Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Front page article discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnaann

I want to bring up the point that has been brought up on alot of Front Page articles, but it seems like the problem won't disappear.

Why are poor quality Front Page articles being put up with no advice from whoever is in charge of this? They always get heavily criticised, and the people who spend several hours trying to make a good front page article with what they feel is good having to go through the humiliation of having their article rated 1 star and sent to the Deck Help and Strategy forum? This doesn't benefit people who use the Pokegym, the person who might have potentially written several articles for the Pokegym increasing in quality as they get more experienced in the game or the reputation for the website myself.

I don't understand why we even have a submission process for articles because it feels like nothing would get rejected, or get any advice given on it. It comes across as bullying to have someone put people through this and continue to do this - if you don't have time to do that, then you shouldn't be volunteering to be the Front Page editor.

I know this isn't just my opinion, you can see from the replies on the Donchamp article to see nearly everyone feels the same way.

Or hire them, if none are already present :S

Seriously though, it can be hard for newcomers to the game as is; why not give them a helping hand - let them know the standards of a front page article, give them advice on how to write it, maybe even test their decks out against meta decks instead of random stuff?

...And when they feel they arfe experienced enough to write a front page article, get them to PM a moderator for permission to do so or something? Idk, but it's an idea at least.

This happens when people try to be creative and tell other people how to play bad decks.

"Whats in a Name" and Blissey/Drapion are both (slightly) pointless but are rated well because... they are written well!

Decks like Mewperior and Steelix are structurally fine and the lists are good however in my critical opinion FAR to little is said about each individual card. They simply say why the card is in there but WHEN do you play it? HOW do you play it? I think most articles (however well members rate them) lack the description that makes them worth reading.

When writing an article, look back at old ones for inspiration. LBS, destiny, and Palkia lock are some of my all time favorites.

There's 2 things they can do . . .

1. Come out and say that the FP is for any deck that the author can be bothered to write up in front page style (images, sections etc), regardless of actual quality. That way, all the mods have to do is make sure the spelling and grammar are decent and that there are no major ruling errors. Readers will then know that there's nothing 'special' about FP articles, they are just prettyful versions of what gets posted in DHS.

2. Save the FP for articles that are good, and that will benefit the community. Even new players don't benefit from substandard lists . . . the implied PokeGym seal of approval will just mislead them. This means the FP mods challenging the list, helping the writer to anticipate criticism, and justify what they submit.

Obviously, I would prefer option 2, but it's not my site and I don't know what the people in charge want for the front page anymore.

I could be wrong on this, but I get the impression that the front page mods are guilty of being too nice. If a young or new player works hard on an article, they don't want to reject it, or force them into (necessary) major changes. The problem is that in the end they end up doing more damage when the article gets ripped to bits and demoted to DHS. That's a bad thing to happen . . . it makes the mods look weak, the writer look incompetent, and the members look cruel.

And that's unfair on everyone.

It's happened too often.

I agree that the standards need to be raised a bit (the Donchamp thing is just inexcusable), but there's nothing wrong with rogue decks being put on the FP as long as they are legitimately tested and the articles are well written. Sure, the newer players might not get the idea or even care at all, but those articles give the more experienced players something to look at, or even a jumping-off point for their own unique deck idea.

This happens when people try to be creative and tell other people how to play bad decks.

"Whats in a Name" and Blissey/Drapion are both (slightly) pointless but are rated well because... they are written well!

My stupid deck of coins will NEVER catch on now!

Poor Blissey. lol.

I still say that no article has eclipsed the overall quality of this one, but I'm kinda biased about that...

I'm have writen an article on how to write an article... does anyone think it would be even worth posting? If so, I'll go for it.

IMO what matters isn't even the deck's potency. I'd much rather see well-written Feraligatr articles than poorly-written Dialga articles.

IMO what matters isn't even the deck's potency. I'd much rather see well-written Feraligatr articles than poorly-written Dialga articles.

Agreed.

I'd also rather play a good Feraligatr deck than a really terrible Dialga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back