Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Furious Fists Politoed's King's Song and Legendary Treasures Mew EX's Versatile

Golden Suikun

Hello. I would like a ruling clarification on the proper interplay between Politoed in Furious Fists and Mew EX in Legendary Treasures. Politoed's King's Song Ability states "Ignore all Colorless Energy in the attack cost of each of your Poliwag, Poliwhirl, and Poliwrath's attacks." Mew EX's Versatile Ability states "This Pokémon can use the attacks of any Pokémon in play (both yours and your opponent's). (You still need the necessary Energy to use each attack.)" If I'm attacking with Mew EX and decide to use an attack from my Poliwag, Poliwhirl, or Poliwrath, does Politoed's King's Song ability apply when Mew EX is attacking, or is Mew EX required to meet the Colorless Energy requirements for those attacks?

Suppose I have the Furious Fists Poliwrath with Steamroll (three colorless for 60 + 30 to one benched Pokémon) on the bench, and Mew EX is my active. Does Mew EX need three energy to use the attack, or could it attack without energy since Politoed's ability specifies that those attacks' colorless energy requirements can be ignored (it does not specify that Poliwag, Poliwhirl, and Poliwrath must be the attackers)?

Mew does not get the benefit of that effect. It would have to pay the attack cost.
Thanks for the Prof Test question, though! :)

Back