Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Final Fantasy

toxictaipan

When I saw this thread, I remembered that I rented FFX a few years ago, and I got to nostalgia-ing real hard about it.

I've always loved RPGs and FF is pretty much the epitome of RPG games. I've decided I'm going to buy a Final Fantasy game soon, and was wondering which one to get. I have a PS2, Wii, X-Box (original), and DS. Not sure what all consoles it's on.

So, what are your recommendations? Which ones should I check out, and which ones should I avoid?

Thanks,
toxictaipan

Last edited:
Haven't played any of the 3D era ones yet (though I own 8, 9, and 12).

Of the 2D ones that I've played, I absolutely recommend all of them, but all for different reasons...

1ADV -- This is the beginning of story-based VGRPGs. Every RPG ever made since this has attributed at least some part of its gameplay to this game. It's probably the worst game in the entire series, but the worst of a fantastic franchise is still better than a lot of other games out there.

2ADV -- The first FF game with a solid and at least semi-original storyline with decent characterization and writing. The levelup system is an engaging attempt to avoid the standard level practice. Instead, you level each stat (including HP and MP) based on how you use it. It's altogether too easy to break this system, but it's a good attempt at something different.

3DS -- This is probably completely different from the original 3, but I really liked the complexity of this game. It's the first FF game to have multiple worlds, the first to go underwater, and the first to really use mountains as passage points. The story isn't bad either. Not to mention it's tough as nails as you can't buy Phoenix Downs to revive your characters. The Job system introduced here is used in many subsequent FFs as well.

4ADV -- This is my favorite game in the series. Rotating character roster, fantastic but simple levelup system, and a story that bests any others I've seen. Not to mention the 50 level Final Dungeon that you have to play through at least 3 times to pass and the introduction of *3* worlds this time around. And you can swap your characters and give them each a different "ultimate weapon". Oh yeah. Kain FTW.

4DS -- Same story, same gameplay, but the Final Dungeon and the swappable characters are sadly missing here. The new features are decent, but not enough to offset the losses.

5ADV -- Only played through this once, but it was a FUN once. The Job system is back and much more palatable this time around. The story is nothing earth shattering, but has some pretty fun moments (Faris). Unfortunately, there's much less sandbox action in this one, and the corridor is pretty darn long until the last 5 hours or so. Still, it's Final Fantasy, and it's a good game.

6ADV -- I don't like this game as much as others. The first half of the game is quite enjoyable, and Kefka's a donkey, but the second half was just a grind for me, and there was nothing really engaging about any of the storylines after the Big Kahuna event. I'd probably place this game in the middle of the pack, with the first half and Kefka really saving an otherwise very dull FF game.

Gimme another 3 years, and I'll form an opinion on a few more FFs...

Wow, thanks for that big post. Wasn't expecting anything that thorough.

One question, though. What's ADV stand for?

I am pretty sure that it means Advanced.

I like FFIV for DS if that tells you anything. Bullados has a pretty good explanation though.

I haven't played as many of them as others but I did try two on the PS2 and ended up returning them both. Not because they weren't good, they were....up to a point.

Invariably, I would run into something I considered completely ridiculous that I needed to do to advance the story, one in particular was having to, not only play, but win some strange underwater basketball-like weird game. I was enjoying it up until then but lost interest once I realized SE was serious that I would have to master this and win the game to advance the story. Sorry, if I wanted to play a sports game I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED A SPORTS GAME. It was this and some other thing that I can't remember in FF proper for the PS2 that bugged me.

I then tried some of the spinoffs, mostly Kingdom Hearts on the PS2 which I really enjoyed (the first one). I skipped KHCoM and got about 75% through KH2 before I lost interest. I enjoyed the new areas/characters but after awhile it felt like more of the same.

I tried FFIII for the DS but traded that in because I lost interest after seeing, to advance the story, I would have to shrink myself and my party down to get through this one level. I hate when SE thinks doing something besides what you purchased the game for adds "variety" and makes it "special." UGH Comes off more to me like cheap gimmicks to lengthen the game.

I will pick up (at some point) FFIV for the DS because I've heard it's vastly superior to III but I'm in no rush.

The game I am really, really (REALLY) enjoying is the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series for the DS (I don't have a Wii). It's straight forward, no "gimmicks" ala other FF games, with a fairly decent (good enough to keep my attention) story. It's a near perfect combination of dungeon crawling and platforming from a Final Fantasy perspective.

It's fun, and just deep enough to keep me interested and nearing completion of Ring of Fates after about 15 hours. Plus, there are bonuses if you play the game through again and I've found the world, characters, (even the music) to be pretty enjoyable.

