Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Flippy attacks: do they still benefit from PP/Strength Charm and weakness?

zapatosunidos

If you attach Plus Power or Strength Charm to a flippy attack and you flip tails for a net damage of 0, do the attachments still add damage?

In similar vein, if the defending Pokemon is weak to the attacking Pokemon, does net zero damage still get to add counters for weakness?

I am thinking of Riolu, but the premise would be the same for other cards with flips like Steelix, Dodrio, etc.

You calculate damage. If there is no damage, strength charm or plus power don't add to it. So to answer your question, zero is zero. No extra damage is done if you flip tails for an attack that does damage. No extra damage is done if the attacking pokemon does 0 damage, even if the defending pokemon is weak to the attacking pokemon.

Weakness doesn't add counters.

This is all covered in a theme deck rule book. (shame on you if you haven't got a rule book :tongue: ) Here is a link to the online expert rules http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/strategy/rulebook.html :thumb:They are the same rules as you will find in a the theme deck but I find the actual books easier to read and much more transportable.

Sorry, yes I have a rule book. One in my car, on my end table, on my playing table... I really meant increase damage; I just forgot about the distinction between placing damage counters and doing damage. Though I suppose when talking about weakness and resistance, one should try very hard not to lose that distinction!

The only problem with using the rule book for everything is that the fine points (like doing damage vs placing counters) are easily glossed over by new folks unless they are playing or otherwise collaborating with experienced players. The fine points are what this game is all about. That is why I lean on the 'Gym to assist me in interpreting cards rather than just playing by my own rules. I don't want my son to be surprised when he gets old enough to start going to tournaments.

Think about the wording on a card like Kricketune. It is very easy to misread that card unless someone experienced simply tells you the damage count. And that is a simple deck!

Ideally, I would start taking him someplace to play with somebody other than me on the weekends. I have no idea how to find a place like that, though. Anybody know of a place in the Detroit area?

Ideally, I would start taking him someplace to play with somebody other than me on the weekends. I have no idea how to find a place like that, though. Anybody know of a place in the Detroit area?

Hopefully someone in your area can give you more specifics but here is a list of Michigan leagues - http://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/league/locator/submit.asp . I am from Detroit originally and we have gone to the league at Twelve Oaks Mall when we were in the area visiting Grandma. There are some very good players and nice people in Michigan.

Back