Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar, detailed version. Please LMK what you think!

There have been many deck threads for Gengar, but I think there all lacking Gengar's full potential. I'm hoping with this thread I can bring Gengar's full potential a reality. First off let’s look at the list.

Gengar

Pokemon: 20

4 Gasly (RG)
3 Haunter (RG)
4 Gengar (LM)
2 Pidgey (RG)
1 Pidgeotto (RG)
2 Pidgeot (RG)
4 Jirachi (DX)

Trainers: 27

4 Celio's Network
4 Rare Candy
4 Desert Ruins
2 Holon Transciever
2 Holon Mentor
1 Holon Scientist
2 Steven's Advice
2 Rocket's Admin.
3 Cursed Powder
2 ATM Rock
1 Mr. Brinney's Compassion

Energy:

4 React Energy
2 Double Rainbow Energy
7 Psychic Energy

There are probably a couple things you're questioning in this list, but I'll walk you through every card and explain each cards purpose. First we'll look at the key pokemon.

Gengar-:psychic:
HP-100

Poke Power-Shadow Curse

If Gengar would be knocked out by damage from an opponent's attack, you my put 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's pokemon.

P-Cursed Reaction

Put 2 damage counters on your opponent's pokemon in any way you like. If Gengar has any react energy cards attached to it, put 4 damage counters instead.

PPC-Super Psy Bolt 60

Weekness-Dark
Resistance-Fighting
Retreat Cost-1

- Shadow Curse and Cursed Reaction is what makes this card so amazing. With the combination of that Poke Power and attack you can, in theory, KO any pokemon you want with out it having to be active. Every one knows that Powdacham's Pure Power was half the reason it did so well. Gengar's attack is Pure Power for 4 damage counters instead of 3, assuming you will get a react energy but that’s not a problem. Super Psy Bolt is only really needed for decks that are weakness to Psychic, like Powdacham.

Pidgeot-:colorless
HP-100

Poke Power-Quick Search

Once during your turn(before you attack), you may choose any I card from your deck and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. You can't use more then one Quick Search Poke-Power each turn. This power can't be used if Pidgeot is affected by a special condition.

CC-Clutch 40

The defending pokemon can't retreat until the end of your opponent's next turn.

Weakness-:lightning
Resistance-:fighting:
Retreat Cost-0

-Pidgeot is very important in this deck because its quick search is what makes this deck set up easy. Because none of the pokemon in Gengar's evolution line have any attacks or powers that help set up, Pidgeot is your only helper. Clutch can also be helpful in certain situations. Keeping them from retreating is very nice in the late game after they have been damaged.

Jirachi-Metal
HP-60

Poke-Power-Wishing Star

Once during you turn (before you attack), if Jirachi is your active pokemon, you may look at the top 5 cards of your deck, choose 1 of them and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. Jirachi and your other active pokemon, if any, are now asleep. This power can't be used if Jirachi is affected by a special condition.

MC-Metallic Blow 20+

If the defending pokemon has any poke-bodies, this attack does 20 damage plus 30 more damage.

Weakness-:fire:
Resistance-:grass:
Retreat Cost-1

-this is obviously going to be your preferred starter. Wishing Star will give you a much bigger chance to get out Holon Mentor and/or what ever else you need to get a quick start. When testing, I got a T2 Pidgeot 9 out of every 10 games I played using wishing star to get the cards needed.

Other important pokemon

Gasly-:psychic:
HP-50

C-Slow Trip Gas

At the end of your opponent's next turn, then defending pokemon is now confused.

Weakness-Dark
Retreat Cost-1

-I chose the RG version because of the HP issue. The LM version's HP is 40. Yes, the LM version's attack is nice, but it’s not worth it if he can be KOed in one shot with Jynx's Pure Power or Gengar's Cursed Reaction. Sense your starter is Jirachi anyway, you won't need to worry about attacking with Gasly.

Haunter-:psychic:
HP-70

Poke Power-Head Trip

Once during your turn (before your attack), if haunter is on your bench, you may use this power. One of your active pokemon is now confused.

PC-Confuse Ray 20

Flip a coin, if heads the defending pokemon is now confused.

