Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar/Starmie

toxicroak 96

I have heard this is a great way to play Gengar and I love Gengar, I would like to play him again as with the new format he gains a few good matchups, I have a list in mind but I would like to know since I'm in seniors is there a tech I can put in to help with matchups with no powers?

Pretty much every matchup runs powers, at least Claydol. Very few things run no powers (Scizor is the only thing I can think of). Usually, Poltergiest will get you through rougher times without 60-damage Shadow Room.

People like to run a healthy line of Machamp SF (2-1-2-1) with their Gengars just in case, though.

I have heard this is a great way to play Gengar and I love Gengar, I would like to play him again as with the new format he gains a few good matchups, I have a list in mind but I would like to know since I'm in seniors is there a tech I can put in to help with matchups with no powers?

Starmie is actually quite good if you tech in 1 PA Gengar with curse this plus flash bites can ko guarded claydols. :thumb:

If they're not running powers, hit the active w/ poltergist.

There's NO WAY they're ditching Supporters/Trainers AND not benching power-pokes.

So, you're taking prizes and winning the race to 6 one way or another!

If they're not running powers, hit the active w/ poltergist.

There's NO WAY they're ditching Supporters/Trainers AND not benching power-pokes.

So, you're taking prizes and winning the race to 6 one way or another!

Uhh, it's quite easy to Unown G card with Powers and to clear the hand of Trainers and SUpporters.

Relicanth is great in Gengar because if the opponent Unown G's two power-pokes you can still hit stuff for 60 with Relicanth.

Last edited:
I know most matchs run powers but sometimes especially I have the tough opponents like 5-6 but run into the ones that run no powers or trainers, the newer players.

Uhh, it's quite easy to Unown G card with Powers and to clear the hand of Trainers and SUpporters.

That's why this person (and I in one of my builds) is suggesting running Starmie to deal with guarded Claydols etc. If you're not running Gengar Lv.X, then Starmie also helps the Dialga G matchup.

Yup, that's why I think Starmie is a pretty good card. =]

It's just RA's comment that it's nearly impossible people aren't GUARD-ing important Poke-Powers and clearing the hand of trainers/supporters is really quite stupid. Gengar has been out for a while and people know how to manage their hand and what to use Unown G on!

Gengar/Starmie is a good deck. My friend Matt who is in Masters played Gengar/Starmie for Nats and Worlds. He got T8 at Nats and 38th at Worlds with it. I played against him, and it's a good deck. Aside from that, Relicanth might be a good tech.

Back