Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Game Over!

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
GAME OVER!

A Deck by Wayne Eggert
For MD-on Modified Format

This is a relatively new deck (which started here on the Gym) which is starting to see success from a few of the members of Team Hatter. Most notably, the success of Dart Pika's brother, known here as Pikamaster, where he went 5-1 in Swiss at his recent State Championships. It was mentioned on Hatter that an article should be written on the deck so it could be shared with the rest of the Pokemon community, so here ya go!

4 Jirachi
2 Palkia G
2 Palkia G LV.X
2 Dialga
2 Dialga LV.X
2 Drifloon
2 Drifblim
2 Uxie
1 Azelf

4 Pokemon Collector
4 Seeker
3 Level Max
3 Twins
3 VS Seeker
3 Warp Point
2 Bebe's Search
2 Bench Shield
2 Cynthia's Feelings
2 Research Record
1 Copycat
1 Luxury Ball
1 Pokemon Rescue

4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Rescue Energy
2 Upper Energy

Strategy

The whole strategy is to make your opponent run out of usable Pokemon. You accomplish this by completely locking your opponent for just one turn. Once the lock is in place, it doesn't matter what deck you're facing; the game is over! How do you establish such a lock? Quite simple really!

[gal=45535]Abuse Me Please![/gal]

showimage.php
First and foremost, you need to make sure you have a Jirachi active. It will be your active for nearly the entire game so make sure you keep at least one in reserve on the bench and you may want to keep a Rescue Energy on it just in case. Using it's first attack, you double every Supporter you play. This is key as it makes for a very fast set-up and ultimately, with Seeker, leads to the easy win. Also, make sure you use Powers frequently, even if you don't necessarily need to, so you can draw out your opponent's Power Sprays quickly. Your opponent will never know whether you're bluffing the Power or ready to go for the win and it makes for a very difficult time timing the Spray.

When set up, your field should look like this, so keep it in mind while abusing Detour.

Active:
Jirachi

Bench:
Jirachi; Dialga LV.X, Dialga LV.X, Palkia G LV.X, Drifblim (with 3 Energy)

While a double Dialga LV.X isn't absolutely necessary, it is helpful.

[gal=42506]One, Two, Skip a Few![/gal]

showimage.php
This is THE pivotal card in the deck, and though you are using it just for it's Power it does have to be timed correctly. Make sure you have the set up as detailed above and play your Trainers/ attach Energy before using Time Skip but do not play your Supporter just yet or you'll mess yourself up. Also make sure you have the equivalent of two Seekers in your hand (either two Seeker or Seeker and VS Seeker). Once you've done all of this, use Time Skip. If it's successful, you are then ready to proceed with the following steps. If it fails, you just repeat the instructions of this paragraph your next turn.

Only once you have your Time Skip lock established with the two Seekers in hand and Jirachi active, proceed in this precise order- any deviation will cause you to come up empty:

1. If your opponent has more than three Pokemon on their bench, you have to get that number down. Palkia G LV.X does this job perfectly with its Poke Power Lost Cyclone, so use that Power now (it can be used before Time Skip as long as it doesn't force you to Lost Zone Pokemon crucial to the strategy; this is just the safest timing). You will have also likely used Lost Cyclone while building your bench to clear off any un-needed Pixies you may have used during the crux of your set up. Anyhow, now that you and your opponent are down to three Pokemon on the bench, you can sweep the board.

[gal=51037] We Don't Need No Stinking Benches![/gal]
showimage.php

2. With Jirachi active, play your first Seeker. It doesn't really matter much which of your Pokemon you pick up as long as it isn't your powered up Drifblim. Also, remember to place the basic you picked up back on the bench. Then, just Detour and pick the same Pokemon back up.

3. Your opponent draws and their turn ends.

4. All that's left now is starting your turn, benching that basic again, and dropping your other Seeker. Now your opponent will have no Pokemon left on their bench. Retreat Jirachi for free, promoting Drifblim.

[gal=50602] Balloons are Evil![/gal]

Finally, Take Away for the win!

Tech'd Out

There are many techs in this deck. In fact you could probably call EVERY card in it a tech! As I'm sure you noticed, nowhere am I advocating trying to take prizes here. I'm not even sure you can take prizes with it to be honest. As a result, you'll be playing from behind. Take advantage of that and exploit the crap out of Twins, Cynthia's Feelings, and Upper Energy! Getting any four cards or drawing 16 in one turn is boss!

