Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Garrett's 1st place win with Arithmetic.

Raichu2063

So thursday i meet up with steve silvestro and we just goof off all day and never really playtested like we were going to. So we wake up friday morning get in r rental car and head to NC. We arrive around 6:00 and then me and John silvestro did some playtesting. Before playing some games with John i wasn't sure on what to play. I was between straight ban w\techs or arithmetic. So i play John with arithmetic and i beat GG and Mag. So i was like well this beats the top 2 decks i'll play this. So we all just mess around after that and go to sleep. We arrive at the place the next morning and see many familiar faces. Then around 12 something we start.

Round 1- Mirror
I was a little worried on this one because i know this game is really about who gets the better start and he got a T2 Ban and claydol. all i had was a baltoy active and a shuppet, baltoy and magikarp on the bench. A few turns later i hit a claydol and start to get going after he has taken 2 prizes. I use gyrados w\Jolt* to make it where he ahs to hit me or i am just going to keep on dealing out damage. So he ends up attacking it to where my Gyrados had ten left so i retreat it to the bench (it had a WP energy on it) and save it for when he brings out this gyrados. I use that gryados to make it where i have one prize left. He ko's it this turn with another gyrados. So we r tied at prizes 1-1. I bring up my banette with 1 energy on it and no damage. I then use warp point to bring out a gyrados with an energy and no damge on it yet and he brings out a banette and i use enegy switch to move an energy from banette to gryados and then drop a DRE(the bannete had 10 damage on it)to ko it.GG.
1-0

Round 2- GG
I got a turn two banette and just started running thru everything he had.
2-0

Round 3-GG
This went just like the other GG match. T2 banette is just to good.
3-0

Round 4- GG
This game was different from the rest. First off this kid knew his deck well and played well overall. Then i start with
Jolt*. He gets a turn to Gardy with a dre and a psychic. And all i have is a banette and magikarp on the bench. So i then get set up and ko his gardy and we start to go back and forth on prizes. then time was called and we both had 1 prize left and he was able to draw into his dusknoir(it already had 1 energy as duskull) and he lays a dre and wins.
3-1

Round 5- GG
I just get up some banettes and start rolling thru him.
4-1

Top 8-GG
Game 1- I get up alot faster than she does and get out banettes with a boundry and roll thru her deck.
Game 2- Same as game 1
5-1

Top 4-GG(the one that i lost to)
Game 1- I get a baltoy start and he gets going faster than i do. I eventually get going and get set up and we start going back and forth. It then gets down to 1-1 prizes. i used a warp point and made him bring out his claydol and i hit ti with gyrados who had 3 damage counters on it and do 60. I di that so he couldn't just bring me down for the win and he would have to attack the gyrados he relized this and just attacked me leaving me at 10 hp remaining and i take the last prize to win. GG.

Game 2- I turn 2 him with banette.
6-1

Top 2-GG
Game 1- I get up banettes fast and just outspeed him .
Game 2- Same thing.
7-1

So i won with arithmetic and get a free trip to nats and i owe all this to John and Steve silvestro. I don't know what i would do with out you guys and i appreciate everything u both have done for me. And thank you Steve for giving me the deck; idk how i would've done without you two. Thank you.

Props-
My dad for taking me to events this year and being there for me
Steve for just being the MAN
John for the great playtesting
Bobby and Aaron for the great ride home
Erik for beating Tom wise and winning with arithmetic
Jimmy for making the deck
Ryan for just being ryan
winning a free trip to nats
kant for being kant
John finding my backpack that had worlds '07 tropical page an my top 16 cards
A well run event
Tati for making it thru drama

Slops-
DRAMA
10 hr car ride
losing my backpack for a period of time

Last edited:
Way to go Garrett. Us Garrett's gotta stick together. Unfortunately I only have 1 t in my name, but whatever, you did really good, and gave a well written report. One question though - what age group did you play in? I couldn't tell by what you wrote.

Yeah all NC was GG so the play was a banette varient and i'm happy with the playcall i made and owe that to steve silvestro. Thank You to the guys who have said congratz and ily to zach lol.

-Garrett

Congrats Garrett,
Now if you could keep track of your pack like you do your games all would be good...lol. Glad you had it all along. Nats should be a blast.

Tell your Dad that Carson is signing up with the Marines now after his advice. He is heading to Tampa for his test tomorrow.

Jim

Congrats Garrett. Of course, you beating my son in rd1 w/ the mirror match sent him to the land of random decks and you to the golden land of GG (where this deck just rolls!) Good to see you and your Dad again. Will see you @ Nats. Venture over to the JR arena when you get a spare moment....I am HJ for the piglets!

Keith

Wow, dude. I played Arithmetic at my regionals and I didn't play a single GG deck. I wish I had had your luck. Good job.

Yeah all it was was GG up there it seemed and i got paired with like all of them lol. Thanks for the congratz brent that sucks u won't be at nationals bro.

Yeah, that Arithmetic deck is NASTY!!! I ran against Nance with MY Rogue(Mismagius+Gallade), I had a PERFECT hand for a T2 Gallade, but guess who I started with, Misdreavus!!! So, Great Job, Garrett, Hopefully I will see you at Nats, but we wont get to play, which stinks. Later, Dude!!

congrats on the win didnt get to go but my son did he was at nc regionals and got 6th. he was the only one that wasnt 10 that made top cut. he just turned 8 lol. the wife said it was lots of fun. great job and good play by play.

Back