Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Florida States Report - Juniors

Rob-GAJP

This was our first States for me and my kids ( 2 of them , 9 and 8 year olds ) after 9 months or so in the game. It was a great event and very well organized , the whole family had a great time . Andres went with a Gengar & friends deck , and Juan Pablo went for a Kingdra & friends one. It was huge group with over 60 kids in Juniors alone. So I don't know all the details and names , apologies for that, but here's the summary for my sons' journey :

Andres made top cup 5-1 , just loosing to a kid with Tyranitar for weakness and with Azelf X prized ...

Juan Pablo went 4-2 , loosing to Gigas and Magmortar decks, this last one he had a huge basics problem .. should have won for weakness. But luck is a big part of this game .. . He did not make top cut as other 2 kids ending 4-2 as well had better percentage .. we where crushed.

So on to the finals ... Andres won Top 8 to a Kid with a grass deck , he then went on to win Top 4 to Jacob playing Magmortar ( he always has good matches with Jacob , Andres won 2 cities playing him in the finals and lost one , so great matches always , and his Dad is a nice guy also ) , and won the tournament to a kid named Robbie playing Regigigas .... We where all very nervous watching him play from the distance , but when he finally won we where thrilled !! .. all the Miami crowd around that was cheering for him was very happy also ( all fantastic kids from our league , it's great to have such a good group of people around every Friday night ) .

He then received all his prizes and went straight to the room to open all his card packs , talk about the day and plan his new deck ideas with the whole family .

I played with a Palkia G / Dialga G deck myself and did pretty good in my first States going 6-1 in the swiss rounds , and loosing in Top 16 to a very well played Gigas / Palkia G deck. I was dead nervous as Andres was playing the finals in front of me at that time and made a few misplays, but still Omar played a great game and fully deserved to win.

So final Jr standings :

1- Andres with Gengar & Friends
2- Robbie with Regigigas
3 - Jacob with Magmortar

As I was reading Jrwaxman's report, they took Seniors and Masters with a Gengar / Machamp deck ( congratulations to them for that , great win ! ) , so I guess Gengar ruled Florida states this year !

We look forward to a great time again in Orlando for Regionals in April.

Props

A great tournament overall, congrats to the organizers
Andres winning
making top cut in my first States experience .. 10 months ago I didn't even know how to spell pokemon :)
All the Miami crowd .. 3 more Masters made the top cut and a couple more in Seniors , so good representation overall and again a great bunch of people to play with.

Slops

Juan Pablo not making top cut on average points ( this was the worst part of the day )
Mark my friend not making top cut either, he's a great player and a great friend , felt bad for him. He'll do great in Orlando, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Nice job on your 6-1 Roberto. Also congratulations to your sons for doing so well in their first State Championships. I should come down to Miami and practice with you guys for Regionals because obviously you're all doing something right.

~Greg.

Thx Greg, it's all about watching and learning from top players like you that have been up there in high rankings for a long time ... look forward to seeing you in the league one of these Fridays and play a few matches and trade ideas. I believe me & the kids will be playing this for a long time ... take care and see you soon.

Back