The many utility cards keep you in the game and give you versatility. Level Max and Warp Point allow you to get all those LV.Xs out with speed which just shouldn't even be legal while VS Seeker allows the reusage of any of your previously played Supporters.

[gal=42338]Little, Yellow, Different![/gal]
showimage.php

Safety nets like Bench Shield, Pokemon Rescue, Azelf, and Dialga keep you rolling by protecting key Pokemon and give you what you need, when you need it even when what you need is in your discard pile or your prizes!

Match-Ups

This may be the first time ever that everyone on PokeGym will agree with this section!

Pull off the Lock- Win EVERY time regardless of the deck you're facing; fail to pull off the lock- Go down in flames!

In closing, this is a great deck no matter your skill level. For a beginning player it forces you to learn proper set up since a proper set up is the only way you can win. For those who are wishing to bring their game to the next level, it makes you think ahead of cause and effect while setting up. For the old hat, it's just a lot of fun. There's nothing quite like being in the middle of a game where your opponent thinks they are routing you and then all of a sudden see the dawning realization come across their face once you establish the lock!

LOL.

FUN DECK CONCEPT. I always wanted to figure out how to get TIME SKIP to work.

A deck more annoying than QUADRO UXIE DONK.

Last edited:
Dang... I was just looking at cards today and saw that Dialga Level X was still legal and thinking that would be an interesting card to use.

I don't know whether I'm astounded, amuzed, or mad that this deck is possible.

From the Modified Legal Cardlist, which can be found on the home page:

The following is the updated version of all English released cards that are legal for the Modified Format, 2010-2011 season starting September 1st, 2010...

:setsNDP:PUI Blackstar Promos
Tropical Wind 026
Tropical Tidal Wave 027
Dialga LvX DP17
Tropical Wind DP05
Any promo cards from DP22 and up
HGSS01 and up

DP37, as well as any other Dialga LV.X, is legal. That's why I chose the picture of the promo- to head this discussion off.

Last edited:
How necessary is research record? Would perhaps Pokemon Communication or Junk Arm or one more level max and pokemon rescue be better?

How necessary is research record? Would perhaps Pokemon Communication or Junk Arm or one more level max and pokemon rescue be better?

Let me answer that with a question- How many times have you used Uxie's Time Skip and gotten a dead draw?

Research Record all but eliminates that issue. I have never had a problem building my bench and working the strategy as it is and I prefer to live by the old saying 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'. Please try it though and let me know what you find, but more and more I'm finding Research Record an extremely valuable card for pretty much every deck I run.

I had heard about this deck. It is an interesting concept. If you can avoid a bad set up (and a trainer lock), you can manage the lock IMO.

Keith

I don't know whether I'm astounded, amuzed, or mad that this deck is possible.

:lol:

That's a great quote Ninjask! The silly thing is that not only is the deck possible, but it actually works really well. There is some luck involved, obviously, given the nature of Dialga lv.X's power ... but most games one's opponent will usually hit double tails at some point prior to taking their 6th prize.

Of course, if you play certain decks, then this deck can be countered. ie LuxChomp. If you know their winning move is the drifblim, you bat it then dragon rush it on the bench to KO it. You only run 2 of them and LuxChomp wont play BTS. No Palmers in there either and only 1 poke rescue. Unless you have a rescue attached to it, it goes bye bye. (My guess, rescue will be on it most of the time)

Keith

PS a nice lost remover would be nice to use ag'st it 1st :)

Of course, if you play certain decks, then this deck can be countered. ie LuxChomp. If you know their winning move is the drifblim, you bat it then dragon rush it on the bench to KO it. You only run 2 of them and LuxChomp wont play BTS. No Palmers in there either and only 1 poke rescue. Unless you have a rescue attached to it, it goes bye bye. (My guess, rescue will be on it most of the time)

Keith

PS a nice lost remover would be nice to use ag'st it 1st :)

Yeah, Lost Remover can definitely be problematic against it, but you can't Dragon Rush a Dialga with Bench Shield. On the Dialga and the Drifblim is where those belong.

As an option you can drop the Copycat and a Seeker without hurting the deck at all, max out your Bench Shield, and only leave targets you want your opponent to KO like Jirachi so you can dig out that Twins Engine. :)

Last edited:
You probably could Ninjask. You only need two Seekers for that and you have the equivalent of up to seven with VS Seeker.

Back