Weekness-Dark
Retreat Cost-1

-The reason that this pokemon is better then the LM version is because of a couple reason's. Many people think that his power is pointless, but it can actually be very helpful. You’re going to want to retreat Jirachi once you have set up, but what happened if you flip tails to wake up? You won't be able to retreat, but if you use Head trip you will. Confuse Ray is also a good attack in general.

Basic Strategy

The strategy in this deck is not very difficult to figure out. There aren't any special power combinations to work with, it’s just purely placing counters. The only things you have to think hard about is were to place counters. Gengar's power is very nice, but it will only work if Gengar is KOed by damage. If your Gengar is KOed in any other way, like placing counters or Poison, the power won't work. You have to do a lot of math to make sure you get KOed by damage.

Trainers

Celio's Network: This is used to get out any pokemon you need to help set up.

Rare Candy: This is here mainly to give you a T2 Pidgeot, but it can always be used to get out a Gengar if you’re having trouble getting a Haunter

Desert Ruins: This is always very helpful when you're playing a ex based deck. Placing an extra counter in between turns is very nice. And because Gengar can't do a lot of damage at once, it’s essential against ex based decks.

Holon Transciever: This is used to either get you a Mentor or a Scientist, depending on which you need. The nice thing about this card is you can take them from your discard pile. That means you can use Scientist many times over.

Holon Mentor: This is used to get out all the basics you need right away.

Holon Scientist: I guess you could say that this is in place of Copy Cats.

Steven's Advice/Rocket's Admin.: This are obviously here to give you more cards like Scientist.

Cursed Powder: This is just here to place more counters. With this card and Gengar's power combined you can place 6 counters when they KO you, and most pokemon won't be able to recover from that.

ATM Rock: Because Gengar is better at spreading damage instead of doing a lot of damage at once, you won't be able to KO quickly with out a helper. ATM rock is that helper.

Mr. Brinney's Compassion: This is here to save you from giving your opponent a prize.

Energy

React Energy With out this card you won't be able to place more then 2 Counters with Cursed Reaction.

Double Rainbow Energy: With this card you will be able to attack faster. With a React energy and a Double Rainbow energy on Gengar you can use both attacks with out a problem.

Match Ups

Queendom: This matchup could go either way. You Queen is a more powerful attacker, but I believe you have the advantage. For one you will be able to hit their Queens if they retreat. Secondly this deck doesn't have any way to place counters on you besides toxic. That means your Cursed powder and Gengar's power will always come into affect when they KO you (unless they use Toxic to KO you, but that will be very rare). Queendom isn't powerful enough to recover from all that. Even though they play Milotic, they won't have time to use him unless they have a Rare Candy because you can KO their Febis in one shot with Cursed Reaction.

LBS: This match up all depends on your start. Once LBS gets set up, it’s very hard to recover. But because LBS's set up is usually slow, you can come out with the win. Jirachi will help you a lot in getting that set up. If you don't waist time attacking their main attackers with Cursed Reaction then you should be ok. Also, they can't place counters, so you will be able to use cursed powder on them, and that’s always hard to survive. That combined with desert ruins, you should be ok.

Powdacham: This should be one of your easier match ups. Powdacham's main attackers are week to psychic and none of them have more then 110 HP. That means you can KO in one shot with Super Psy Bolt. And if you’re careful they will have to KO you with Damage causing your Cursed powders to come into affect. You shouldn't have any trouble taking these decks down.

Metanite: This shouldn't be too difficult. Metanite can't place counters, so your Cursed powders will come into affect and there pokemon usually can't do enough damage to KO in one shot. They won't do enough damage in time to win.

Rock-Lock: This match up will probably be you’re hardest. Because you’re weak to Dark pokemon they will have they advantage. Another reason they will have the advantage is because they usually KO with ATM rock rather then damage, which makes your Cursed powders worthless. Your going to have to rely on a very fast set up and getting rid of there main attackers before they have a chance to attack. And don't forget to use ATM rocks against them.

SMP: You probably won't have too much trouble against this deck. For one they can't place counters. Secondly they won't be able to hide from you because of Cursed Reaction. Their Scizors ex won't last long take all that into play. After you get rid of their Scizors ex it won't be hard to KO the rest of their pokemon.

