Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Firecats [Previously Shockblaze] (E-On)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkates

I like to have two decks built at a time. Since I'm experimenting with moving from Unlimited to Modified, this means I need a second E-On deck. Here's what I came up with. All Pokemon are from R/S. This list has been edited as I've made changes.

Pokemon (21):
1 Magmar ex
4 Torchic (2 Singe, 2 Fireworks)
4 Combusken (2 Natural Cure, 2 Double Kick)
4 Blaziken (2 Flamethrower, 2 Firestarter)
4 Electrike (3 Thunder Jolt, 1 Super Thunder Wave)
4 Manectric (2 Gigashock, 2 Thunder Jolt)

Trainers (23):
4 Professor Elm
2 Juggler
2 Professor Elm's Training Method
3 Lady Outing
2 Potion
2 Pokemon Nurse
2 Town Volunteers
2 Switch
2 Energy Switch
2 Fisherman

Energy (16):
9 Fire Energy
5 Lightning Energy
2 Psychic Energy

Strategy: Basically, it's a Blaziken/Manectric deck with a split personality -- I'm using two each of two different Blaziken and Manectric. Why those two? Manectric covers Water Weakness.

Last edited:
prof elm (best promo 5?) is allowed in eon format, so if you have any of those that'll help get you some draw power.

me I think I'd drop the whole electric line and go with 2-2 Delcatty and 4x weakness guard

another town volunteers as you are going to be putting lots of energy into the discard pile

ditch the lady outings too...they work best with three colours.. [so if you are going to use lady outing splash in a couple of psychic energy.]

there is a nice gym that allows you to draw a card if you don't have a supporter in your hand.. so I'd be cutting down on my supporters and adding in that gym. Wally in Sandstorm is a must play card (if you have any that is)

Oracle instead of the elms training methods, drop juggler too. Juggler IS a great card, but Delcatty is better.

Pity I can't add up but that seems to be somewhere around 60 cards LOL

re

You need some stalls. There are some babies left, promo igglybuff (good night song), and promo Cleffa (Eek). And the new fossils are great stalls, both have 40 HP, can be discarded from play at any time, and when knocked out your opponent doesn't get a prize. But what really makes both of them shine is thier pokebodies,
Root Fossil-At any time in between turns, you may remove 1 damage counter from Root Fossil.
Claw Fossil-If Claw fossil is your active pokemon and is damaged by an opponent's attack(even if Claw fossil is knocked out), put 1 damage counter on the attacking pokemon.

I've noticed your not playing any sandstorm, you probably haven't gotten any yet. Many Sandstorm cards will affect gameplay greatly.

The only problem with NoPoke's suggestion is that, other than Town Volunteers, I don't have any of the Pokemon or Trainers you're suggesting, at least not available for this deck. All but Oracle I don't have at all, and Oracle's in my other deck. However, I have replaced one Lady Outing with Town Volunteers. I don't have any Sandstorm at the moment, but when I do get some, you'll probably start seeing them in my decks. I do have a Promo Cleffa, but I could use ideas on where to put it. And I really don't want to drop the Manectric line.

Last edited:
Can't believe I made that mistake! OK, so I dropped the Camerupt line, brought the Blaziken line to 4-4-4 (doubles of each in the line), and added a Fire Energy and a Promo Cleffa.

Last edited:
I've been lucky with my case of Ruby and got lots of Delcatty.

Well without the drawpower of delcatty I suggest you put the lady outing back in and squeeze in a couple of psychic energies.. If/when you get a lady outing you get to maximise its effect and thin your deck. The additional energy from lady outing never hurts especially if you are using Juggler.

Have you got any Fisherman? Basic energy straight back to your hand ( also good for Juggler).

Unfortunately in the EOn we will be playing in the UK after October none of the numbered WotC promos will be allowed. Best promos are allowed.

There are some very good cards in Sandstorm 'Wobuffet the Ex-destroyer', the fossils for stall. Wally. a marvelous Growlithe, another decent linoone. Dreams of next week when Sandstorm is due in the UK.

OK, dropping Cleffa and two Fire Energy for a Lady Outing and two Fishermen. I'm a little nervous to change any of my Energy to another type, even if it does help Lady Outing work better.

ouch 8 basics... You are going to muligan a lot and suffer early KO's.

muligan 35% of the time
single basic 42% of the time

put that Cleffa back in. Better yet put in two!

Last edited:
No its every bit as bad... you can't afford to give your opponent early card advantage. Without massive draw and hand cycling you can expect it to take three or more turns before either player is ready to engage in serious combat. However if you muligan twice and have either elected to go first or your opponet has chosen to go second you are now three cards behind. Three cards is often enough to ensure that you never recover

Draw is Juggler and Eek Cleffa
Cycling is Elm and CopyCat.

Last edited:
Well, does a ninth basic help? I managed to fit in a fourth Electrike (and another Manectric). I wish I had another Magmar ex...

re

Pokemon 21
1 Magmar ex
4 Torchic
3 Combusken
3 Blaziken (all should be firestarter)
4 Electrike
3 Manectric (all should be Thunder Jolt)
2 Igglybuff
1 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)

Trainers 24
4 Professor Elm
3 Copy Cat
2 Professor Oak's Research
3 Moo Moo Milk
2 Town Volunteers
3 Warp Point
3 Claw Fossil
2 Wally's Training
2 Pokemon Fan Club

Energy 15
9 Fire Energy
6 Lightning Energy

Hope I helped.

with 10 basics you muligan 25% of the time. Your chances of having to start with a lone basic drop too: from around 2/3 or your matches to roughly 1/2.

Wish I could remember the link for a magic the gathering opening hand simulator that is hiding on the web...

7 card draw in each case

no of basics, muligan probability
8 : 35%
10 : 26%
12 : 19%
14 : 14%

no of basics, single active basic.
8 : 65%
10 : 55%
12: 47%
14: 40%

I guess this shows why the tyrogue vs Cleffa FTKO was so infamous.

What's wrong with mulliganing when you can just copycat them so you get the cards too.

BTW If I count right...
2 Juggler
2 Professor Elm's Training Method
3 Lady Outing
2 Pokemon Nurse
2 Town Volunteers
2 Fisherman
all of these are supporters. Out of 24 trainers, thats 13. More than 50%. That's far too many supporter cards, you could run into alot of trouble not being able to play as many trainers.

The problem is that non-Supporter cards for those purposes are all but non-existant. In response to Shadow, your decklist has many cards that I either don't have or don't have enough of. I HAVE NO SANDSTORM CARDS! Please do not suggest them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back