Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar and Roserade! Errata Issued!

Serebii1997J

Gengar from the Stormfront expansion is receiving errata to address the correct translation and game effect of this card.

Gengar is receiving errata for its Poké-Power, Fainting Spell. Fainting Spell affects your opponent's Attacking Pokémon, not your Defending Pokémon.

The correct card text should read:

Gengar (Stormfront, 18/100)
Fainting Spell
Once during your opponent's turn, if Gengar would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, you may flip a coin. If heads, the Attacking Pokémon is Knocked Out.

The errata for this card goes into effect immediately. Click here to learn more about Pokémon TCG: Diamond & Pearl—Stormfront.

http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/news/articles/46.html

Roserade is receiving errata for its Poké-Body, Hidden Poison. Hidden Poison affects your opponent's Attacking Pokémon, not your Defending Pokémon.

The correct card text should read:

Roserade (Stormfront, 23/100)
Hidden Poison
If Roserade is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if Roserade is Knocked Out), the Attacking Pokémon is now Poisoned.

Last edited by a moderator:
fire the editor. first it was "you opponent" now this.

and does roserade get no love?? its worded exactly the same as gengar.

I guess it makes it more clear, though to me, the text "Defending Pokemon" referred to your opponent's Pokemon anyways.

I'm very glad they errata'd it. It keeps game terminology clear, which is important for figuring out difficult situations.

Why would such an errata effect the playability of the card? In terms of how the card is played, it seems almost exactly the same.

The card isn't played differently, it's just making the wording consistant. It just puts the true understanding of the card as the litteral text.

no i'm glad they fixed it, cause with out changing the wording he could sit on the bench and ko and opponent...example
Player 1 uses kingdra... his active kingdra does 60 to an active gengar and 20 to a benched... knocking them both out....as worded the following would happen
the active gengar's power would activate and lets say the flip was heads Knock out the active kingdra.
Player 1+2 both send up new pokemon, then gengar on the bench would activate ,and player 2 would get a second coin flip...and if heads ko another pokemon....

the reason i say this would happen is because of the ditto ruling....The ruling says that because there is not a time when there is no active pokemon, a ditto with 60 damage counters on it, in the active position, would not be ko'ed unless your opponent sent up a pokemon with 60 hp or less ...

so because of that ruling, once the first active goes down, there is instantly a second active, which can still be targeted via gengars power(because it's your opponents defending)... very broken... but now it will only ko one pokemon... Very good Catch

No, that's not what the errata is about. That would not happen.
It is because the Defending Pokemon at this point is Gengar. Gengar is not KO'ing itself with a heads flip. It meant to say to KO the Pokemon doing the attack, the... Attacking Pokemon. Hence the name.

This is not an errata. The defending Pokemon has always been your opponent's active Pokemon. It got confusing when we started switching "The defending Pokemon" and "the active Pokemon." PlusPower says it increases damage done to "the active Pokemon." That's so stupid. All asleep/paralysis attacks say "The defending Pokemon." However, both are referring to the same Pokemon: your opponent's active Pokemon.

The defending Pokemon has been, and always will be your opponent's active Pokemon. I don't know why the text was ever messed with. If it hadn't been changed, there would be no confusion.

Well consider this, lets say Gengar is sniped from the bench. Technically speaking your active pokemon is Defending at that moment, so Feinting Spell would target that with the old wording.

So this would make Gengar's Poke-Power work from the bench if it is sniped yes?

The errata does not do that. It always did that.

The errata corrects one and only one word: "defending" becomes "attacking".

Sorry Ness, but it was wrong before. What Pokemon is Attacking? Why would you call that Pokemon Defending?

The terms Defending and Attacking are situational. It depends on who's turn it is.
When It's my turn, my Active is the Attacking Pokemon and the Opponent's Active is the Defending Pokemon.

When it is my opponent's turn, my Active is the Defending Pokemon and my opponent's Active is the Attacking Pokemon.

There is no "always" about these terms. They switch every turn.

and does roserade get no love?? its worded exactly the same as gengar.

My fault. I was supposed to add this when I posted the Gengar errata on Friday but I got distracted by another project. I'll update the errata announcement this afternoon.

Thanks!

There is no "always" about these terms. They switch every turn.

Which is why the terms aren't good terms at all, IMHO.

In Japan, each player has two sorts of Pokémon in play:
* Benched Pokémon, down on the bench
* Battle Pokémon, out there in front

They differentiate between "Your Battle Pokémon" and "Your Opponent's Battle Pokémon". That's it. Gengar is yours, and will always know which Battle Pokémon is yours, and which one is the opponent's.

No wonder the poor PUI translator can get confused at times and write the wrong English term, when the logic of the terms he/she has to write differ so greatly from their Japanese originals thanks to Wizards of the Coast's funky translation decisions - which are still haunting us today, almost 10 years later. :nonono:

As for Gengar, the Japanese version mentions neither Active/Defending nor Battle Pokémon: the text is simply "Knock Out the Pokémon that just attacked (literally: "the Pokémon that used that attack"). Talk about clear and easy wording!

Last edited:
Back