ZRE: This should be your easiest match up. None of there attackers can place damage counters and none of their pokemon have much HP. You should have any problem taking them down with Cursed Reaction and Gengar's power. A really cool thing about this deck is that even if they use Pow!'s to mess with your energies they will still have to worry about Cursed Powder/Gengar's effect.

TyRoot:This deck is a very powerful deck. Weezing will mess with you a lot because you won't be KOed by damage, messing up your strategy. But because TyRoot usually only play 2 Weezing lines, your main problem is Typhlosion. You're going to have to make sure Typhlosion can't KO you with its power. In certain situations it will be better to use Super Psy bolt.

Ludicargo: This will probably be another easy match up. The can't place damage counters and Giant Stump will help you a lot. Ludiculo just isn't powerful enough to win.

Well, there it is. If you have any questions Please lmk. And, if nothing else, please tell me what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:
umm, I would trust you on it if you were right. Holon engine is way more helpfull then plusle. With the holon engine you can use Jirachi to get out, not just Holon mentor, but T2 Pidgeots. I'l played with both and Plusle just doesn't cut it. And did you know that this deck won states using the holon engine? gg

thats true Jeremy, but how often are they going to be able to use that to KO? It would be a rare situstion. But I guess I did over look that, thanks for lmk.

Yes, but I don't think that situation will ever come up, and even if it does, his retreat cost is 1. It wouldn't be hard to just retreat to someone else.

thats great he used holon engine, but.... my version get t1-t2 pidgyot beat that also a t2 gengar doing 40 damge 100% of the time by t3. check mate!?

You could say that if you had anything to back it up. Your version is so random that I think God is giving you thoughs so called T2 Pidgeot and Gengar "100%" of the time. If you really are which I doubt you really are. And when you play at a states with your version, Gods not going to be so nice to you.

ill hav 2 agre with pokekid. Gengar deck with holon engine is a no-no just listen 2 us. or actually try it at league idk. i found out that holon engine is bad for gengar when i tested it. just test ut .

I think you putting too much empisise on gengars power, they can just as easily rock you right back, hurting your powders, pidgeot, and koing your active gengar. Also, decks that can remove special energy will cause you alot of headaches. I would drop a mentor for another haunter, just so you don't have to reliy on candy, and I don't think that haunter is that good, at least 2-1 lm. Also, since you have 10 basics, 4/60=15, 7/15, so only about 50% of the time you'll start with jirachi, so your starts won't be that good. I've played well over 30 matchs against gengar, with my champ deck, and its losing pretty bad against it. Gengar isn't that good of a damage hitter, and against decks with exs, you'll be beaten pretty easy.

Papi/Manny said:
I think you putting too much empisise on gengars power, they can just as easily rock you right back, hurting your powders, pidgeot, and koing your active gengar. Also, decks that can remove special energy will cause you alot of headaches. I would drop a mentor for another haunter, just so you don't have to reliy on candy, and I don't think that haunter is that good, at least 2-1 lm. Also, since you have 10 basics, 4/60=15, 7/15, so only about 50% of the time you'll start with jirachi, so your starts won't be that good. I've played well over 30 matchs against gengar, with my champ deck, and its losing pretty bad against it. Gengar isn't that good of a damage hitter, and against decks with exs, you'll be beaten pretty easy.

I'm not. I took into account ATM rocks and I told you that in the Match up-Rock Lock. Just because I don't start with Jirachi doesn't mean I'm going to lose. Theres a very small chance I won't start with either a Jirachi or a Mentor, so it wouldn't hurt me that bad if I didn't start with Jirachi. BTW you guys can go say all this to the guy who won states with practacly the same deck list, using Jirachi. GG

I took into account ATM rocks and I told you that in the Match up-Rock Lock.
But I am talking about the atm rock thats found in almost every deck. That can easily take care of a gengar and a candied bird, and maybe another gengar...And just because gengar won 1 states doesn't mean it needs jirachi...or is even that good, for that matter (not saying it is, but imo, it isn't good). BTW, nice report, made it so even little kids can grasp the basic idea.

Well, thats assuming they will have the ATM when they need it. And ok, lets say thet do, most decks besides Rock-Lock use more then 2 anyway, so its not a huge issue. But anyways thanks for enjoying my thread and giving me some advice.

This deck is really cool, and I should do really well in today's meta game, although I would consider putting in another Haunter. I don't think you would want to get stuck having to Rare candy all of them them.

