Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

FOSSILS! (150 Singleton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueListers

THIS FORMAT IS 150! If you're unfamiliar with the 150 format, go here:
http://ns0.pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163570

After kinda ignoring the format for the past month or so, I've finally gotten around to making my 150 deck. I'm a new-ish (since Fall BRs) player, and HGSS-On is the only format I've ever known, so some of my decisions may not be the best. Hopefully, though, I've made some good ones.

I've always wanted a deck based around the fossil engine, but it's almost impossible to accomplish in modified, as every fossil 'mon just doesn't have enough umph to work as a deck. But in Unlimited, especially 150, it's able to shine. The numerous Omanytes and Kabutos that search out other fossils contribute to being able to constantly stream attackers and disruptors. And among fossils, there is a lot of disruption. Trainer lock, power lock, evo lock-- even Supporter lock! So it should be a lot of fun to play (for me). I haven't built it or tested it yet (I'm the first to my knowledge in Central Florida to even make a decklist), but hopefully once it is built other players will see it and embrace it.

Anyways, here's the list:

Pokémon - 42
4 - Mysterious Fossil
4 - Dome Fossil
1 - Helix Fossil
2 - Old Amber
1 - Buried Fossil
1 - Aerodactyl FO
1 - Aerodactyl MD
1 - Aerodactyl EX
1 - Aerodactyl DE
1 - Kabuto MD
1 - Kabuto AR
1 - Kabuto SS
1 - Kabuto LM
1 - Kabutops MD
1 - Kabutops AR
1 - Kabutops PK
1 - Kabutops LM
1 - Omanyte ND
1 - Omanyte FO
1 - Omastar MD
1 - Omastar AR
1 - Sableye SF
1 - Ditto FO
1 - Spiritomb AR
1 - Phione
1 - Baltoy GE
1 - Claydol GE
1 - Uxie LA
1 - Uxie Lv. X
1 - Armaldo SS
1 - Holon's Castform
1 - Holon's Electrode
1 - Holon's Magneton

T/S/S - 35
1 - Pokémon Fan Club
1 - Bebe's Search
1 - Pokémon Collector
1 - Roseanne's Research
1 - Celio's Network
1 - Wally's Training
1 - Castaway
1 - Computer Search
1 - Oracle
1 - Dual Ball
1 - Luxury Ball
1 - Pokémon Retreiver
1 - Victory Cup
1 - Pokémon Communication
1 - Strange Cave
1 - Holon Fossil
1 - Fossil Excavator
1 - Expert Belt
1 - Fluffy Berry
1 - Pokémon Catcher
1 - Gust of Wind
1 - Warp Point
1 - Switch
1 - Junk Arm
1 - Energy Removal
1 - Super Energy Removal
1 - N
1 - Rocket's Admin
1 - Professor Oak
1 - Professor Oak's New Theory
1 - Copycat
1 - Bill
1 - TM TS-1 Evoluter
1 - Night Maintenance
1 - Professor Juniper

Energy - 23
11 - Fighting
5 - Water
1 - Scramble Energy
1 - Rainbow Energy
1 - Blend Energy WLFM
1 - Double Rainbow Energy
1 - Double Colorless Energy
1 - Rescue Energy
1 - Call Energy

REMOVED/ADDED
1 - Omanyte MD for Omanyte ND
1 - Omanyte LM for Rare Candy
1 - Anorith SS 27 for Pokémon Breeder
1 - Fighting Energy for Call Energy
1 - Helix Fossil for Buried Fossil
1 - Old Amber for Phione
1 - Recycle Energy for Holon's Electrode
1 - Water Energy for Holon's Magneton
1 - Omastar LM for Energy Removal
1 - Focus Band for Super Energy Removal

Any questions/comments/suggestions/discussion is welcome! I'll probably be making this deck within the next week or 2, and I'll let you know how it runs :)

Also, if there's any program I can use to playtest in the 150 format, I'd love to know...

