Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Game Loss Penalties Given before Top Cut

King Piplup

With the new deck list penalties and players' seeming inability to properly write them, I suspect this may start to come up more often:

Players A and B are opponents in a Top 8 match. Both players receive game losses pertaining to deck list errors.

I'm fairly sure only one game ends up being played based on this compendium ruling:
Q. What happens if a Double Game Loss occurs in Game 1, 2 or 3 in match play swiss? In match play single elimination?
A. The principle is that two game losses is a match loss. A double game loss in Game 1 starts the next game, but the winner of Game 2 wins the match as one player already has two losses in a best of three format. A double loss in Game 2 means the person who won Game 1 is the winner. A double game loss in Game 3 means a double match loss in swiss, but starts a sudden death game in single elimination rounds. (May 8, 2014 TPCi Rules Team)

It's not a double-loss in a single game, but I'd argue the principle of two losses=opponent wins still stands.

The big thing: deciding who goes first in the "3rd" game. Seemingly, the only sensible thing to do is to flip a coin—but I'm not sure how to justify this. The best I can think of: the game losses are applied before the match "starts," thus, the coin isn't flipped until the beginning of the one true "game" anyway. However, I know some areas that make players go through the formality of setting up for a game before the loss is given, which my theory doesn't fit. Moreover, when a single loss is given, the offending player gets the choice to start Game 1 as if they'd lost in a conventional way.

Is there a better way to do this that I'm missing? A better way to justify the coin flip for the single game? General thoughts?

With the new deck list penalties and players' seeming inability to properly write them, I suspect this may start to come up more often:

Players A and B are opponents in a Top 8 match. Both players receive game losses pertaining to deck list errors.

I'm fairly sure only one game ends up being played based on this compendium ruling:

It's not a double-loss in a single game, but I'd argue the principle of two losses=opponent wins still stands.

The big thing: deciding who goes first in the "3rd" game. Seemingly, the only sensible thing to do is to flip a coin—but I'm not sure how to justify this. The best I can think of: the game losses are applied before the match "starts," thus, the coin isn't flipped until the beginning of the one true "game" anyway. However, I know some areas that make players go through the formality of setting up for a game before the loss is given, which my theory doesn't fit. Moreover, when a single loss is given, the offending player gets the choice to start Game 1 as if they'd lost in a conventional way.

Is there a better way to do this that I'm missing? A better way to justify the coin flip for the single game? General thoughts?

Yes essentially only 1 real game is played.

Coin Flip to decide who goes first in their only actual game to be played.

Having players set up the game for their double game loss (or single game loss) is a silly waste of time. Are there areas that really make their players do this?

Having players set up the game for their double game loss (or single game loss) is a silly waste of time. Are there areas that really make their players do this?
I have definitely seen it before. That said, I've also traveled a bit over time, and it's an area I've not been to in a long while—unsure if it's still their standard practice.

Back