Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fire Fang or Stone Edge On Garchomp

Da Master

I'm having a tough time deciding which one to put on Garchomp
Fire Fang:
Hits Skarmory and bronzong

Stone Edge:
Is stronger but doesn't hit skarmory or bronzong.

Fire Fang for sure, although some Bronzong have the ability Heat Proof, making it less vulnerable to fire. But Garch carries EQ for those.:lol: As for Skarmory, it's just good as it can get Super Effective hits even while Roosting.

Stone Edge hits Skarmory for Neutral. It won't be faster than you anless you are paralyzed, so, stone edge. It also has 35 Higher base power.
I am asuming it has Dragon claw/Rush/Outrage as it's stab and earthquake, but what else does it have, cause usually a Garchomp has all 4.

Stone Edge hits Skarmory for Neutral. It won't be faster than you anless you are paralyzed, so, stone edge. It also has 35 Higher base power.
I am asuming it has Dragon claw/Rush/Outrage as it's stab and earthquake, but what else does it have, cause usually a Garchomp has all 4.

Why hit Skarmory with Stone Edge when you can hit it for 2x damage with...Fire Fang?

Stone Edge tends to have better type coverage vs other Pogeymanz, that's why Arcanite is all for it. But if you have some other Pokemon with a Rock type move, go Fire Fang and surprise those Weak to Fire. It'll hit Skarm obviously harder and won't be screwed by Roost if that happens (Trick Room, Paralyzed).

Eh... this is a tough issue. Personally, I run my Garchomp with Outrage, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Fire Fang, but if you only have room for one of those...

Stone Edge gives Gyarados trouble, so if you're having trouble with Gyarados, go Stone Edge. On the other hand, Scizor, Skarmory, and Bronzong are huge OU threats that are hit hard by Fire Fang. When it comes down to it, choose based on what you think you'll see the most of.

Even thought I hate Garchomp, I don't consider it uber till Nintendo or Gamefreak say so.

Do this

Garchomp

Nature: Adamant, Jolly or Mild (Mild for Flamethrower or Fire Blast)
Item: Salac Berry (For Adamant or Mild Nature), Life Orb, Yeche Berry
EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 6 SATK

Moveset:

Swords Dance
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Fire Fang/ Flamethrower/ Fire Blast

I'm not sure if it gets Dragon Dance. If it does, give it that over Swords Dance. You can pick Flamethrower or Fire Blast over Fire Fang because all Steel types have poor special defense but if you are sure you can get up a few Sword Dances, then go for Fire Fang.

I would say fire fang. But, if you double battle, I would choose niether move. Shadow claw or brick break for double battle, while your other pokemon should have a good fire move to compliment.

Even thought I hate Garchomp, I don't consider it uber till Nintendo or Gamefreak say so.

Oh ok so you also consider Azelf Uxie and Mesprit uber?

Nintendo's tiering fails pretty badly.

If Skarmory is your concern, go with Fire Fang. It's effectively 140BP vs. Skarm and about 10% more accurate than Stone Edge's 100BP... or almost 50% stronger. Dragon/Ground gets at least neutral coverage on everything in the game except Steels with either Flying or Levitate, of which the only one is Skarmory... so Fire Fang in this case is the more important move for coverage, since it hits literally everything that would resist dragon & ground (note that Ground's actual resists are bug and grass, which are hit by Fire).

Fire fang is base 65 Power. 65x2=130. If you are worried about Skarmory, why not use a fire blast and a Sp.Defence lowering nature? Skarmory's Base Sp.Defence is 70 compared to it's Defence of 140, and EV's are rarely invested in it's Special defence.

Fire fang is base 65 Power. 65x2=130. If you are worried about Skarmory, why not use a fire blast and a Sp.Defence lowering nature? Skarmory's Base Sp.Defence is 70 compared to it's Defence of 140, and EV's are rarely invested in it's Special defence.

Right, my bad, I thought Fire Fang was 70.

The reason you don't do that is Garchomp can't afford to take EVs away from Attack or Speed, since it can't afford to be outsped by Flygon or Salamence, and as powerful as it is, it can't afford to drop its attack stat either since it isn't generally holding a damage-boosting item (Life Orb/Expert Belt).

It's still a 30% power difference between FF and SE though, and FF has the dual chances to flinch and burn, further aiding the Skarmownage.

Oh ok so you also consider Azelf Uxie and Mesprit uber?

Nintendo's tiering fails pretty badly.

If Skarmory is your concern, go with Fire Fang. It's effectively 140BP vs. Skarm and about 10% more accurate than Stone Edge's 100BP... or almost 50% stronger. Dragon/Ground gets at least neutral coverage on everything in the game except Steels with either Flying or Levitate, of which the only one is Skarmory... so Fire Fang in this case is the more important move for coverage, since it hits literally everything that would resist dragon & ground (note that Ground's actual resists are bug and grass, which are hit by Fire).

No, Nintendo or GameFreak don't ban them.

No, Nintendo or GameFreak don't ban them.

They're banned from the Battle Tower.

Or are you talking about the Video Game championships?

In which case, apparently Celebi, Jirachi, Phione, and Little Shaymin are "Uber".

Phione and Little Shaymin aren't even OU material. But yeah, definitely uber? And Wobbuffett definitely isn't broken enough for Uber status...

I also like how Mew & Deoxys are banned outright from the 2010 VGC rules, but Mewtwo, Kyogre, Lugia, Palkia, and Rayquaza are only on the "up to 2" list.

edit: oh and the reference to the pixies was the Battle Tower banning.

They're banned from the Battle Tower.

Or are you talking about the Video Game championships?

In which case, apparently Celebi, Jirachi, Phione, and Little Shaymin are "Uber".

Phione and Little Shaymin aren't even OU material. But yeah, definitely uber? And Wobbuffett definitely isn't broken enough for Uber status...

I also like how Mew & Deoxys are banned outright from the 2010 VGC rules, but Mewtwo, Kyogre, Lugia, Palkia, and Rayquaza are only on the "up to 2" list.

edit: oh and the reference to the pixies was the Battle Tower banning.

The in-game Battle Tower does not ban them because I'm sure I use the pixies there. The others are banned because they are event Pokemon that not everyone can get. Not everyone can get Mew but everyone can get Mewtwo.

Dragonite was legal in the VGC last season and the only way to get a LV 50 Dragonite last year was via an event. Remember, last season they didn't have the level adjust feature so you had to have an actual level 50 pokemon (hence why Tyranitar was banned).

So why does Mew or Jirachi qualify for banning? Mew is easily obtained, notably, and Jirachi isn't much harder, nor is Shaymin.

Dragonite was legal in the VGC last season and the only way to get a LV 50 Dragonite last year was via an event. Remember, last season they didn't have the level adjust feature so you had to have an actual level 50 pokemon (hence why Tyranitar was banned).

So why does Mew or Jirachi qualify for banning? Mew is easily obtained, notably, and Jirachi isn't much harder, nor is Shaymin.

The reason why they are banned is because the only legal way to get them were through a Event. Event Pokemon are not available to everyone. Not everyone got the chance to get them. Its different for Mewtwo. I never had a Mewtwo but I could drop 20 bucks on a game to catch one. Jirachi was only obtainable through the Pokemon Colosseum bonus disk that was not available to everyone. Same as Mew, the event item was never released as far as I know and Shaymin had the TRU release and the Platinum event where both are not open for all players.

They only did it to keep it fair to those who won't ever get the chance. Now, when they make a game where there is no doubt that you can catch a Shaymin, then it won't be banned but that is there event clause for the tournament.

Back