Last edited:
Well since you played FFX, I suggest FFX-2. Only reason why is the battle system is great!
Other great JRPG games you might like.
Also I can let you barrow my copy of the first .hack// game.
PS2: .hack// series. (It is like a MMO, but does not require internet), The Persona Series is great, The Legend of Dragoon, FF9 was good to me, God Hand,

Wii:..................NO

DS: Chrono Trigger!
GBA: Golden Sun! Golden Sun the Lost Age! (Both are thought to be two of the best jrpgs for the GBA!!!) (3rd comign out in NOV)

Invariably, I would run into something I considered completely ridiculous that I needed to do to advance the story, one in particular was having to, not only play, but win some strange underwater basketball-like weird game. I was enjoying it up until then but lost interest once I realized SE was serious that I would have to master this and win the game to advance the story. Sorry, if I wanted to play a sports game I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED A SPORTS GAME. It was this and some other thing that I can't remember in FF proper for the PS2 that bugged me.

You don't have to win the blitzball game to progress through the story. If you loose you still move on.

Haven't played any of the 3D era ones yet (though I own 8, 9, and 12).

Of the 2D ones that I've played, I absolutely recommend all of them, but all for different reasons...

1ADV -- This is the beginning of story-based VGRPGs. Every RPG ever made since this has attributed at least some part of its gameplay to this game. It's probably the worst game in the entire series, but the worst of a fantastic franchise is still better than a lot of other games out there.

2ADV -- The first FF game with a solid and at least semi-original storyline with decent characterization and writing. The levelup system is an engaging attempt to avoid the standard level practice. Instead, you level each stat (including HP and MP) based on how you use it. It's altogether too easy to break this system, but it's a good attempt at something different.

3DS -- This is probably completely different from the original 3, but I really liked the complexity of this game. It's the first FF game to have multiple worlds, the first to go underwater, and the first to really use mountains as passage points. The story isn't bad either. Not to mention it's tough as nails as you can't buy Phoenix Downs to revive your characters. The Job system introduced here is used in many subsequent FFs as well.

4ADV -- This is my favorite game in the series. Rotating character roster, fantastic but simple levelup system, and a story that bests any others I've seen. Not to mention the 50 level Final Dungeon that you have to play through at least 3 times to pass and the introduction of *3* worlds this time around. And you can swap your characters and give them each a different "ultimate weapon". Oh yeah. Kain FTW.

4DS -- Same story, same gameplay, but the Final Dungeon and the swappable characters are sadly missing here. The new features are decent, but not enough to offset the losses.

5ADV -- Only played through this once, but it was a FUN once. The Job system is back and much more palatable this time around. The story is nothing earth shattering, but has some pretty fun moments (Faris). Unfortunately, there's much less sandbox action in this one, and the corridor is pretty darn long until the last 5 hours or so. Still, it's Final Fantasy, and it's a good game.

6ADV -- I don't like this game as much as others. The first half of the game is quite enjoyable, and Kefka's a donkey, but the second half was just a grind for me, and there was nothing really engaging about any of the storylines after the Big Kahuna event. I'd probably place this game in the middle of the pack, with the first half and Kefka really saving an otherwise very dull FF game.

Gimme another 3 years, and I'll form an opinion on a few more FFs...

Ryan, I can't believe you are saying that FF6 wasn't the best of all the Final Fantasy games, especially since you said the earlier version are better than it... :nonono:

It has been said that FF6 IS the best Final Fantasy game by most. It usually comes down to 6 or 7, but most times 6 is voted as the best, I am just a bit surprised you would say that.

Drew

The first half is amazing. I'm just not a fan of the sandbox style in the second half. It irks me that it's impossible to complete the second half of the game without consulting GameFAQs. My favorite characters from the first half are the hardest to find in the second, and only the most annoying and grating characters are easy to find. Also, the Esper system is a grind to complete, and not particularly rewarding in the end.

I like 4 more than 6 because the story was consistent throughout, the characters were all engaging, and there was just the right mix of structure and sandbox throughout. The levelup system was easy to understand though it was difficult to master, the dungeons had fantastic designs even if they weren't as complex as the dungeons in 6. Plus, 4 has Kain, who I think is one of the best VG characters I've ever played with.

In short, Kefka > Kain, but you don't see enough of him. The levelup system in 6 is a grind at best while 4 was at least easy to understand. I don't much like sandbox games, and the second half of 6 is just a giant sandbox. And annoying and bad characters ruin a game for me.

I would also have to agree with 4 being the altogether best, with probably either 5 or 6 (6 based solely on story) as second. my overall favorite myself though is 3. 6 really did just break down once we got to World of Ruin, and leveling the magic up was a pain. I ended up just cheating in order to finish the game, because I got tired of it all and just wanted to finish it. 4, on the other hand, I can play over and over, on the SNES version and now the DS version (I bought the GBA version but didn't play through it far because mine was glitchy) and never get bored

far as the ones after that, I guess I'll give my opinions:

7: this one everyone seems to think is the best, but I really didn't like it myself, much for the same reason as the system in 6. I cheated to beat this one as well, and their endless milking of this particular title further and further makes me like it less and less by each day.

