Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar Prime Not as Broken as it's Hype says??

The Wii Man1234

We all know the hype about the new to be released Gengar prime but does it stack up???

First we must take into consideration its attacks its first attack Cast Into Darkness lets you look at your opponents hand and for each energy it lost zones any Pokémon you may find there. This is one of the first problems I spot in this card assuming you go second it would take you a minimum of three turns to win with Lost World which is provided you didn't attach energy to any other Pokémon; and in this SP dominated field that's slow.
This leads me to my second point Cast Into Darkness requires your opponent to have Pokémon in their hand to lost zone or else you virtually waste an attack. I mean if Gengar becomes that big then people will just start putting cards that can discard cards into their deck EG: Absol G X (which also hits for weakness), Blissy PL, Junk Arm, and Regi's to name a few. Finally in this SP dominated format SP will just simply out speed Gengar and will start to tech in either an Absol X or Weavile Gs into their decks. I do understand that a well teched LostGar will overwhelm most non SP decks, but in this SP filled format Gengar won't be that big.

I may be completely wrong but tell me what you think!

Hypothetically, it would be possible to use Jirachi UL (?) to accelerate Psychic Energy along with things like Junk Arm. Combining with Gengar Lv. X to force Level Downs against SP Pokemon would also hurt; SP can't Turn its Lv. Xs without devoting two bench spots to each, so that they can immediately level up without leaving it unprotected in the hand.

There are loads of ways to get Pokemon into your hand - most well-known is Hunter.

It's a strong deck, but I have always believed it's overhyped.

Mr. Mime LL solves using a useless attack.
Rare Candy make it faster than SP.
Gengar Lv. X gives it level down.
Hunter is a last ditch effort if they have no pokemon in their hand.
Blissey, Regice, are both easily hunter-able.
Lost World is easily obtainable with twins since gengar wont take prizes.

Gengar Prime will be good, But it wont be broken.
T-tar will rise in popularity.

and plenty of Non-SP decks are faster than SP decks.. :thumb:

Gengar is relatively strong, if you ignore the fact that it can't do enough base damage to donk an Eevee. :/ It's pure disruption. The card that's overhyped is Lost World. "Oh noez, this will change everythingzz!!111"

No it won't. By the time Gengar gets 6 Pokemon in the Lost Zone, your deck is pathetically crippled anyway. Lost Zone merely cleans up after all the damage is done.

I dissagree, with Plakia SP X it will be super easy to get 6 of your opponents pokemon cards into the lost zone. You can KO the Gengar next turn, and be up 5-0 in prizes, but if they play the Stadium you still loose. i really hate the idea if this deck, but it should be very effective.

Guys I know most of this stuff, why do you think I said a WELL TECHED LostGar, but I am just pointing out the obous problems. I think the one deck that has a shoot at beating it is a well teched Luxchomp or Mirror match.

I dissagree, with Plakia SP X it will be super easy to get 6 of your opponents pokemon cards into the lost zone. You can KO the Gengar next turn, and be up 5-0 in prizes, but if they play the Stadium you still loose. i really hate the idea if this deck, but it should be very effective.

If they're stupid enough to fill their bench the second they see a gengar, probably.

regice/steel says gg gengar. Get all the random pokemon out of your hand. You then have like 2 bench spaces to prepare for palkia.

As long as Hunter can be used and your opponent has benched Pokémon, Gengar has it's strengths. Spiritomb + Hunter will get at least one, but maybe even two pokémon in your opponent's hand. These stack up fast to the lost zone, at least if you're playing anything to accelerate the lost zoning besides Gengar (Palkia G Lv.X, Absol G Lv.X).

The other strength is being able to utilize Twins like no other deck. As Gengar is not drawing prizes to win the game, 2-4 Twins in the deck can pretty much get you anything you may need during your turn. Gengar is one of the few viable lost zone decks, being capable to utilize Twins against everything else but mirror.

After all that, the discard pile is probably the most safest place for your pokémon. You might even win the game with Expert Belted Dialga G, as long as you handle your bench and healing with care (2 pokémon in bench to prevent warp point + hunter, other preferably Garchomp C).

I'm sure someone will invent good usage for Gengar Prime's body too in these matchups. Defending against the first attack is complicated enough, but having to take account the body and the second attack... is like Gengar SF all over again.

Gengar will be nowhere near what the hype suggests. If it gets anywhere, people will just tech Regice into stuff. It isn't that bad, and it has a lot of counters.

People also forget that Gengar has a weakness to Dark, and while it's 2HKOing your guys, you're OHKOing theirs.

But, time will tell, I guess. I've been wrong about hypes before (Jumpluff) so I'm not always right lol.

Three turns is slow? You can't take 6 prizes in three turns without killing 3 exp belted things or killing the whole field..wether through the attack or bodyy this cards disruption is probly enough to cripple you taking out important basics or mid stages or x's

Heck, it can even tech a cursegar, and if I'm right about this, if you KO a stage 2, thats 3 pokemon in the lost zone if you switch to the prime.

This is one of the first problems I spot in this card assuming you go second it would take you a minimum of three turns to win with Lost World which is provided you didn't attach energy to any other Pokémon; and in this SP dominated field that's slow.

Please tell me what SP deck wins in 3 turns or less (as your example of winning in 3 turns with Gengar is too slow) because that's the deck I want to run. I'm sure MANY others would be just as interested.

If they're stupid enough to fill their bench the second they see a gengar, probably.

Here are your choices:

Fill bench= Palkia G to Lost Zone.
Discard Pokemon= Honchkrow to the bench, for Palkia G to then Lost Zone.
Hold them in your hand= Gengar to the Lost Zone.
Hunter (among others)= return Pokemon from bench to hand, and Gengar Lost Zone.

Please give me a fix for all 4 of these scenarios playing out simultaneously. Especially the Palkia G and afterward Hunter to put 4-5 Pokemon into your Lost Zone in just 1 turn. I KNOW this- Absol for Weakness isn't the answer. It's even laughable.

Please tell me what SP deck wins in 3 turns or less (as your example of winning in 3 turns with Gengar is too slow) because that's the deck I want to play. I'm sure MANY others would be just as interested.

Here are your choices:

Fill bench= Palkia G to Lost Zone. Luxray Snipe, OHKO
Discard Pokemon= Honchkrow to the bench, for Palkia G to then Lost Zone. Again, Luxray Bright Look Flash Impact
Hold them in your hand= Gengar to the Lost Zone. No real way of getting around this one, see other responses
Hunter (among others)= return Pokemon from bench to hand, and Gengar Lost Zone.Again, no real way, Gengar does have something going for it.

Please give me a fix for all 4 of these scenarios playing out simultaneously. Especially the Palkia G and afterward Hunter to put 4-5 Pokemon into your Lost Zone in just 1 turn.

Responses in bold.

Back