Date: October 13th 2012 Finals on October 14th
Time: Registration from 9:30am-10:30am
Play begins: After Registration and Deck Checks Finish
Cost for main tournament:FREE!!!

Tournament Location:
Allen County War Memorial Coliseum
4000 Parnell Avenue
Fort Wayne, IN 46805

This will be in a lot nicer room then last year, no more basement :)

Video Game information can be found here http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2330607#post2330607

This will be a 2 day event with some of top cut Saturday, rest of Finals on that Sunday. Hotel Discounts listed at bottom of this page. Finalists will need to be at the convention center at 8:30am Sunday for deck check. 9am Finals start.

Top Cut will be best 2 of 3 with a 75 minute time limit.

Some helpful links if your coming from out of town

Food Guide for area tournament is being held:
http://www.visitfortwayne.com/data/uploads/Maps/PDFs/Coliseum_Dining_Map2011_Feb.pdf

Note: The venue does not allow outside food inside the venue, and yes they do check...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Prize Information

Prizes are awarded to the top players in each of three age divisions.

All participants will receive 3 Play! Points, and a Pokémon Regional Championships promo card (while supplies last), just for playing!

1st Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 1st Place award

A Travel Award (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.* †

A first- and second-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**

A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

120 Championship Points

2nd Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 2nd Place award

A Travel Stipend of $500 for Junior and Senior Division finalists to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.* †

A first- and second-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**

A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

110 Championship Points (if division attendance is 4 or greater)

3rd & 4th Place

A Travel Stipend of $500 for Junior and Senior Division finalists to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.* †

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place award

A combination of 36 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

90 Championship Points (if division attendance is 8 or greater)

5th Place through 8th Place

A combination of 24 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

70 Championship Points(if division attendance is 32 or greater)

9th Place through 12th Place

A combination of 18 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

50 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)

13th Place through 16th Place

A combination of 18 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

40 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)

17th Place through 32nd Place

A combination of 7 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions

20 Championship Points (if division attendance is 128 or greater)

33rd Place through 64th Place

10 Championship Point (if division attendance is 256 or greater)

* Travel awards and byes are awarded to the winning Canadian or United States player and are awarded to the National Championships corresponding to the player’s nationality. A Canadian player is therefore eligible to win a travel award to the Canadian National Championship from an event hosted in the United States, and vice versa.

** Byes do not “stack.” If you have won a bye in another event such as the S/P/T Championship and finish in the top 2 of a Regional Championship, you will receive a maximum first- and second-round bye at your National Championships.

† Travel awards do not “stack.” If you have won a travel award at a previous Regional Championships event, the travel award will pass down to the next eligible player. If there is a stipend awarded to the player who the travel award is passed to, that stipend will instead be awarded to the player the travel award was passed down from. Travel stipends DO stack, meaning that a player may earn multiple travel stipends.

Side Events

-8 person Mutant Draft- $15 entry -single elim
recieve 4 packs of Dragons Exalted to draft a 40 card mutant deck (energy will be available to borrow)
1st Place- 4 additional packs
2nd Place- 2 additional packs

-Win a box 8 person Modified- $15 entry best 2 of 3 single elim
1st place- 1 box of Dragons Exalted
2nd place- 4 packs
3rd & 4th place 2 packs
5th-8th- 1 pack

-Limited Draft $15 entry- single elim 8 person
recieve 4 packs of Dragons Exalted to draft a 40 card deck (energy will be available to borrow)
1st Place- 4 additional packs
2nd Place- 2 additional packs

Pokemon Sleeves 8 Person Tournaments
Cost: $5
Modified format
Prizes:
1st Place: 2 packs of Noble Victories, 60-pack of Pokemon Sleeves
2nd Place: 2 packs of cards
3rd-8th place: 1 pack of cards

Video Game Sides -Saturday only cost and prizes TBA soon

We will also have a coloring table, still working on details of a possible league. Also waiting on confirmation on what product I will be able to get as that will dictate how many more side events we will be able to do. I expect to have no problem getting product just waiting for confirmation....

Hotel Information

Holiday Inn at IPFW & Coliseum
4111 Paul Shaffer Drive
Fort Wayne, Indiana, 46825
Phone: 260-482-3800

Rooms for $99 a night, must call and ask for "Pokemon Championship" rate. Or use group code POK
This hotel is directly across from conference center. This is good till Oct 12th.

The Hyatt Place Fort Wayne
111 W. Washington Center Road
Fort Wayne, IN, 46825
Tel: 1-260-471-8522
Hyatt Website
Rooms for $99 a night
For hotel Discount Use Group Code: G-POKE
Or Call and ask for "Pokemon Championship" Rate
Reservations must be made by Sept 13th to recieve discount rate, may be able to still find same rate online if you look.

Vendor Information

Troll and Toad will once again be buying and selling cards and other pokemon items.

While trading is fine, please note that buying/selling cards with anyone except for our authorized dealer(s), or soliciting to do so elsewhere, is strictly forbidden at this event. Failure to obey this rule may result in both the buyer and the seller being removed from the event, and banned from attending future events.

Last edited:
Derek just responded to the players on a Facebook thread that he will indeed be extending his top cuts from the usual 60 minutes to 75 minutes for this event! How awesome.

I hope more follow in his footsteps. Thanks Derek!

I am not going to this regional, but I wanted to come on and say this is a great move for your regionals.

I think it makes it more prestigious as well. When I travel far, and I do it often, I look for these kinds of things. It's appreciated by competitive players. I think it's a good move.

