fan of strategy, and seeing it used so well greatly enhances my appreciation for the series. Another point I found that grounds this series in reality was the constant evolution of the mechas. Every few episodes, a new improvement was created, and used to the fullest by the characters, just like the normal evolution of weapons and skills.
Another attribute that Geass has can be the simple fact that it is not an American cartoon. You may think, what does that have to do with anything? Well, everything. Because its not American, they are not held to the same standards of entertainment American shows are. My point-in-case: Character deaths. How many American cartoons show main characters dying? Not any that come to mind. This doesn't mean that killing all of your favorites is a good path to take, but having some form of consequence in a series greatly enhances its depth and closeness to reality. Every time I rewatch Geass, I'm hit with the same emotions when one of the characters dies. The build up is genuine, and brings the same emotional response, no matter that I've seen in coming for miles now after 4 times watching it.
Those two are just some of the reasons I love Code Geass and R2. (and I was able to say all that without revealing WHO dies! :) ) But, to keep this from becoming a Geass thread:

Naruto (not Shippuden, pretty much up to episode 120-130) ~ Yes, that seems pretty typical to be a favorite of an American Anime lover, but I do have a soft spot for the Anime that re-introduced me to the genre. Naruto was truly my 'gateway drug' for anime. The show had great plot, and a gradually expanding cast that became more comfortable with each other in realistic time without losing its primary focus on the titular character. The political intrigue and backdrop to the series allowed one to simply slip into place as a viewer, learning about the Ninja world along with Naruto. Indeed, a great coming-of-age story ripe with emotional bonds that the characters build over 100 great episodes. Again, its probably a great introduction to Anime as a genre: the style and feel of Anime, without straying too far from traditional american archetypes.

Figured I'd add to our Sci-Fi/Mecha list...

Solty Rei: Never a manga, but it certainly is a really good anime. I guess it is sorta "mecha" but it is mostly sci-fi. 24 episodes long plus two OVA's that really have nothing to do with the plot whatsoever. It has a really good plot and solid characters as well as character development.

As to me and Code Geass....

I've seen all of R1 and found it really interesting once I got to episode 7. I've only seen the first few episodes of R2, but it seems to be interesting. Not sure if I'll like it as much as R1 though...

The whole point of Geass is you MUST watch it in chronological order. Its a linear series, meant to be watched episodes 1-25 R1, then 1-25 R2... Skipping around does not work with this show...

Back