Last edited:
Hey nice work! Posting an Unlimited list on here takes dedication, the Compendium is a pain to use >_< The list looks good so far, I have a few small suggestions though.

First, I don't see any Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal! You NEED these 2 Base set cards without a doubt, especially since your Kabutops is a 1 sided Trainer lock! Another thing that's becomming a staple is Electrode from Base (http://ns0.pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=45716&c=120). Don't let the Prize loss put you off, you can steamroll a game with an early Electrode going off, that's 3 energy in one turn. Exp. Share and Exp.all will also help with the lack of acceleration in the deck.

Replace one Omanyte with this one from Neo Destiny: http://ns0.pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=46862&c=112

This "Fossil" is an actual Basic Pokemon so it's easy to search for. It says any card that can evolve from Mysterious Fossil can evolve from it... so that's all fossil Pokemon including your Anorith: http://ns0.pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=48406&c=106 BF

Because your deck relies on evolved Pokemon a "2nd Spiritomb" like this Phione is useful and you can still play Fossil Trainers with this one active: http://ns0.pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=34952&c=175

Finally, because you run Aerodactyl (Fossil set) a few very strong Basics might be a good idea such as Terrakion and Kyurem from Noble Victories. Even as "exs" these guys still pull their weight, especially if you've locked Evolutions out. Also, play a Rare Candy and Pokemon Breeder to help get your Stage 2s out faster and also to break through your own evo lock.

I hope that was useful. If you can throw another deck together, having 2 decks to demo with at League really helps people get interested. I'll see about getting Redshark. LackeyCCG IS clunky, but it has pictures which can help with unfamiliar cards.

plenty of Cradily lock, fossil support, and disruption too:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=2954

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=20391

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=47757

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=47646

The PK one especially is great for searching out stuff. I'm not sure if you can fit any of these in somehow, but just thought I'd point 'em out.

By the way, great job on coming up with this decklist and all the links, really shows your dedication :thumb:

and this lileep is also good: http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=47799

You seem to lock yourself out of evolution which you are quite dependent on. also adding an underground lake cant hurt, even if it isnt as good as strange cave. I recall there is something in neo called fossil egg or something but I cant remember what it does, sounds relevant though. I am becoming interested in this format, but who would you play against when it is so little known?

Why bill? Did you realize it was reprinted as a much worse card?
Although not in the standard 150 rules (and definitely not the official TPCi rule) the general consensus is that cards reprinted as totally different types or with completely different rules are treated as different cards. This means you can play a Trainer Bill and a Supporter Bill. I don't see why a classic card such as Bill should be ruined like that anyway.

To dark wobbuffet, knowing when to play the fossil Aerodactyl is part of the skill of this deck. If you have the lead on your opponent, then can be a good time to stop them mounting a comeback. Also, playing it in the same turn as Omastar MD can be devastating.

As far as finding someone to play, online with LackeyCCG or maybe Redshark is doable. We have a League just for this format at my local store which started with 1 person with a couple of decks to lend and then 2 or 3 players and eventually a whole load of people got interested. There's an article on 6P which should help anyone get started (see sig.) and more on the way!

@cabd:
I forgot Call, but I'm not sure which energy to take out or if I should add more

@HEZ
I originally intended to put ER and SER in, along with Lost Remover, but I forgot :D

As for Omanyte, I chose MD over it because I wanted some recovery. But now that I think about it, directly from my deck is better than a basic I still have to evolve

Kyurem is a very good idea, with Omastar MD in there. I'll also add in Buried Fossil. I would have before, but I didn't even know it existed :O

As for Rare Candy, I didn't know you could evolve from a fossil to a Stage 2. I never played when Fossils were playable lol

@Garchomp
I really, REALLY wanted Cradily (my favorite fossil), but the third energy color would hurt this deck's consistency too much.