Slash,

Don't worry about the holon engine naysayers, or the ones who are all up in arms about people ATM-rocking you right back. There's precisely two decks in this format right now that don't mind an ATM-rock, and those two are Jynx and ZRE. So until the people who are saying "atm-rock kills this deck" go ahead and write that on every single thread for every single deck in this forum, I wouldn't worry about it. What are you supposed to do, not lay down Gengar just because they might ATM-rock you? That's ridiculous. If they do ATM-rock you, fine. You don't get to activate Gengar's power. But you do save yourself a Gengar, so there's a balance there. Maybe not an even one, but it ain't like getting knocked out by poison, like Jeremy said.

I'd go 4 ruins, minus a giant stump. I know stump has its advantages, but when you're trying to spread damage around, it'll help your opponent often as well. A fourth stadium that hurts LBS turn after turn is vital. I'd even advocate cursed stone, but Gengar's shtick is a power, not a body....weird.

Plusle is a great card. I'm its biggest fan. But if you're not running lightning, rainbow, or multi, the holon engine is simply better. Jirachi is far more useful mid- to late- game if you're not going to be attacking with plusle. Your estimation that it gets pidgeot out quicker is correct.

Drop a mentor, add a transceiver. Jirachi can grab either, so it doesn't matter so much at the beginning of the game, and again, mid- to late- game transceiver is more versatile and thus more useful.

You will want a holon farmer, and you will want that third haunter. Drop a briney and a psychic. 12 energy seems low, but again, without needing to start with plusle, you don't need to attach immediately, and you'll be able to have a pidgeot up and running by the time energy becomes an issue. The third haunter is actually key not just late game, or against ATM-rocks, but early game as well. Nothing says momentum shift quite as well as taking their t1 candied pidgeot and shuffling it back into their deck. The farmer is also superior to the Briney because you don't mind them knocking out Gengars so much, and because you're running low amounts of energy.

For reference, your deck has 60 cards, so you're fine there, but you've actually got 28 trainers (your totals currently read 26).

Good luck with it.

-Jake/Dendro

Thanks for putting all that thought into the deck Dendro. I would just like to say this deck is amazing. I played it at MD States with the list below and got in 13th out of 40. But it wasn't the decks fault at all. I made a huge miss play on the last when I used Gengar's power on the wrong pokemon, causing me to lose. My final record was 4-2 which was the record of some of the top 8, but I got kicked out through bad resistance. I think if I had practiced more before going I could have gotten first. But anyways, I like some of your changes.

To be honest I never liked 3-1 Stadiums, but every one on this site was convinced that it is so much better, so I put in one. At MD I played 4 Ruins and I helped a ton. I also played 3 Haunter which helped a lot as well. Here is the list I played with and could have won with if not for my miss play,

4-3-4 Gengar
2-1-2 Pidgeot
4 Jirachi DX

4 Ruins
4 Rare Candy
4 Celio's
2 Rocket's A
2 Steven's
2 Transceiver
2 Mentor
1 Scientist
3 Cursed Powder
2 ATM rock
1 Brinney

4 React
2 DRE
7 Psychic

Slash in the sand said:
Metanite: This shouldn't be too difficult. Metanite can't place counters, so your Cursed powders will come into affect and there pokemon usually can't do enough damage to KO in one shot. They won't do enough damage in time to win.

Metagross can't do enough damage to OHKO a Gengar?! I've OHKO'ed Steelix ex's before, meaning that I had to pump out 170 damage in one shot (plus the Desert Ruins, of course). It's not that difficult to knock out a Gengar. Also, the first thing I'll do with my MetaNite is start flipping Pokemon Reversals or use Pow! Hand Extensions against you to KO your Pidgeot with a puny one energy discard. I'll leave you with nothing.

In my own opinion, I think Gengar might work best without Pidgeot and with Battle Frontier. I have a starting decklist if you're interested, but that's up to you. I'll go for the lock sooner than anything else with Gengar.

Good luck with the deck.

I've played metanite many times and it never works out for them like you say. I'm just saying it takes way to long for them to play enough energy's to KO in time. By the time they play enough to KO I would have allready KOed them. And they can't get around my Cursed powder. Its an easy win.

Back