Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Fun" CC Colorado Report

SteveP

Okay, so after a few weeks of frustrations with how unbalanced DP-on is (see my rant at http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89797), I decide to play something a bit different and go into the tournament with medicore expectations (get at least 2 wins). I chose Raichu/Vire/UnG/Claydol.

The tournament got off to a late start due to two TOM crashes. That didn't help the stress level of the PTO because we only had 7 hours to complete the tournament. The swiss in masters finished with less than 1 hour before closing, so the PTO chose to run the top 8 playoffs elsewhere.

Round 1 (new kid from down-under playing dark - Weavile/Darkrai). I go first with active Pikachu, drop energy, pass. He starts with sneasel, double slaps for 20. I go find Raichu (bebe's), charge him up. He drops darkrai, slumbers me and slaps me again for 10 more. So, I need a Raichu LvX and some energy to pull off the double KO. With only 3 cards in my hand (bebe, oak, and night maint), I chose to play it same, go for the claydol. Cosmic power, draw Lux ball, 3 energy, and some other stuff. Win. But, when I lux-search, Chu is prized. Luckily, my Azelf saves me for the win. Dang, I should've made sure Raichu was there on my second turn Bebe's.

1-0

Round 2 (Matthew with Heatran and grass) He totally hand crapped, tries to live a few turns with grass status effects and tricks, but my UnownG's come out and stop that quick. By turn 4 I was rolling and it was basically over.

2-0

Round 3 (Chris - Champ/Rock) Not much chance here, so I decided just to have some "fun." He gets going quickly, gets three prizes ahead before I decide to take at change to voltage shoot Machamp. First flip, heads, so I attack again. Another heads. Dang, no prize, no KO. Game is pretty much over; otherwise, I might have actually had a "slight" change to come back. As it turns out, by un-evolved pikachu needed Bika-Bika to KO his Champ, then his Regirock rolled tails and couldn't KO Pikachu. So, I evolve to Raichu, attach and KO the 'rock. 2 prizes, but obvioulsy no chance to come back after Chris gets the 2 "saving" heads. Oh well, it was a fun match regardless.

2-1

Round 4 (Jamie with Dusk/Gar) Finally, the deck I was made to beat 2/3. I have everything going quickly with the UnG's, slowing him down, plus he hand craps. I get in a couple "free" recharges and it's basically over. I keep my bench at 3, not knowing if he's running Dark Palm (he wasn't), so it took me a couple more turns, but it was basically over.

3-1

Round 5 (forgot his name - Dusky/Gliscor) He sets up fairly quickly but I do too. My UnG's slow him down, so he decides to use the promo Dusky. I refuse to hit it, especially since he levels it up to Dusknior LvX. I Voltage Shoot his claydol and and gligar he's trying to power up. So, instead of hitting my Raichu LvX, he warps me. I gladly give him a free KO, but my Raichu is still powered up with 3 energy. I voltage shoot a benched Dusknior with 40 damage. He warps my Raichu out again. I give him another free KO and voltage shoot a gliscor for prize #4. Now, he gets smart and hits my Raichu, but has no damage to remove. By know I have 5 lightning on Raichu so I finally KO his LvX and take the damage, but I only need one more prize for the win. He "stadiums" the LvX (I'm cheering inside) and KO's my Raichu. Now, with a fully powered Vire LvX, I pulse barrier, discard the Dusky LVX, and protect myself. He para-poisons me, hoping to KO my Vire next turn, but I warp out. He does the math and brings out an undamaged Uxie. But, I attach energy #2 to Raichu and play Buck's for the win.

4-1

Swiss is over, and I'm in the playoffs, but my wife calls and says she's going to the movies. I decided that I'd already had my fun with a "surprising" deck (at least in our area), that I could only beat 1 of the top four decks (Machamp-Chris, Regigigas-Bret, Dusk/Gar-Jeri, Kingdra-Ian), so I drop. As it turns out, Stewart's anti-Dusk/gar deck moves into the 8th spot against Jeri's undefeated deck. Stewart is in my generation, so I'm happy. Hopefully, he did well with it in the playoffs. He played a Starmie/Weavile/Lake Boundary/Plus Power deck which destroys Dusk/Gar, most of the time. But Jeri's a great player, so I'll be interest to see the results.

Props

Chris, for letting me see the funner-side of Pokemon again
Paul, got to be a HJ at a non-pre-release premier event. GJ Paul! Well-run judging.
PTO Dwayne - still one of the best - decision to run a 2nd Cities
Non-tier 1 decks

Slops

TOM's double crash
TOM's player roster with Master's ages printed - now every knows I'm the oldest player in CO - I beat RonP by 1 year.

Last edited:
Good report steve. Love seeing you at tournys but I lost first round off playoffs b/c jeff told me stewart was running kingdra. I staryed second with a duskal and a uxie in hand 4 setup. I was surprised 2 see a flipped over sable. Autoloss. I wish I knew wat the deck was I wouldn't have lost b4 I played... second game I setup too quick and took it quike with night spin and third game went to him on time. Ps you missed tristan today!

I like how our game was one of your main props... at least it was fun beating up on you (joking) I'm sure you would have won if I didn't get both of those Strongwilled flips

Oh and Stewart beat Jerry but lost to Micheal in top 4!

Back