@Griftiest:
What HEZ said, I'm pretty sure they're considered 2 different cards. If not I'll take it out, but I don't mind drawing 2 cards off of an Item

@Wobbufett
I didn't know Underground Lake existed. As for Aerodactyl FO, it's not a card I play immediately. I'll play it after I set up. It's more a tech than an integral part of my strategy.
As for Fossil Egg, it's reliant on a coin flip, and its effect is exactly the same as Twist Mountain or some of the Omanyte/Kabuto abilities. So I just considered it redundant.

@HEZ (again!):
I'm gonna build my girlfriend a deck soon, she just has to decided which Pokémon she wants to base it around. That's honestly my favorite thing about this format: Yea, your favorite Pokémon sucks in Modified right now, but it used to be THE meta deck. So you can have fun and enjoy the different art and the different way of playing.

I want to make 150 like Commander in Magic (like with a Pokémon commander and everything), but the best method I can think of, LEGEND cards, only have like 8 printed. Not to mention issues with multicolor, as Pokémon doesn't have a set color wheel like Magic (Lugia has been a Psychic, Water and Colorless Pokémon, while Rain Dance has been on basically every type that has a stage 2). Also, Pokémon is not about Resource management, so you could just keep playing the Commander down after it gets KOed without repercussion.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the comments! Hopefully if you guys have decks you can post them here too so everyone can see the different archetypes in full. It took me about 45 mins to type this up with Links, but I really want this format to grow and have decks for it released (a la Magic's commander decks)

ALSO:
Does my deck have a good Pokémon/Trainer/Energy split? Or has a basis even been established for 100-card singleton yet?

I ran a similar unlimited fossils deck except focusing on MD Kabutops, MD Omastar and MD Zapdos. The issue with your build is that you have no real answers to Ex Dragon Frontiers Latios/Latias combo. I would suggest an increase for Gust of Wind and some item finders and Junk Arm so that you can recover the fossils in case Omanyte MD fails.

I ran a similar unlimited fossils deck except focusing on MD Kabutops, MD Omastar and MD Zapdos. The issue with your build is that you have no real answers to Ex Dragon Frontiers Latios/Latias combo. I would suggest an increase for Gust of Wind and some item finders and Junk Arm so that you can recover the fossils in case Omanyte MD fails.

It's 100-card Singleton, so I can only run 1 Item Finder, 1 Catcher, 1 Junk Arm etc. I've thought about Recycle, but I don't like coin flips in this format

I see the combo with aerodactyl and all the devolving stuff now. That link in your sig was really helpful, especially the list of staples for the format. I hope it takes off, perhaps one day old cards will see tournaments again. I wonder if pokemon will take any notice of 150, they could really help it be more popular. probably not though, they dont get money when people use old cards.

sorry totally missed that. What about Azelf for if you want a specific pokemon that ends up prized?

Actually, thanks to the rules of 150, you don't (usually) have to worry about that! :D

At the start of a game, you draw 15 cards, choose 7 for your hand, and shuffle the rest before placing them down as prizes. That way you usually have a decent hand and you know what your prizes are

Somehow I missed that you're a new player RogueListers, that just makes your list all the more amazing, I thought you were a Poke-veteran by the looks of it :p I'm thinking you might need an extra tech or 2 for the Trainer lock match-up as not being able to play your "Basics" really hurts 0_0 Maybe the Twist Mountain / Underground Lake suggestion isn't so bad as a back-up plan and more counter Stadiums can't hurt either.

Are you playing in HumanDestroyers 150 tournament? I might if I have time! If you ever want to try the deck inbox me though, I've got Redshark and LackeyCCG.

This wouldn't be legal for that tournament because Blend Energy is in there.

Also, how are you getting Armaldo out? I can't see a way to evolve it anywhere.

This wouldn't be legal for that tournament because Blend Energy is in there.

Also, how are you getting Armaldo out? I can't see a way to evolve it anywhere.

Mysterious Fossil works for all fossil types in this format, so I'd just Rare Candy to it. Also, Blend Energy is there for the convenience, but I could easily replace it with a Basic Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back