Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Franklin TN, ZOMG YANMEGA/SCIZOR WINS

Dragonitegirl07

Hello everyone! This is Taylor M's Master cities report. Been a while since I posted here :)

Last week I played the same thing and took top 4, only losing to someone during swiss when I could not find a supporter and Jayson H (playing Lux/chomp) in the finals where he donked me game 1 and we had to move on to game 3. (final record there was 4-2)

First, let me explain the deck. The two main cards in it are Yanmega Prime and Scizor Prime, with the MD Scizor as well. Seems kinda random, right? Well, considering Yanmega has both the ability to attack for free on top of having a free retreat while Scizor has the potential to 1-hit anything if it has enough energy on it. Both have sturdy basics with 70 hp and syther even has free retreat (using the jungle one).

The main strategy is to start off with a fast Yanmega. Since I play a 4-4 line, this is not hard to do at all. With a large amount of judge and copycat, it is simple to match the number of cards in the opponents hand, no matter how big or small they keep it. As you rotate Yanmegas, not really caring if a few die since they don't take much effort to get out, you charge up one Scizor Prime on the bench. It's body drastically reduces the chance it will be sniped since pokemon with special energy on them can't hurt it.
When you have around four metal energy on it, you bring up the Scizor and proceed to take your last few prizes. If they play something silly like Shedinja or Umbreon, you play the other Scizor which does 30 (+ 50 if they have a special energy attached). Its also great for taking a few cheap unsuspecting kills against things like honchcrows or unleveled Garchomps.

What's great about the deck is its absolutely relentless. In total, you have 8 attackers and aside from the Scizor Prime, they only need the bare minimum to do around 70 damage.

Now for the tournament! There were thirteen masters in total, making it a top 2 cut.

Round 1 ( Sam L: Vile/Pluff): Poor Sam, he was sick all week and looked as if he were about to topple over during the match. Despite this, he played an excellent game. I got out an early Sizor with 2 energies to take my first 2 prizes. Behind it, I get a few Yanmegas up. Just when I thought he couldn't kill my Scizor, he plays a blackbelt, forcing me to fall back on the Yanmegas as I set up another Scizor. When it's tied 2-2 in prizes, I bring up the other Scizor with four energies on it, 2 of which are special metal. He gets a shaymin set up. I eventually get enough energy on it, the shaymin is obsolete even when he stalls with leaf guard and I'm able to 1-shot anything he has. I kept my bench limited to 1 or 2 pokemon the whole game so he had to work to 1-shot anything I had. I knew he had a second black belt so I was quite nervous throughout this game. I win.

(1-0)

Round 2 ( James W: Sp tool box): This game had to be one of the worst games in the history of Pokemon. He starts with a Bronzong, I with a Mankey. Aside from a crappy bebe's for a terrible uxie draw (that gave me a hand consisting of 4 energies and 3 Scizors), no supporters were played for the first 6 turns. I was able to get a Yanmega, but it got to the point where his hand was unmatchable so I drew/ passed for a few turns. He on the other hand ends up attacking with Uxie and Azelf, both of which he got nothing on. The game truely starts when I beautifully top deck into a Syther which I immediately begin charging up. Unforttunately, he draws a Cyrus not long after. He is able to get a dialga going, but ends up having to deafing for no damage due to the special metal on my Scizor Prime. I judge his hand away before he can use Cyrus again. He couldn't get anything else going and I end up with three special metal on Scizor so he can't touch me. Win again.

(2-0)

Round 3 (Clay M, my dad: Ttar/ Honchcrow): His deck is pretty much at a huge handycap against me since 2/3s of his energy are special. He takes a few prizes against my Yanmegas, but he can't do much when I come out with a Scizor Prime and 2-shot everything he has. Sorry dad, I win :)

(3-0)

Round 4 ( Christopher M: Gengar/ Machamp): He gets a Gengar up pretty fast in this match, but I two shot it with my Yanmega. He flips heads on fainting spell. I have a decent bench with a replacement Yanmega. I eventually get a Scizor Prime with 4 energies on it and 2 pokemon on my bench. He has an active Gengar with a benched Uxie. I play a seeker forcing him to have no bench and I kill his active, Ftw!

(4-0) Woot Undefeated!!! Now for Finals!!!

Finals ( Christopher M again: Gengar/ Machamp):

-Game 1: He has a pretty terrible start. He has no supporter and I get a Yanmega out fast and take the first two prizes pretty fast. He scoops.

-Game 2: This game clearly made up for his bad start first game because he is completely set up by turn 2. His field includes 2 Machamps, 2 Gengar, 1 Uxie X, and a Spiritomb with a call attached. The only bad thing about this is he can't seem to find any energy aside from 1 psychic which he attaches to Gengar and does some spread out shadowrooms. I have a few Yanmegas going and I've already started on charging my Scizor Prime. He shadow rooms an Uxie I put down and I simply Seeker it up. I kill 2 Gengars with my Yanmegas and he pulls 2 heads on the faintingspell (he was 3-0 for the FS flips). He still can't get energy and I overrun him when I get Scizor with enough on it to 1-shot the Machamps.

Viola!!! There you have it boys and girls. A completely rogue deck doing well at cities! TAKE THAT METAGAME!!!!!! 9-2 thru 2 events

Last edited:
I know her!!!!

Good job girl o mine. And no...I did not LET her win. :cool:. I run 3 double colorless and 4 special dark and 6 basic dark....I ran out of basic darks.

I had removed Palmer's from my deck because it was driving me crazy...hindsite I guess

Back