Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Final Team for VGC

Elite_4_Allen

OK, so after a lot of testing and having Aaron kick my butt over and over again, I've decided on a team I will go with for VGC 2011.

Musharna @Mental Herb:
252Hp/252Def/4SpA
Quiet Nature
Telepathy
-Helping Hand
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Protect

Scrafty @Chople Berry
252Atk/252Hp/4Spd
Adamant Nature
Shed Skin
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Fake Out
-Protect

These are the lead Pokemon of this team. Musharna's bulkiness+Scrafty's fake out= an almost guranteed Trick Room setup. Drain Punch allows Scrafty to stay in the game for a long time.

Conkeldurr @Flame Orb
252Atk/252Hp/4Def
Adamant Nature
Guts
-Rock Slide
-Mach Punch
-Protect
-Wide Guard

Druddigon @Life Orb/Dragon gem
252Atk/252SpA/4SpD
Relaxed Nature
Sheer Force
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw
-Protect
-Flamethrower

These are the two sweepers. Conkeldurr is standard and Druddigon can just handle a lot of things, but I might replace him with Escavalier.
These are just the back up pokemon:

Jellicent @Choice Scarf
116Hp/252SpA/140SpD
Modest Nature
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Hydro Pump
-Blizzard

Chandelure @Focus sash/Ghost Gem
252SpA/252Hp/4Def
Quiet Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Flamethrower
-Trick Room
-Protect

Please help me make this team better in time for VGC. I am going to the one in Georgia so I have a bit more time than some others.

Last edited:
These are just the back up pokemon:

Jellicent @Choice Scarf
120Hp/252SpA/180SpD
Relaxed Nature
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Trick Room
-Protect

... What? I know it's a back up Pokemon, but with 31 speed IV, your nature and EVs the scarf would hit 108, which is still slower than almost everything. And then using protect and trick room?

I've seen surprise choice Jelly work. This just isn't set up to be one.

Imprison Chandelure hits 132 (modest) or 145 (timid) speed. To out-speed it you would need 89 speed for the modest or 98 speed to out-speed the timid.

Since it's choice there is no point in using protect or trick room. I recommend:

Jellicent @ Choice Scarf
Modest
116HP/252SA/140SP with 31 speed IV
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Ice beam
-Hydro Pump

Modest nature gives you as much firepower as you can get, which with Jelly's low 85 base SA you need. 140 SP with 31 IV's gives it 98 speed, with choice scarf hitting 147, just enough to out-speed timid Chandelures. 116 HP still gives it a very nice HP stat. With 147 speed it can still work in trick room, being still slower than a lot of threats. So once you've "offed" Chandelure set up trick room.

You use both Water Spout and Hydro Pump so that 1) You can hit one Pokemon or two and 2) If your HP is low and you switch pokemon to change attacks you still have a powerful water attack. The rest is for coverage.

On your Musharna, why the telepathy ability? just asking.... as I do not see that your Pokies have no moves that even attack all pokies on the field. Telepathy negates attakcs effecting your team when using attacks like earthquake, surf, ect......-
Forwarn or even synchronize could be a bit more usefull in the double battle format.
Forwarn gives up an opponant attck that is the most "threatening", synchronize is kind of a "payback" on status inflicters. ( at least a chance to work in your favor)

Last edited:
Who even uses Synchronizable status in doubles?
If you're not going to use Surf/Earthquake I'm not sure why you are using Telepathy though.

^just saying that their are two other ability options- whether they are usefull in doubles or not. Telepathy is not neccessary for his team, imo.

Back