8: 8 is usually voted as the worst overall by most people, but I really enjoyed this one myself. I never finished it though, because I was playing it on PC version and my Disc 3 got scratched, after the PC version was no longer in print so I couldnt replace it anymore. its difficult to get the system set up early in play so I havent taken the time to start into it again

9: 9 i never really played very far into it, but it hearkens back to the old 2D generations of the games for gameplay and story

10: 10's cast seemed really weak to me, so I never bothered playing very far into it. got past the first Semore battle and didnt play anymore.

11: 11 is an MMO so not for everyone, but I enjoy the storyline and the world. however I got tired of partying because of some bad groups, so I pretty much just play solo now. dont play it regularly, just when I feel like doing something, keep my account deactivated the rest of the time]

12: 12's game system is pretty much a single-player version of the 11 experience, and so I really enjoyed it as well. havent finished it because I usually get caught up farming stuff rather than progressing in the storyline

13: after seeing Ultimatedra and our other roomate playing 13, I have no intention of ever playing it myself, it looks absolutely horrible, and the composer is even worse

Last edited:
13: after seeing Ultimatedra and our other roomate playing 13, I have no intention of ever playing it myself, it looks absolutely horrible, and the composer is even worse

LOL - ff13 is a freaking movie, not a game. I caught up to our roommate in 30 hours when he had already spend 100 - all because i skip the cut scenes.

I did not care for FF13 - sure, the leveling system was nice...until chapter 11, but the cinematic scenes for EVERYTHING you do gets annoying.

Avoid FFXIII. The game is horrible for all the hype it recieved. The game is extremely linear with hardly any exploration until very very late in the game. I've played well over 30 hours and still have yet to get to the bottom world. You simply play the game to get to the next cut scene. Music is one of the few pluses of the game but I would never pay more than $30 USD for it. Also 360 is complete trash and is worse than the PS3 version.

7 is also far from the best. Many who claim this haven't played others.

10 was great and the first sequel 10-2 was decent and was the first story sequel to any FF game.

IMO XII is one of the best. Battle system is like an MMORPG which removes random encounters. License Point System is a little annoying but later in the game it gets easy to gain enough LP to acquire new licenses.

FF games are on all systems you own execept for X-Box.

Music is one of the few pluses of the game

the music in that game was pretty lame, and had no hope of redemption once he played SMOOTH JAZZ for a boss battle (not to mention that blasted vocal song that plays all the time)... im glad the composer left Square Enix

10-2 I found to be a mix between really hokey and rather interesting... didnt play far into it because I never finished 10 in the first place so really had no idea what was going on.

then we have the Tactics series, which I havent played except for a little bit of the first title in the series because I suck at Strategy RPGs

Well, having played pretty much all of them in one form or another, here are my thoughts:

1&2 remakes for the GBA (or 2 seperate PSP UMDs I suppose) are both great grabs, especially with the new dungeons added in both of them. Gives you more of a reason to keep playing on after the final boss.

3 I got the DS version of, it's ok...not my favorite, but it's passable.

4, I recommend the GBA remake, it's infinitely more flexible than the remake on the DS or original. Instead of being tied to 4 set characters in the endgame, you have the flexibility of switching in previous members as well, which to me definitely increases its re-playability. Plus, there's of course a whole new, pretty large dungeons for each member, which adds new goodies and stuff to do after beating the game.

5 for the GBA, I honestly think this is my #2 favorite, after FF7. Despite having only 5 characters (of which you only use 4 at a time), it has the largest class system you'll find outside of a FFT or MMO version. The storyline was a bit simple, but I liked it (I don't know why everyone bashes Exdeath, I thought he was pretty cool), and of course there's the mega-large after-endgame dungeon to explore, where you get to battle a hidden boss and unlock another exclusive class to play with. And, as if it needs to be said, Gilgamesh makes his first appearance here!

6, I have for the GBA, it's good, easily #3 on my list. Sorta the epic precursor to what FF7 became.

7, have it for PS and PSP, pretty much the most epic one.

8 I have for the PS, it's not bad...I didn't care much for the oddball way it handled spells and such, but eh.

9, I'll admit I never played; I just thought it looked dumb with the graphics after FF7 and 8, so I never bothered picking it up.

10, have for PS2, it's fun enough.

11 of course is the mmo, I recommend not getting into it as they're coming out with FFXIV soon, which is pretty much the successor to XI, meaning it's going to be canned within a year.

12, this is where I started petering off; I didn't care for the combat system at all, but the story was pretty good.

13, haven't played, dunno if I want to. Honestly, I think the new ones these days try to make it feel more like some action game, I liked the simple battle systems in the older ones.

Let's see...I hated all the Crystal ones dating back to that icky Gamecube one, I'd just avoid them; none of them carry any feel of a main-series FF.

9 is definately a "throw back" to the days of 4, 5, and 6. I enjoyed it way more than 8.
7 is the most popular one, but no where as interesting as 9 was IMO.

Back