I've read through this several times and I still can't tell how much of top cut will be 75 min. After reading Klaczinski's post I thought that all Top Cut rounds would be 75 min, but after reading the OP I can't tell. Would someone please clarify?

Last edited:
I've read through this several times and I still can't tell how much of top cut will be 75 min. After reading Klaczinski's post I thought that all Top Cut rounds would be 75 min, but after reading the OP I can't tell. Would someone please clarify?

From what Derek told me this weekend, it'll be all of Top Cut that runs 75 minutes.

I see what you're referring to by "Finals", but I'd take that to mean the "single elimination finals portion of the tournament" as the official Regionals FAQ says it.

But, confirmation would help.

Better :) didn't think about that, I think of finals as all of top cut, but can see why others would see it as the final match

Better :) didn't think about that, I think of finals as all of top cut, but can see why others would see it as the final match

Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate you going the exta mile with this, and I'm really excited for this event. It's shaping up to be fantastic tournament!

I'm very excited about this event! I'm going to try my best to make the trip up to Fort Wayne from here in Missouri. I may end up taking the Greyhound bus (15 hours. . . ) but it'd be worth it!

Added some side events and vendor information, working on adding more side events to the list. Hotels are still available but both nearby places have told me they are running low for Saturday night.....

I've got a quick question.

I can't remember if I read this somewhere online or something, but will the cards from Dragon Vault be legal (i.e. the non-shiny Rayquaza), or just the ones that are already legal and are just being reprinted (again, the Rayquaza)? I only ask because I want to know if it's worth it to invest in these things in an attempt to scoop up a bunch of these cards, or if I can simply do that after Regionals.

Thanks for answering!

Will there be any vendors?

As it states at the very bottom of the post about the tournament above in the section called "vendor information" Troll and Toad will be at the tournament....

---------- Post added 09/26/2012 at 08:19 PM ----------

I've got a quick question.

I can't remember if I read this somewhere online or something, but will the cards from Dragon Vault be legal (i.e. the non-shiny Rayquaza), or just the ones that are already legal and are just being reprinted (again, the Rayquaza)? I only ask because I want to know if it's worth it to invest in these things in an attempt to scoop up a bunch of these cards, or if I can simply do that after Regionals.

Thanks for answering!

According to my email I got a little bit ago from Organized Play, Dragon Vault will not be legal for Regionals since some parts of the country will not have it yet....

According to my email I got a little bit ago from Organized Play, Dragon Vault will not be legal for Regionals since some parts of the country will not have it yet....

Will reprints of currently legal cards be legal for Regionals? Specifically, the Rayquaza?

Still haven't decided whether to drive the kids 10 hours to this or not. But maybe a little more info on Jr/Sr top cut might help:
Derek, you mention that you'll be doing some of top cut on Saturday, which I think will be great for us getting out and back home in time for kids to bed on Sunday. Swiss will surely end earlier for Jrs and Srs than for Masters, and they'll probably have fewer top cut rounds as well. How will that work? Will you start Jr and/or Sr top cut on Saturday at the same time as Masters? Or will you start them earlier? (Or, because they will probably have fewer top cut rounds, will you just run all of Jr/Sr top cut on Sunday?)
I'm sorry to ask all of this, but it will help me figure out how likely it is that we can get in some return driving on Saturday night. Even if my kids manage to top cut, they probably won't get far, and if I could guess that they'll be done on Saturday it would help. I also understand that all this depends on how many Jrs/Srs attend, and there's no way to know this in advance. But I appreciate any info you can give!

Derek, is there somewhere I can e-mail you to discuss the possibility of recording and live streaming matches from the event? Last year you allowed us to record matches at your Regional, and we were able to stream live from Wisconsin Regionals as well, so The Top Cut is hoping to do something this year again. Either way, I'll be looking forward to attending the event. Thanks!

Still haven't decided whether to drive the kids 10 hours to this or not. But maybe a little more info on Jr/Sr top cut might help:
Derek, you mention that you'll be doing some of top cut on Saturday, which I think will be great for us getting out and back home in time for kids to bed on Sunday. Swiss will surely end earlier for Jrs and Srs than for Masters, and they'll probably have fewer top cut rounds as well. How will that work? Will you start Jr and/or Sr top cut on Saturday at the same time as Masters? Or will you start them earlier? (Or, because they will probably have fewer top cut rounds, will you just run all of Jr/Sr top cut on Sunday?)
I'm sorry to ask all of this, but it will help me figure out how likely it is that we can get in some return driving on Saturday night. Even if my kids manage to top cut, they probably won't get far, and if I could guess that they'll be done on Saturday it would help. I also understand that all this depends on how many Jrs/Srs attend, and there's no way to know this in advance. But I appreciate any info you can give!

My plan is to get the main event done by 9pm which would make it about a 10 hour event with lunch and registration taken out. Last year we tried to do all the Juniors and Seniors the first day, and regretted it later as Seniors took forever, a lot of the matches were tied after time was called so we had a few final matches take a lot longer then they should of and Seniors didn't end till 11:12pm, which in my opinion is way too late for players that young. Since max top cut for all age groups is 32, I am hoping to do masters top 8 on sunday, but it will all depend on how the day goes. As it is right now I plan to do Masters top 8 and Juniors and Seniors top 4 on Sunday. This may change though if attendance is high.

---------- Post added 10/02/2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

Derek, is there somewhere I can e-mail you to discuss the possibility of recording and live streaming matches from the event? Last year you allowed us to record matches at your Regional, and we were able to stream live from Wisconsin Regionals as well, so The Top Cut is hoping to do something this year again. Either way, I'll be looking forward to attending the event. Thanks!

derek (at) cardleagues.com is my email

Back